What Condition do you collect and why?

Hi! I’m just curious on how ppl deal with condition when collecting. My goal is to collect the entire Ex era, and for the past two years I’ve been purchasing 7-8’s. Figured they’re much cheaper than your 9/10 and still solid quality.(Somes 7’s have been questionable). Soon I will be going after gold stars and have debating if I want to go down to the 5/6 range. I don’t think I care about the condition especially the backs too much. Was just curious on how you guys have come to the Condition you prefer to collect. Thanks!

4 Likes

Typically 8s-9s for vintage. That’s the lowest I’ll go. I would get 10s but I’m priced out of most 10s

For modern of Im getting a PSA card it’s a 10

4 Likes

In general, the rarer the card the lower condition I will tolerate. There may be some variability depending on if and why the card is hard to grade.

For my binder, I’m generally happy with a clean front/no obvious creases. PSA 5 with minor dent on the back is the grail binder condition imo.

5 Likes

psa 10 (as much as possible) otherwise 9.

1 Like

Sounds like this might be a pretty common answer… For vintage, I’m a PSA 9 collector. The (sometimes huge) price difference just isn’t worth it to me. Especially when it comes to WOTC, because I’m pretty sure the graders throw a dart at the board to decide whether to give a WOTC card an 8, 9 or 10 anyway :joy:

On the rare occasion I go after modern then I do PSA 10s.

3 Likes

Do you feel like 8s and 9s are pretty interchangeable depending on the grader/day?

1 Like

For certain sets, absolutely. Pack fresh WOTC holos getting 8s is pretty common for the early sets.

1 Like

for me its more about having the card than getting a good conditioned one. I bought a super scuffed Time-Space Distortion for $15. It would probably grade a 4 or 5. :person_shrugging:

I don’t buy graded cards. I have a couple binders that I store the cards I like most

7 Likes

I think I’m leaning toward your methodology. Honestly sometimes when I see lower grade auctions end it makes me want to sell my 8’s to get like 5’s or something along those lines. Would be able to complete more collections quicker

2 Likes

It also depends somewhat on your overall goals. Its probably “smarter” to buy higher conditioned cards, but whats smart isn’t always whats best for completing one’s collection goals

3 Likes

Really??? Pack fresh?

For vintage, I always try to aim for NM or better if I can. With few exceptions I’ll sometimes go for EX/NM if I can find the right card. For example, when I bought my 1st Ed Base Charizard I settled for a PSA 5 that actually had less holo scratches than most 7s I looked at (but had a worse back side). The reason I like NM is it’s usually satisfying for a binder overall and can save a lot over buying 9s or 10s of course. I only buy vintage 9s & 10s of cards I truly love.

For modern, it’s either NM or PSA 10. It’s almost always easy to find totally pack fresh modern and the odds of finding anything less is rare so you pretty much always get NM at a minimum.

I go with LP for more expensive cards, they looks awesome in a binder: small creases, a scratch, a dent? They don’t bother me, I judge the card and if the front is clean (no peeling, no holo hazing, good general appeal) I’ll buy it. This is the majority of my collection.
Cheap cards <20 €: NM/mint, I don’t see the point of going lower.

As I gradually move to slabbed cards, I’m trying getting the 9s, since a want a few favorite cards in the best shape. But I don’t have any problems with vintage 7s-8s, this is a super valid plan B to me

2 Likes

What’s the thought process on buying higher grade is more smart? Just curious on how you think:)

9/10 for the raichu collection. I just want them in the best possible condition and I’m too far in to stop now

2 Likes

I like the idea of getting 9/10’s for favorites

1 Like

Maybe not buying high graded cards, rather buying mintier copies to grade yourself is the smarter move. However, the higher graded cards will likely do better in the long term than less minty ones.

There are fewer minty copies around for older cards than newer. Its a natural barrier that makes them worth more, so having them in high grades/mint is better for the overall value

My approach has always been pack fresh cards. That is the way I’ve acquired the vast majority of my collection and that is the condition I want them to be in. Grade wise this tends to correspond with the 9-10 range and some 8’s, the ratio depends a bit on the specific card and set.

Undervalued cards and rare cards with good fundamentals, especially vintage, I’ll take at almost any condition.

Topsun/Bandai, non-TCG cards, PSA 7 or above,

Topps first appearance holos, PSA 7 or above.

1st edition vintage English or Japanese set cards, PSA 8 or above. Maybe PSA 7 if it’s a popular character and Holo. The big three, any condition.

Unlimited vintage Japanese set cards, PSA 8 or above. Unlimited vintage English set cards I don’t really collect but if I do, it’d have to be PSA 10.

Modern set cards, I don’t collect.

1 Like

I am curious in if the % gain for a 10 is higher than other grades. The demand for 10’s would have to increase as quickly/ higher than the pop of 10’s