Which is rarer? Japanese No Rarity or Korean Base Unlimited?

I can’t seem to find much on Korean Base unlimited except that its super rare, so I am guessing its more rare than Japanese base No rarity?

yes korean unlimited would be far harder to find.

4 Likes

Korean unlimited cards are unbelievably rare… except for the Korean 2-player starter deck. I’ve seen dozens upon dozens (probably into the hundreds) of no rarity Charizards, but only a small handful of Korean Unl. in 8 or so years since they’ve been on my radar.

2 Likes

If you didn’t get your Kor Unl set prior to its Korean release you probably couldn’t ever put one together. If you do manage to string some together they aren’t gradeable. Almost like they intentionally nicked them up👀

2 Likes

@garyis2000 ,

Why do you say they are not gradeable?

I have many that I have to send for grading, I saw that they are present in pop reports, why shouldn’t they accept them?

5 Likes

First of all, holy shit.

Second of all, by not gradeable he means unlikely to get a high grade. You can definitely send them in as long as they’re real, but apparently many of them come right out of the pack with dings, nicks, and other damage that makes it hard to get those 10s.

4 Likes

I asked for an explanation why “nicked” could have meant both stolen and ruined and not being good at reading and writing in English I didn’t understand which of the two meanings he was referring to.
If not gradable because “not expected to come out, stolen in the factory” or if “it is not convenient to graduate them for the defects they have”.

These are in very good condition but actually have a small factory problem in the upper right corner, they are definitely not 10.

I mean “nicked” as the second one: damaged/with defects. I forgot “nicked” had that other meaning! It is possible that King Pokemon was referring to some kind of activity in the factory as well, but in general Korean unlimited (and many other languages) are known for poor print quality/damaged cards.

죄송합니다, 한국 사람입니다? 저는 안이지만 여름에서 한국 가고 싶었습니다. 한국어 잘 못합니다 ㅋㅋ

and if you’re not Korean, I hope I helped anyway x)

2 Likes

I am not an expert on Korean Pokemon cards, but I would assume that the overall demand would be substantially lower than Japanese. This would make it very hard to infer which one is more rare. Japanese No Rarity is getting more and more traction which is flushing out more cards. But on the other hand, how many Koreans sell Korean cards internationally? Lots of Japanese do. How many western collectors travel to Korea to look for Pokemon cards? Here it would be useful with some reports from native Korean collectors about their experience with Korean unlimited base set.

2 Likes

Korean Unlimited without a doubt. @aheter thats a beautiful image, did you pick these up over time ?

1 Like

No, I bought a large collection locally from an italian collector who had bought it at launch.
The kor unl partial set is the gem of this collection, but has been placed in a much wider collection context of strange and obscure release of non tcg product. Pokemon center phone cards, promotional items, complete set of bandai cards and amada sticker, bandai kids…all material purchased before 2003.

The amazing thing about the collection is how over 20 years ago, with far fewer sources and information than today, he managed to track down and complete some sets that are still difficult to find information about.

5 Likes

You should make a collection thread in the collections addition subforum. I’m very interested to see all the things you acquired.

5 Likes

한국어 무제한은 훨씬 더 희귀합니다

I’ve got a 1/1 German reverse holo error lopunny that’s rarer than either of those things

I get what you mean of course but I think KR Unlimited Base (especially Charizard, you could argue the others) can’t be equated to PSA 8.5 Diamond and Pearl Burmy common (POP 1???) or shit like that

I just watched a non-TCG card sell for almost half a million a few weeks ago. Sky’s the limit with this niche stuff

I don’t like that you compare my very unique card to something that is only rare because of some arbitrary grading standard.
I left that comment because more often than not the talking point of saying something along the line of “x is rarer than y” is usually followed with a value determination that x is/should be more valuable than y. Not that that has happened here [yet] but I can’t help but feel that’s where we are being led. The mere fact that one card is rarer than another doesn’t mean much, just as nothing can really be interpreted from the fact my Lopunny is probably rarer than any base set card.
Even if everyone agreed that Korean Unl is rarer than Japanese No Rarity, what can we do with that information? That fact is not very meaningful without consideration that Korean is not a particularly popular language to collect and No Rarity hold the status of being the first print run of base set.

A few years ago when I was trying to collect 1st ed Base cards in foreign languages, someone I was dealing with said WOTC outsourced the printing of Korean cards. WOTC was retooling the US factory printers for the Jungle cards. The outsource printing companies (UK or European based,can’t remember exactly) hated Pokemon cards. They didn’t care about printing quality.

Sorry dad

Of course I agree with this, this is the “I get what you mean” part. Step one to understanding cards is understanding rarity and scarcity, or the overall supply. Step two is realizing that icnonic-ness/popularity, or the overall demand, is an equally important aspect to consider.