Which set do you see becoming the next Skyridge in 5 years?

I realize the future is always uncertain, but which set do you guys think may surprise in terms of popularity in the next couple years? IIRC Skyridge was done in the waning years of WoTC and it drifted down in the very affordable range until recently. It also was WoTC’s last set so it had that factor going for it.

I generally collect older sets, and it seems that the valuable ones are usually ones with secret rares that have had a limited print. I don’t have as much expertise in newer sets so am just curious.

Honestly i dont even know if anyone can be sure Skyridge will be what Skyridge is now in 5 years. Things can change fast.

1 Like

Steam Seige is a sleeper of a set.

16 Likes

Not sure about the next 5 years. But I’m pretty sure that whatever Ultra Shiny GX turns into for the English release, it’ll have steep prices in the years to come.

I’ve been selling loose base set 2 packs for about 9 months now, hundreds of them…and laugh if you want but those have seen significant increases in that time I went from selling packs for $20-25 to $40. Anything can happen.

HeartGold SoulSilver Base… purely from my bias that they’re the best video games in the franchise. :blush:

2 Likes

HGSS block does have a magic to it, the art style captures the feel of Johto and gen 2 as a whole. Wouldn’t be surprised if sealed stuff from this era starts to tick up in the next few years.

FRLG.

7 Likes

That’s actually the second time I’ve heard Steam Siege mentioned. Anything special about it? Was it only printed for a short while?

He’s entirely joking when he says that. Steam siege was printed to the moon and back, now if only it had hit the sun on the return trip… Anyways, the point is steam siege was printed a ton! So it would take many many more years than just 5 to become the next sky ridge. That being said there are some nice artworks in it. I’ve personally thought of collecting steam siege in every language just so I can truly say I have a unique collection that no one else has :joy:

Mjisaacs

1 Like

I remember seeing them around 25 bucks and now I’m regretting not picking 'em up when they were cheaper. Now I’m like, damn I don’t wanna pay 40 bucks for Base Set 2. Watch 'em jump up in price and I’ll be salty when I didn’t pick 'em up when they were 40. lol

2 Likes

Topps Chrome. Loose packs are becoming extremely difficult to come by, especially Series 2. Less than 2 years ago I picked up 3 Series 1 packs for $6 a piece; recent booster box sales have been in the $1200 - $1600 range.

I mean, its an awesome set IMO. The thick, glossy cards look amazing, plus you have a range of rarities from spectra to sparkle to tekno. PSA 10 tekno variations of certain Pokemon (e.g. Charizard, pikachu) have sold in the 4-figure price-range.

On the downside, the set might be too niche to ever become really huge.

2 Likes

Base set unlimited as shadowless and 1st ed become too expensive for most new players :thinking:

Ultra Shiny GX (English) possibly…

1 Like

Base unlimited holos is a good gamble.
And
WOTC era rares (thanks to the Pack weighing epidemic)

3 Likes

4th print base. frlg.

3 Likes

EX series, especially PCG era stuff like Team Rocket Returns, FRLG, and Unseen Forces.

Lower production numbers, ridiculously cool ultra rares, and fan favorites. EX sealed product is already skyrocketing, I remember back in 2014 when I’d buy sealed tins with 4 EX series packs for $25, and packs for $6-7. Not anymore. The individual cards will follow quickly.

2 Likes

Black & White era full arts and secret rares.

Nobody graded them and the secrets are harder to pull than Gold Stars.

1 Like

Base set unlimited. Maximum nostalgia and beautiful booster box and pack artwork :blush:

Not a set but I think TrophyKhan and maybe the uni fish will be the next hype beast item to own in the 20s, watch your insta feeds closely can’t wait for the first razzle of a TrophyKhan.

1 Like