Who Should Get Priority - Set Collector or Species Collector?

Completely hypothetical:
A World Champions Pack unlimited set collector is one card away from completing the set, missing the Flareon gold star
A Flareon species collector is one card away from 100% species completion, missing the Flareon gold star WCP unlimited

You are e4 friends with both, and you have a spare copy from your bulk box from 10 years ago. Also, this card hypothetically pops up only once every 5 years. (It shows up more in reality)

Who should get priority for that one copy? Offers from each are the same, so price is not taken into consideration, just who would you offer it to?

• Set Collector
  • Species Collector
0 voters
3 Likes

If I couldn’t figure out which one I like the most then I’d flip a coin.

2 Likes

The set collector has been tortured for long enough. Relieve them of their suffering.

4 Likes

Once the set is complete, it is complete forever.
The species collection might get to 100%, but then Pokémon drops another set or promo and you are back to 99%.

10 Likes

most valid response.

1 Like

True, it’s a lifetime commitment! But most of these newer cards/promos that bring you out of 100% are probably going to be somewhat readily available (outside of potential trophy cards). If the species collector has been searching for years for that one unlimited card, extrapolate that assiduousness to every card in the set to imagine the journey for the unlimited set collector.

1 Like

My answer is whoever is willing to pay or trade the most…

1 Like

Assume they both offer the same top dollar for it

I’m biased but species. Set collectors can collect a million other sets or move on if completing gets too hard. Species collectors of a single Pokémon have no Plan B.

7 Likes

Im gonna have to go species on this one, though its close because I am both a set AND species collector.

I always feel happier when I cross an Umbreon off my species list than I do crossing any other card off of a set list. I have to imagine the species collector is going to love the flareon a bit more.

3 Likes

Im with @c0ll3ct0r , just flip a coin. It seems like complete semantics to argue which is more of a “true collector” or more deserving. They’re both collecting what they love so flip a coin to decide.

3 Likes

As a species collector, completion is temporary, pain is forever :^)

9 Likes

I voted species. A set collector’s main goal would just be to finish the set. They might not even particularly like the card or Pokemon. The species collector would obviously be a fan of the Pokemon at the very least.

1 Like

Being a set or species collector would not be a factor at all in who I’d sell the card to. If I’m friends with both, then I’d probably sell it to whoever I like more unless one approached me about it before the other.

Problem solved

IMG_5009

28 Likes

I dont think its that serious, honestly. Just a fun little hypothetical

Personally, im not a species collector, but i have a lot of respect for it. Im way too indecisive to pick a single species to commit to. Id probably sell it to the species collector but it would be a tough decision for sure

1 Like

I disagree with the premise. Species collectors will always pay more.

10 Likes

After seeing @eeveeteam recently whip out the magnifying glass and get a Japanese translator to try to get a mirror unlimited something or other my vote is definitely species.

12 Likes

Eh, I disagree. If a set collector can be expected to just abandon their collecting goal for one set because of an unattainable card, then the species collector should also be expected to abandon their collecting goal for one species. There’s 1000 Pokémon with more on the way - they can just collect another species or move on if one gets too hard.

8 Likes

Both are worthy goals. I think my decision would ultimately fall in how each side perceives the Flareon. Are they collecting it because they love the card, the art, the history, and are chasing that white whale? Or is this just the last piece of a puzzle that they don’t really care too much about, but want so that the entire picture is complete?

So, i guess whoever begs for it more :wink:

I chose set collector because I don’t like Flareon :joy: