Who is Hitmonlee fighting?

Hello collectors, I have been trying to figure out who Hitmonlee is fighting in the Vending Series 2 artwork but I am not able to come to any conclusion.

Based on the claws, this Pokémon seems to be Aerodactyl, however the brown pipe-shaped body part is a bit confusing. As far as I know, Kabutops, as a brown Pokémon, also does not have any pipe-shaped body parts either.

Who do you think the beaten Pokémon might be?

8 Likes

The claw, round body, and noodle-like appendage makes me think of Doduo. But it does not actually look anything like Doduo.

I’m not sure what the noodle-like appendage is meant to be. It could be a neck. It could be a tail. But is the claw a hand or a foot?

I think the creature is laying face down, Hitmonlee is standing on its back, its tail begins at the bottom of the frame and wraps around and behind Hitmonlee’s foot out of sight. The claw is a hand reaching up in defeat. But I have no idea what creature this would describe. No Gen 1 Pokémon I can think of.

It is vaguely Mankey shaped assuming this orientation, but Mankey does not have those reptilian claws and the color is wrong too.

looks like a bird pokemon, i thought mankey but the colours arent right and the claws are very bird-like. Maybe it is the bottom part of diglett! :open_mouth: Maybe Diglett has a tail and claws!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Charizard

1 Like

Ditto taking the shape of a victim

1 Like

It could be Fearow, perhaps, if the creature is flat on its back, the claw is a talon, and the noodle is Fearow’s neck with its head obscured behind Himontlee’s foot.

But even this does not match quite right. That’s very bizarre orientation.

Does Shin-ichi Yoshida have social media? I wasn’t able to find them on Twitter, but maybe we could ask. :open_mouth:

1 Like

the colour is consistent all the way through, that is why I suggested diglett XD It does resemble a bird…Ive looks at all the pokemon released by 1998 and just cant tell lol. I still think Mankey, the talons are off putting but still.

Fearow? The noodle could be its neck.

The real question is why is Hitmonlee bright red lol

2 Likes

could be, i thought fearow but the colour XD however as you said red hitmonlee could mean dif colour other pokemon. Is this a shiny hitmonlee :open_mouth:

1 Like

I would bet a lot of money on it being Mankey.

The brown blob on the left is its hand, and the noodle-like thing is its tail.

Take it to the bank.
EDIT: Oh wait, I didn’t notice that there was what appears to be a talon coming out of the paw. I originally thought it was part of the background…Hmmmmmmm, perhaps I should lay off the gambling.
EDIT 2: Then again, the designs in Gen 1 lacked a lot of consistency in the early days, and Mankey is capable of learning Scratch attack. Perhaps the artist thought Mankey had claws on its paws??

2 Likes

99% sure it’s Fearow. The foot/talon is a perfect match. Fearow has 3 forward facing claws, and they’re double jointed. Perfectly matches this illustration.

Doduo or Dodrio most likely. Maybe Fearow.

Hitmonlee’s shiny is green-grey, so that would be a nope.

Based on the claw, I’d say Fearow or Dodrio.
Maybe it’s more than one? An entire stack of Pokémon Hitmonlee defeated, standing at the top as victor. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

I just want to know what the hell happened that lead to this. It doesn’t look like they’re in a gym or an arena of any sort, there appears to be a framed picture on the shelf to the left. Makes me think that the Fearow (or whatever you think it is) broke into Hitmonlees house to which Hitmonlee showed them why that was a mistake.

I also get pretty solid “home invasion” vibes from the art.

1 Like

The first shiny Hitmonleee :stuck_out_tongue: The OG man himself, the Bruce lee of Hitmonlee. 1 of a kind!

While we have everyone here, can I ask why Hitmonchan is kicking in these artworks? Isn’t he a boxer pokemon? Is he actually a kickboxing or MMA type pokemon???

@mannynotfound, apparently Hitmonchan doesn’t skip leg day. I would like to add another question about Hitmonchan.

Is Hitmonchan wearing shoes or are the “shoes” actually it’s feet?

I feel like it’s Dodrio because of the color/claws/neck maybe? Either way I’ve always loved that artwork. Hitmonlee’s basically like, “shit, I told him not to enter my cubicle” lmao