What's inside this pack?

I need help identifying this pack. It’s a Domino’s pizza Pokemon promo pack, it says it contains a holo sticker, but is it actually a sticker or a card (since they had a couple of promo cards released).

2 Likes

Since no one else has replied yet I’ll give this a shot.

TL;DR: It’s likely just stickers that you’ll find in there.

As you alluded to, there was a Domino’s Pizza and Pokemon cross-promotion event in Fall 2008. To participate in this promotion, all you had to do was purchase a set menu called the “Waku Waku (Exciting) Pokemon Pack”. This pack included a medium pizza and promotional Pokemon products.

Based on when you participated, you would receive different Pokemon products:

From September 1 to October 2 2008 - (1) Munchlax 125/DP-P promo card and (1) Munchlax themed deck boxFrom October 3 to October 30 2008 - (1) Munchlax 125/DP-P promo card and (1) Munchlax/Snorlax themed card portfolio
From October 31 to December 11 2008 - (1) Snorlax 126/DP-P promo card, (1) Pokemon-themed table cloth, and (1) Pokemon themed magazine
From December 12 to January 14 2009 - (1) Snorlax LV.X 127/DP-P promo card and (1) Snorlax themed deck box

So where do the stickers fit into all this? Apparently, there was a Pokemon silhouette quiz that you could participate in and they would reward you with a “kira” sticker. That said, there were also some users who mentioned that the stickers were included as part of their purchase (i.e. no quiz necessary). To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if stores just kind of distributed them as they pleased.

*Note: I think “kira” stickers refer to stickers that are really sparkly/glittery. They were pretty much all the rage in Asian countries during the 2000s.*I’m sure you’ve already translated the text on the pack, but its something akin to “Limited Domino’s Pizza Pokemon Kira Stickers”.

After a bit of searching, I only managed to find one image of the sealed pack alongside the other promotional items. The user who posted that image also posted a picture of the actual stickers later in the same blog post. My best guess is that she opened up the pack and found the stickers (this is just my conjecture though). What’s interesting though is that her pack is brown. I also managed to find a Mercari listing of a silver pack so I’m not sure what the colors indicate (if anything at all). At first I thought it was related to the contents of the sticker, but I think that’s unlikely.

Finally, the last reason why I believe those packs contain stickers – and not cards – is because all the promo cards were packaged in cello wrap. [1][2][3]

By the way, in case you’re wondering there are many different stickers that can be found from the sticker sheets.

Bug sticker sheet: Mothim, Beedrill, Yanmega, Kriketune, Ninjask, Skorpi
Steel sticker sheet: Metagross, Mawile, Steelix, Regigigas, Skarmory, Bronzor
Electric sticker sheet: Pikachu, Luxray, Magnezone, Rotom, Pachirisu, Electivire
Normal sticker sheet: Happiny, Purugly, Porygon Z, Togekiss, Ambipom, Buneary(?)
Flying sticker sheet: Wingull, Murkrow, Combee, Starly, Lugia, Chatot
Ghost sticker sheet: Gengar, Dusknoir, Drifblim, ?, ?, ?
Legendary(?) sticker sheet: Shaymin (Land), Shaymin (Sky), Giratina (Origin), Regigigas, Dialga, Mamoswine

There are probably more sticker sheets out there but these were what I could immediately find.

Also, it appears that they were handing out Entry Pack '08s at some point during this promo event. [1][2]

Sources
blog.livedoor.jp/alice_umbreon/archives/978035.html
pokeboon.com/jp/promo_event/dominos-pizza-wakuwaku-pokemon-pack/
blog.goo.ne.jp/pika-025/e/72ba4357f0871c7c48eef110f36793e0
ninapokediary.blog34.fc2.com/blog-date-200812.html?q=%E3%83%89%E3%83%9F%E3%83%8E

12 Likes

@burpies, thank you this is awesome! It should be moved under Articles and Resources since it’s so well done to keep it for the future

1 Like

I’ve added a link to this post in the non-TCG Identification Thread: www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-pokemon-non-tcg-identification-thread/28955/1.

Very well done @burpies. Oh, and I’m pretty sure ‘kira’ is the Japanese word for ‘holofoil’. :blush: I remember some Japanese sellers I contacted used that word when they meant holofoil cards (although I was actually asking them about glossy vs non-glossy, which they didn’t really understand unfortunately).

Greetz,
Quuador

I’m not familiar with the Japanese Pokemon TCG vernacular so I browsed some Japanese TCG sites and I found that ホロ
seems to be the most prevalent to describe “holo” (it’s a loanword so it’s pretty much pronounced the same in Japanese).

For glossy vs non-glossy cards they seem to use 光沢あり (glossy) and 光沢なし (non-glossy). I’ve seen these two words frequently used on JP TCG sites to differentiate between the old back Pokemon cards. Hopefully this helps you in your future card searches. :blush:

Anyways, let’s go back to the word キラ (kira) which is generally translated as “sparkly” or “shiny”.

I think most English speaking laypeople would describe holo cards as “shiny cards” because the shiny aspect is what immediate sticks out. While it’s not the officially used terminology it makes sense why most people would call it such. If I were to guess, I’d say the sellers you contacted used kira in a similar manner (i.e. as a general descriptor of the card; not as the official holo designation).

Anyways, thanks to your thread I know what the English equivalent of キラシール (kira stickers) should be: prism stickers! So what I’m referring to are things like this, this, and this. If you search キラシール on YAJ/Mercari you’ll find many more examples.

1 Like