Obscure Rarity Types?

Hey Everyone,

Throughout the years, sets have briefly had different forms of “Ultra Rares”. Many of the smaller ones such as Prime cards, ACE SPEC cards, and SH1-12 have not increased in price much if at all since when they were being printed. Do you guys think there is a future market waiting to expand for these cards? I think Legend cards are the only obscure rarity to see a hike in price recently.

If you guys also want to discuss other niche card types feel free!
Thanks!

I do think there’s a future market for these cards, but I won’t count of the fact that the prices would rise exponentially compared to the WOTC era cards.

Eventually, newer generations who played those cards would want back the nostalgia feeling of opening those cards and playing with them, which would result in a rise.

However, the print runs, more people keeping those cards in pristine shape, lower demand will all hamper price increases of those cards.

The Legends have good artwork and are pleasing to look at. Most of the other obscure ultra rares cards were just different. I don’t ever see cards like Jamming Net “FLARE” being something of high interest. There will be new collectors who want to complete a set/collection, but that would be most of the driving force being any price increase if there is not something unique or desirable about the card itself.

That’s a good question.

With X/Y & S/M I don’t think we’ll ever see a huge spike in price for the Rainbow Rares, Full Art Trainers etc as there are just so many of them, completely over saturated, each set has like 10 + of these in English so there is like 80+ altogether in just one generation, plus a lot of the art is more generic, adhering to one style in particular, not to mention the population of PSA 10s totally outguns the PSA 9s in so many instances. Of course a few (I.e. Rainbow Zard) exceptions will occur, which is already pretty expensive.

Going back further though B/W had the ‘shiny’ secret rares, HGSS had the Legends cards which are spectacular and I fully expect those to jump in price on artistic merit alone, not to mention some of the ‘mug-shot’ Prime cards and older EX cards, there’s a lot to choose from and I’m sure a lot of these are a safe bet, not to mention artistic merit, some of these are just really beautiful cards that’ll always be in demand regardless of price.

It partially depends on how much nostalgia a set of card carries. Take for example a couple of random subsets/rarities: The Platinum era SH cards, the Arceus ARC cards, the Unseen Forces Unown subset, Breaks, Primes, Prisms, etc. Most of the SH cards aren’t viewed the same as either Shining or Gold Stars - why? Maybe despite rarity the art for the most part is meh and the Diamond and Pearl era isn’t really viewed currently nostalgically for the most part outside of some Competitive Player circules.

Breaks/Primes/Prisms/etc. are all too recent and were too common in pull rates. The Legends arts however are beautiful - even though they weren’t super rare - and those imo have some potential simply because of how gorgeous they are.