What would you do?

I got a good deal last night, hitting the BIN for $15 on a card that would normally sell for $23. The seller sent a message this morning explaining that he made a mistake in the listing. He wants to issue a refund or work something out (assuming I would send additional funds).

i understand people make mistakes, but I’m a bit annoyed by this request. How would you handle this?

1 Like

It sucks. That’s not a big variance in the cost to value either. If I was the seller I’d honor the price.

In the end though you can’t force the seller to send the item so they can come up with any number of excuses to not send. On the plus side at least they were honest and upfront with the issue and contacted you about it. You’d be surprised at the number of times I’ve bought something and the seller cancelled my order without a message or anything.

If he made a mistake then it’s his fault.

I would understand if he’s maybe a couple hundred dollars off. Then I would come to an agreement. However for 8 dollars just say no.

It’s your right. However if you do say no then he might pull the sale. Then it could get messy with negative feedback being left by both and and seller performance on his part being ruined. Then you have to think is it really worth all that hassle offer a few dollars?

I would hold out personally. You pounced and got a bargain. Don’t reply and wait for the card. Easiest option. Harsh but very fair on your part.

I’m a reasonable guy and I don’t want to be a jerk. I do appreciate his honesty, but I guess I just don’t see this as the type of thing one should do. If he issues a refund, will I have the opportunity to leave feedback?

Yes, feedback can be left if he refunds.

This might be part of my problem in that I’m applying the logic of how I would handle this as a seller. I’d honor the sale without thinking twice.

1 Like

Not if he cancels. I had a seller cancel a sale on me, after I paid, without saying why. It doesn’t give the option to leave feedback.

Sure does. You can go to your feedback tab under account settings and you can go nuts. As for the OP, it happens and theres nothing you can do. Just take the cancel (unless its an amazing deal). As a seller, its $5-$7, I would just accept it (or not make the “mistake” in the first place)

1 Like

Well, as a seller he has a responsibility to honor the listing price or deal with any consequences that might come (bad feedback or otherwise).

At a minimum he approached the situation respectfully and appropriately in requesting to cancel and/or work something out. If it were me and I felt his message was genuine I’d offer to meet him in the middle $4.

1 Like

A good seller accepts loses from time to time, I invoice someone $4.50 postage for 3 items yesterday and it ended up costing me $14 to send them, which was higher than the total amount i got for the item + post, but it was my mistake so I don’t mind taking the loss

1 Like

This. The value is so small that I would not bother. Be the buyer that you as a seller would like to deal with imo

1 Like

The seller has the right to withdraw the sale if he wants. It is Douchey… but whatever. You can leave him bad feedback as payback… but then your douchey… T.T catch 22 He is in the wrong though.

You as a buyer are obligated to honor your bid. Same as a seller.
If you let him off the hook with no repercussions, then he’ll think it’s ok and do it to others.

7 Likes

You brought up an interesting point; what if this is common practice?

With such a small amount I would just say to him that you paid what you are willing to pay. Let him know he can cancel if he wants (obviously you can’t make him ship), but your feedback will reflect your overall experience with him. Personally I think it would warrant a neutral if he doesn’t ship. It is being a little petty for the seller to not just take the $8 “hit” and use it as a learning experience. I mean if you bought a $2k PSA 10 1st zard that he left a zero off of, I could see him cancelling as nobody can be expected to take a $18k loss on a typo. But $15 to $23 doesn’t even feel like a typo, it just feels like he listed it low and regretted what he saw as lost value due to his own error or haste in making the listing.

6 Likes

I can vouch for Gary. a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I bought one of his items (not knowing him well as of now). he honored his price that I got a huge bargain for. I forgot which item since it was ages ago.

+1 for gary

1 Like

It’s a shady situation for sure. The seller should take the loss and be more careful in the future. If he wants to list it for a higher price and wait months for it to sell then that’s their thing I guess. It just seems like more trouble to try and cancel then to actually ship. Take comfort in the fact that sellers who use shady practices like this typically don’t last long. I mean is it really worth it to break a legally binding contract for $5? The answer is no, and if you don’t understand that then you have no place in business.
I feel bad that this was your experience but you should probably just accept the cancellation as lame as that may be.

Natta Wake Birthday Pikachu PSA 10? I remember seeing the listing but I wasn’t interested in the card at the time. It was listed hundreds below its value.
Another +1 for Gary. You’re at +2 now :blush: Good on you for your strong ethical practices!

This. He didn’t error the price, he just saw he could make a few extra on it and for some reason, sellers (usually new ones) think this is the way to handle it. Its actually shocking how many people here suggest that hes okay for cancelling and not honoring his price and he did an honorable thing by messaging and asking for more money. ITS $8! Seller needs to honor as much as a buyer does. I neg anyone who does this to me, its pretty much the ONLY time I neg a seller.

1 Like

This is pretty much what I was thinking, verbatim, right down to the neutral.