Which grade is a junk slab for you?

With the start of my jungle no symbol collection, I had to resort to buying PSA 8s for the first time.

This got me thinking a bit more about at which grade I consider it a junk slab. I never really thought about it. I just kept it vaguely between 8 and 9. Now, I decided that everything below an 8 might as well be a raw card for me.

At which grade does a junk slab start for you?

I am talking about regular cards that are not super scarce. The rules obviously differ for a Uni Carp and such.
Maybe the mods could do a poll? I think this could be very interesting.

4 Likes

Totally depends on the card itself and the era. Anything below a 10 for most modern seems pointless to me. Anything older Iā€™m pretty happy with an 8 and up. Once it goes below 8 Iā€™d rather just have it in a binder most of the time. This is for specifically set cards, obviously that all goes out the window for something actually scarce or rare.

18 Likes

PSA 7 or lower but if prices go back to their peaks 7s might be with in reason in the future for some people. For sure PSA 6 or lower. But if itā€™s a big card the grade doesnā€™t matter. Some cards like a random sword and shield Holo even the PSA 9/10 is a junk slab to me but thatā€™s just my unpopular opinion. Also another good rule of thumb is if the grading cost is more then the price of the graded slabs then itā€™s :100: percent a junk slab unless itā€™s something personal. Like a $1 card that you just want slabbed for yourself

3 Likes

PSA 9 and below

2 Likes

For cards that arenā€™t scarce, anything under PSA 8/BGS 9/CGC 8.5. A lot of those cards would have sold for under grading cost in 2018-2019 before the boom

I also agree with MC above that for almost all moderns, anything under a 10 is junk

3 Likes

Any slab that is easy to replicate in a higher grade is a junk slab

21 Likes

Itā€™s too broad a question. It really depends on the card. There are even some PSA 10s that I (and most others) would consider ā€˜junk slabs.ā€™ A poll would be interesting, but it would need to specify a card or a specific sort of card.

2 Likes

PSA 10s on everything or youā€™re not a tru collector!!!

Joking aside, @jonbo pretty much hit the nail on the head IMO. Iā€™ll define ā€œjunk slabā€ as something that goes in a storage box for me instead of my main collection organization. For anything released in the past 5-7 years it feels strange to get it in any less than a 10. But once you get older, having something in 9 or lower is fine to me. It also varies by language/era, I try to get all Japanese cards in a 10 but for English BW and older Iā€™m fine with a 9.

I think grades 8 and below have their place for set cards, but probably such grades do not increase the value of the card too much beyond NM raw, even when they should in some cases. So perhaps the most ā€œobjectiveā€ answer to your question for the majority of vintage set cards (e.g. 1999-2010 excluding shinings, gold stars, crystals etc) would be PSA 8, while for newer cards (e.g. 2010-present) it would be PSA 9.

5 Likes

This is probably the best Iā€™ve heard it put, and it also sums up my general feelings.

What constitutes ā€œeasy to replicateā€ may vary from person to person, but even with that variance the rule remains true.

4 Likes

For set cards,

If itā€™s old, PSA 10 for non-holos and PSA 9 for holos.

If itā€™s modern, it has to be a PSA 10.

Anything less is not really worth buying graded.

4 Likes

I wish I had the money and resources to send copies of the same card until I hit a 10 :sweat_smile:

jokes aside, I dont consider anything a junk slab if you just really want to have the card protected / on display. In Spain prices are still inflated after the pandemic, and If I found anything at good price on Ebay or other websites, when I added customs, shipping and all that even a 30$ PSA8 itā€™s a x2 in the final price soā€¦ itā€™s not that easy unfortunately. As other users stated before, I guess it depends on the card and for modern I think a 9 for an alternate art FA itā€™s perfectly fine, due to itā€™s high price and everything. If we talk about I dont know, a Sentret common card, I guess collectorā€™s for that specific Pokemon can try to get a 10.

For vintage, im fine with a PSA7 (once again, imo) but of course we all want our PSA10/Becket 9.5. I can understand why we pay a premium for a PSA10 but being honest, most of the times, except for the clearly bad centering or some whitening issues, a PSA8 or 9 itā€™s virtually the same as a PSA10, as its still dependent on how the grader feel that day :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Pretty much vintage 7 and below is junk. Exemptions for base 1st ed holos which i think have historical signifigance at any grade above 4 or 5.

Modern i dont own any but i have in the past and they were mostly 10s. I actually wished i kept a few of those modern ones

1 Like

It really depends on the card, as some people say, but for vintage cards personally it would be anthing below a 7 BUT not always, for example I sent a crystal set for grading and I am expecting some 6, for me that is not a junk slab

1 Like

Depends on where it fits in my collection and if I want it in a binder :smiley: Ive cracked out PSA 9 gold stars to put in binders before :upside_down_face:

1 Like

As others have said it depends on the card but for me personally anything below a PSA 9 for vintage (Base - BW) and below a PSA 10 for modern is a ā€œjunk slabā€.

I do feel the most expensive set cards and low distribution trophy cards are viable in lower grades but for the vast majority of set cards when you get to an 8 and below the lines start to blur between ā€˜RAW NMā€™ and graded slab. In many cases, your graded card no longer carries a sizable premium over an ungraded copy. I see a lot of people purchase lower grade slabs as bargain buys to crack for ā€œcleanā€ binder copies, which is exactly what I want to avoid if I ever have to liquidate my slabs. Ultimately, Iā€™m a collector who loves minty cards but I also want my collection to retain value as best as it can if push comes to shove.

4 Likes

@pfm Hit it on the head! Anything easily replicable is what creates junk slabs.

Iā€™ve cracked many slabs for my binders, from PSA 8 all the way down to psa 4-5 at times. Especially for my mtg alpha binder. Most of the rares would grade on average psa 5-7. There is something to the quality/demand of the card itself. There were & are too many cards that had no added value being graded.

5 Likes

Take with a grain of salt, but for me, generally it would be anything below an 8.

But modern has to be PSA 10/CGC 9.5/BGS 9.5

2 Likes

One manā€™s trash is another manā€™s treasure

6 Likes

Im currently saving for a psa4/5 1st ed zard. I dont consider that a junk slab but in most circumstances i try to avoid anything below 9 but there are always times where thats not personally affordable.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible for any 1st Ed charizard to be a junk slab. A 1st edition base charizard in psa 0 condition is still valuable. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes