What was the first of Pokémon game you played?

played? yellow, owned? silver

1 Like

It was this little toy, I hope someone remembers how cool it was, and maybe the history behind it, since I have very little information. What I know is that one day It spawned in my house and I loved playing with this.

However my first mainline game was Pokemon Red. Dad bought me a bootleg copy and I was shocked since baby brain couldn’t understand why it was all in black/white/monochromatic lol.
So I told him it was broken and he bought me a bootleg Pokémon Sapphire (first game that I completed)

I was heavily imprinted by Gen1 and Gen3 but the funny thing is that I still think that peak pokemon aesthetic is from Crystal and BW.

4 Likes

My brother let me share his red cartridge with him until he bought me a yellow for Christmas (probably 2000)

1 Like

fist game I owned was sapphire, I collected the cards since base but my parents didnt want me gaming when I was like 5 years old so I didnt get to have a gameboy until I was 8

2 Likes

Pokemon Red for me. I still remember my dad taking me to Toy R Us to buy the see through Gameboy Pocket and a copy of Red. Back when you had to take those card board slips from the displays up front to get games/systems.

1 Like

Blue version. Used an outrageously leveled Blastoise because I thought I was supposed to put everything into the starter. Big smooth brain approach, but I’ll never forget rolling into the elite four with +30 on them. Lol

Believe it or not, we actually link battled in our neighborhood and at school. Good times. Was a simple gaming experience looking back.

1 Like

Pokémon Red with my first Game Boy and later via SNES + adapter

1 Like

Yellow for me. It was so cool to get all three starters in one game. Seeing all the Pokémon in color on the GBC was super cool as well

1 Like

Pokémon Blue, then Red, then a Japanese copy of Green, then yellow, then Japanese Gold before it was released in English, then English gold and silver. God, I miss the simpler times.

2 Likes

Pokemon blue! I was so little my mom had to read the game to me while I played for a long while :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I got Red in '98. Looks like we’re all poke-boomers here :smile:

3 Likes

Pokemon Blue with my Yellow Game Boy Color.

2 Likes

Pokemon Red as a 5 year old…I couldn’t figure out how to get out of Pallet Town so my dad had to help me :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

Anyone else not remember if it was gold silver or red/blue?

1 Like

My first game was red, technically. My friend let me play his copy and I can remember everything about when and where I was, except, I didn’t understand what I was seeing on the screen. Then my mom bought me blue. I liked the cover better. :sunglasses:

So, Blue was my first game, but Red was my first experience. I remember I did not understand how levelling worked, so I kept restarting the game when I lost to brock, in the hopes that the next time I’d luck out. Then I learned you had to “train”. gen wunners had it SO much harder when it comes to training. These new games practically level for you.

edit: added photo of the game cart. Save chip actually came off the board… Which taught me how computers and boards worked.

3 Likes

The much much cooler Sugi Blastoise, good man.

I spent several months watching other people play Pokemon before I got Yellow + a Yellow GBC on my 8th birthday. Technically, Stadium was actually the first game I tried I think, but I’d still consider Yellow my first true experience. Played Stadium with one of my friends the few spare moments his asshole big brother would let us use their “shared” 64, a handful of 3 vs 3 matches without a clue about how anything worked. I did pick up on how his brother used Missingno with Red, so when I got Yellow and realized I couldn’t do the same things I had to have Blue which I bought 3 weeks after, and then Red some time after that. They were already discounted in stores, not being the “new hot thing” anymore.

Speaking of which, I remember watching one girl in the class above me play, she was the only one playing Blue on the by then ancient grey Game Boy with the sad black and white screen. Having a Game Boy color at the time was the peak status symbol of the successful lower middle class kid. :joy:

2 Likes

I might be the outlier here but… Pokemon Platinum was the first game I played/got. Also, on that same day I got Pokemon Battle Revolution on the Wii (anyone else here played that game before?)

2 Likes

my brother and i shared a gameboy and had blue

2 Likes

Chalk another one up for Red.

I initially didn’t realise you could buy Pokéballs from the Pokémart (and thought you only got healing items from the ground), so after failing to catch anything with the first five balls you’re given, I somehow solo’d with Charmander up until Vermilion.

Didn’t touch the game for weeks after beating Surge, due to the frustration of not being able to get around Misty, or navigate Rock Tunnel with my single lowly Charizard. It was only after buying a player’s guide, that I had the galaxy brain realisation that Pokémarts had a purpose.

After learning that lesson, I remembered it for the rest of them:

Yellow > Silver > Crystal > Ruby > FireRed > Emerald > LeafGreen > Diamond > Pearl > Platinum > SoulSilver > HeartGold > Black > White > White 2 > X > Y > Omega Ruby > Alpha Sapphire > Sun > Ultra Sun > Shield > Sword > Legends Arceus > Brilliant Diamond > Scarlet

5 Likes

Blue. I watched the anime when it first aired.

3 Likes