How would you respond to this?

Yes, that’s him!

1 Like

Geez, how does he walk out the door in the morning then?

My guess (without any context of the actual card) is that he was worried that the card would be purchased for $89.99 by someone else – so he went ahead and bought it instead of waiting for you to accept/counteroffer (I’ve done this before).

He didn’t really have anything to lose by messaging you to refund him down to his offer price.

His packaging requirements are excessive, but I will sometimes inquire how the item will be shipped and then request certain shipping procedures if the shipping procedure won’t ensure the card’s protection (example: some sellers will still tape the toploader…). This is analogous to what he’s doing, except he’s doing it on a more extreme level.

I think he’s requesting things all in good name – experienced sellers like you shouldn’t have any problem. He just needs some assurance that the card will arrive in a-okay shape, lol.

3 Likes

I’m sure the guy is legit, just a bit OCD.

Here’s what I would do:
Give him a 5.00 discount as a thank you for the great communication.
Tell him you’ll add two slabs of cardboard outside the regular card packaging for extra protection.
Finally say you sure hope going the extra mile is acceptable but you’d gladly refund if not.

I promise all will go smoothly if you follow these steps:)

16 Likes

I like Gary’s idea

Edit: Oops, forgot I could like comments lol.

5 Likes

I’ve had the ziplock bag question various times from buyers down under. All I can assume they have history of items taking water damage, sure I put you cards in an Ikea ziplock bag.

But for the rest of it, this dude seems to have had a hard history of cards getting damage in the shipping process and wants to do everything possible to prevent it from happening. Be a nice guy, be in the holiday spirit and maybe you get a regular customer.

1 Like

I replied to him earlier stating that the sale price was final and outlined my shipping method. I guess I’ll toss in a few extras in lieu of the $5 discount. Thanks, Gary!

Sure. By doing that you prevent a little tiny deal blowing up into WWIII;) Plus, like genosha said, you might pick up a new customer.

I am shocked that this would be your position on this matter.

This guy is entitled. He hits “buy it now” thereby taking the item off the market and then starts negotiation meanwhile the item is held hostage and not paid for?! Wtf. You want to reward him with $5 to reinforce his behavior and ensure he does it again in the future? The best offer option was clearly there for him to use if he so chose. He chose to be impatient and so paid a $10 premium for that… Except he tried not to.

6 Likes

To all supporters/enablers/sympathizers to the buyers actions, I pose this question to you. How would you respond if a seller sent this message to you after payment?

“Hey, thank you for buying “X” item at $Y price! Do you mind sending along $Z extra so that I can get more money for it? If not, then no biggie! I will await your reply before shipping it out. Also once you receive it can you immediately message me confirming that you have received it?”

2 Likes

I think this is a seller’s decision – the buyer threw the ball into the seller’s court – the seller can either reprimand him for asking such a request or respond by giving him a discount out of kindness (since strictly business-wise, the buyer should receive no discount or bonuses). Same concept goes if the roles were reversed imo. If the buyer proceeds to bitch about not getting a discount or bonus item, then that would be entitlement that absolutely shouldn’t be tolerated.

I think there’s also a more personal factor involved with this transaction (at least for me) since @gemmintpokemon mentioned that this guy is a good guy and means well.

2 Likes

If you don’t cancel this order I myself will give you negative feedback.

2 Likes

They’re not ridiculous when some sellers send in a paper envelope with no protection at all, just got burned that way. Just because you have amazing packaging doesn’t mean all sellers do…

3 Likes

When you mentioned WWIII this is what I thought of lol

1 Like

Completely agree.

I’m surprised they also didn’t add in something like:

Before shipping please spin around three times and throw some salt over your left shoulder while standing on one leg wearing a pirates hat and making a sound like a possum.

1 Like

Very true. A little leniency and understanding couldn’t hurt, especially on a platform where the cards are stacked so heavily against sellers.

Welp, there goes my flawless track record.

Thank god this didn’t happen on eBay. But once I had a guy going total apeshit about the fact that I didn’t sent him a video of my wrapping and posting the package as he requested and only supplied the tracking number.

You mean you don’t do that? :wink:

I think some people must think time is not a thing.

Yeah some of you guys are being way too harsh, OP dealt with this case perfectly. I can understand a buyer wanting good packaging. That was a little extreme though. I’ve received cards in plain white enveloppes before with not much protection.

Funny messages from that buyer though, thanks for a good laugh. :blush:

I actually bought a binder last week and I reminded the seller probably 3-4 times how to pack it safely. They’re not a dealer, they had 0 selling feedback history. It showed up yesterday intact but nothing to prevent cards from slipping out during shipping. I left perfect feedback, but I can guarantee you if even 1 common card had been damaged I would have made a big deal out of it. :grin:

2 Likes