How would you respond to this?

I just sold a card on ebay for $89.99. It had a BIN option, but the buyer purchased it at full price. Minutes later, I receive this message:

"Hi

So I want to ask you. I wanted to send you an offer for $80 but I know I will be busy today and may not be able to get back online until later tonight or tomorrow for fear that someone will buy it before I check on your reply.

So I went ahead and pay for the item. Now I understand you don’t have to accept my $80 offer but I want to ask if you would accept it anyway? I know it’s stupid to ask you about this after I pay you but I was hoping you will sell it to me for less. But either way, please don’t cancel the order cause I am interested in buying this card. I should be able to respond to you by tonight if you email me back sooner."

Then, minutes later, another messag:

"Hi

Also, when you are ready to pack my card, please help me with the following cause I got burned before from other sellers.

1. Please pack the card safely & securely in a strong walled cardboard box (similar to a USPS small priority flat rate box)

2. Please put the card in a clear sleeve and then in a top loader or in a hard case if you have.

3. please waterproof the card by putting it in a zip lock bag

4. For extra protection, please put the card in between few pieces of cardboard sheets before you pack it in a cardboard box (if use hard case, you can skip this)

5. Please use bubble wraps or newspaper to fill the space in between inside the box so the card sits in the middle of inside box, so it won’t slide around or get damaged during shipping

6. Please mark " DO NOT BEND" & “FRAGILE” on outside package

7. Please update the tracking info when you’ve it

Sorry I don’t want to be a pain. I just want the card to get here safe. Hope you understand.

Thanks for all your help"

To me, this sounds like a neg feedback waiting to happen. How would you respond to this?

Also, the card was a NM/M unlimited Base Charizard if that helps.

Sounds weird. I wouldn’t pay him anything

I’d cancel the order. But that’s me.

1 Like

Update: Another message:

"Hi

Also, when you are ready to pack my card, please help me with the following cause I got burned before from other sellers.

1. Please pack the card safely & securely in a strong walled cardboard box (similar to a USPS small priority flat rate box)

2. Please put the card in a clear sleeve and then in a top loader or in a hard case if you have.

3. please waterproof the card by putting it in a zip lock bag

4. For extra protection, please put the card in between few pieces of cardboard sheets before you pack it in a cardboard box (if use hard case, you can skip this)

5. Please use bubble wraps or newspaper to fill the space in between inside the box so the card sits in the middle of inside box, so it won’t slide around or get damaged during shipping

6. Please mark " DO NOT BEND" & “FRAGILE” on outside package

7. Please update the tracking info when you’ve it

Sorry I don’t want to be a pain. I just want the card to get here safe. Hope you understand.

Thanks for all your help"

Hah sounds so dodgey…neg feedback, and a case to be opened against you…sounds like it :0

Good luck!!

Either cancel, or follow his directions to the t and take pics vid etc of the parcel packing…the card etc with time and date stamps just incase

2 Likes

I’ve received that same message before from a couple of different buyers…seems like a copy and paste from somewhere

2 Likes

I have some regulars that send the ridiculous messages about how to pack items to me on top of new buyers in total I get those at least a few times a week. It is annoying and I do things my own way regardless but it definitely is indicative of someone that you are more likely to have issues with IMO.

I have actually also had similar to the first message come through. People are so idiotic, ridiculous and damn entitled. I went back with something along the lines of:

“This is a high demand item and I was not planning to accept any offers except in the event of a large multi-item purchase. I cannot provide any discount at this time. Thank you for your order and please let me know when you intend to pay. I will package to ensure safe delivery to you.”

Overall anyone who messages any requests/demands beforehand has definitely led to a higher defect rate personally. Wouldn’t be a terrible idea to block and refund if you don’t really need the sale but then they may buy through an alt account and still hit you with a negative.

8 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a scammer to me, but maybe I’m naive. If they try so hard to make sure you package your card safely, they really are interested in your card, imo. I’d politely deny the 80$ offer and tell them to either pay what he bought the card for, or to let you know if they want to cancel the order.

4 Likes

Politely respond stating that you have to cancel the order due to his requests.

Then cancel it. If you’re questioning the sale then its safer just to cancel it and have piece of mind.

If he gives you neg. feedback just give eBay a call and they should be able to remove it after reviewing your messages.

Just my opinion.

1 Like

Had this message about packaging also. I guess if you really want a card why not take your chances. Id tell him that he has to pay the full price and that’s that. lol

1 Like

Yes I would do the same, the whole setting otu rules etc can either mean they want it…had issues before and really want it arriving as stated.

Or setting out a case to claim if not followed exactly.

I may be a pessimist, but I always look at worst case scenario and try cover myself or expect the worst :stuck_out_tongue:

I do hope he is just particular and accepts the 89, you send off to him and everyone is happy! Positive feedback…happy dancing in a field of daisies, twirling around with the Charizard safely at home! jumping around with a Labrador chasing you in the sunshine field of happy Pokemon ebay field of dreamsssss

We all know its never that simple :wink: But I do hope it is on this occasion :grin:

Let us know what he says when you reply please, I am interested to hear.

1 Like

I appreciate all your guys’ suggestions. The buyer has a clean history of positive feedback, so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt for now and replied with this:

Hello [buyer’s name],

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, I am unable to reduce the price of the card as it is in high demand. In regards to your follow-up message, my shipping process consists of placing the card in a penny sleeve → toploader → team bag → bubble mailer. I would be happy to add extra cushioning in the form of paper or a plastic grocery bag for extra protection.

If this sounds good, please let me know and I will prepare the card for shipment. If you would like to cancel, that is also fine. Please let me know your intentions and I will do my best to oblige.

Thank you,
sizzlinshibe

5 Likes

Keep the full price paid.

Also, when I get those “please ship this way” messages, I just tell them I have my own method and the card will arrive in the same condition as shown. Those requests are ridiculous.

4 Likes

Looks perfect to me!

Best of luck with the sale!

3 Likes

I would cancel that order so fast…

This guy seems like he would fall into the category of “more trouble than it is worth”

1 Like

This is me after reading most of this

“Useful Advice”

3 Likes

Does he live in Chinatown in Manhattan? If so, I’ve met him in person. He’s a good guy but very worried about protecting the cards. He doesn’t type up that phrase every time. He sends it to everyone he buys from. I believe we have another thread about it too.

2 Likes

I feel ya. If this were IG or Reddit, I’d cancel+refund+block immediately, but I’ve grown rather attached to my feedback history, lol. He seems to genuinely want the card and has left all positives for a bunch of recent card purchases, so I’m hoping the trend continues.

your feedback is what someone should be looking at rather than questioning your practices after the fact.

1 Like

Just be careful is the main advice :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldnt refund the money, just pack safely…as Im sure you do!
It could just be the fact he really wants the card and has had bad experience…with people packing and the postal service ^.^ It is understandable.