What Will Happen to Your Collection?

My plan has always been to pass my collection on to my grandkids. I don’t have kids of my own yet, so that’s a very long way off. I keep a folder of all collection purchases I’ve made but I don’t bother keeping prices up to date - when they come to inherit it Pokémon will more than likely be worthless, but it’d be nice if they decide to sell them if they could at least get what I paid for them back.

What is very important though - and I’m only saying this based on recent events - is that you talk to your trusted family members about your collection and keep them in the loop. My fiancée knows a lot about my collection and a couple of other trusted family members follow my Instagram page so they’re kept very much aware of what I have - I’d like to think that if I die prematurely they’d at least know not to just hand it all over to someone for pittance.

2 Likes

Will be distributed among family members, all huge pokemon lovers :blush:

2 Likes

I want to be encapsulated in a PSA case with the ashes of my collection.

9 Likes

It will be shipped to sea with me and fiery arrows shot at my corpse floating on the open sea.

7 Likes

no cap, that’s how someone would find a Sugimori for $1 at a garage sale. although that wouldn’t really be my problem anymore now would it.

Given the situation if I met an untimely demise now, I’d split my collection with my sister and my best friend. My best friend would get my original 5 and my sister would get my binder to do as she wishes with a list of resources.

If we’re talking in the future and perhaps I’m married and have kids, I’d want them to go to my family.

1 Like

I’m sending all my Evolutions boxes to @zorloth just to get one last kek in

7 Likes

If I die @charizandrew will probably get a call from my family asking for some help. Thanks in advance

2 Likes

I dunno, and I don’t really care. I’ll be dead so nothing they do will affect me personally. The way I see it, if they keep everything then my collection is preserved- cool, if they sell everything for cheaper than it’s worth then a bunch of people in the hobby are gonna get a hell of a deal on a bunch of cards, or if they do research and sell for market then they’ll have a couple thousand to put some fake diamonds on my tombstone

If I died today, I suppose they would be still in my bedroom. My mom would probably give them away or put them away some where. Weird to think about dying at 21 lol.

My family would probably find them or sell them? Maybe give them to my best friend.

If I died right now and my parents would decide to sell them, my father would probably put them up for ebay auction all at once, ending at 5 in the morning on a Thursday. The listing would feature 3 blurry pictures of the least valuable cards and a title like “many Pokeman card”.
He would get $65 and think he made the deal of a lifetime at some stupid zoomer kid’s expense.

21 Likes

Can next of kin update the pop for us? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have thought about this a lot, not just with cards but other investments as well. I don’t plan on having kids so proceeds would most likely go to my little sister. I also plan on getting unlimited copies of my cards so I can sell the 1st editions when the time is right, but still have fun cards to look at.

1 Like

Their kid’s kids can. Grading backlog is gonna skip a few generations but we in there

2 Likes

Ironically, a Yu-Gi-Oh collector on Instagram just passed away and now his friend started a page stating “Selling cards in my friends name.”

Although I didn’t know him personally, I checked his page out and he seemed like a genuine guy passionate about collecting.

He left something behind for his friends and family, which is what I hope to do myself. It all depends on how life plays out. If my future children become Pokemon nerds like me, I would be more than happy to pass my stuff down to them. If nobody appreciates them like I did, I’ll probably sell them when the time feels right and just pass down the money. Of course, this is all assuming I don’t sell to fund other things in the near(ish) future such as future children’s college education, etc.

1 Like

I’ve been working on that 1st > unltd. conversion for a bit. While I love 'em, I’d rather spend the money on friends or experiences.

My collection will eventually be sold (except for my massive Arita illustration collection, which will go to a good artist friend of mine) to pay for something in life. A house, many, many, great vacations, kids’ college, who knows… I’ve also included provisions as to what to do with the collection if I die, how to sell it, determine value, who to contact for the poor soul that has to figure out what to do with it. I’ve already catalogued most of the valuable things, so a monetary amount should be easy to determine. But I’m more concerned with the now. Basically, it’s an investment for the future, and in the mean time, I want to enjoy it. if it’s worthless before I reach Game Over, I’ll have had the enjoyment, and there ya go.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about this often, but still haven’t come up with a good answer. I wouldn’t want to dump my entire collection on someone and expect them to sell it for a fair price. I think that would just add more stress on top of everything. Whatever I decide in the end, I suspect I’ll have to start by significantly downsizing my collection. I don’t really want to reduce the overall value, but the volume should definitely go down.

Estate planning is something everyone should have in place no matter how young/healthy you are. These collectibles may have been negligible a few years ago but now hold enough value to consider including in your plan. Do me a favor everyone have a will written up - will make your families life so much easier and less arguments/disagreements will ensue.