What to do with a card that was crimped/imprisoned by PSA?

Hi guys!

A long time ago I bought this Charizard for like, $60 without realizing it was crimped by PSA during grading (the entire top edge is under the plastic railing and would be damaged if removed). I put it away in storage and found it again recently.

Anywho- what can I do with it? Does PSA do a “grade guarantee” for things like this? Or am I SOL?

Thanks!

Are you sure its damaged? have you tried tapping it to free it?

4 Likes

It’s 100% damaged. You can see the press more easily on the back. It’s completely stuck!

Yikes… Pretty sure they do have a grade guarantee. But knowing PSA they will say since it is 2xxx cert they will give you $50 credit since it was graded years ago and that was the value back then. This never would have happened to a 4xxx cert!!!

1 Like

It’s as simple as messaging them and explaining the issue. Normally, you’d send the card in (you’ll have to cover shipping) and they’ll evaluate the damage and issue a new grade. From there the new grade will be used to assess depreciation as a result of the damage (from PSA 9 to PSA 6), and they’ll issue compensation based on the value difference. Since they’ll estimate the cards value based on the SMR card values guide (which is well below what the current market price is) you’ll likely need to send in proof of the current market values in the form of recent sales data.

I’ve gone through this process a couple times over 8 years with no issues :blush: What I don’t know is whether they’ll be able to process this type of request at the current time.

Also, I wouldn’t bring up that you’ve had it for awhile. Whether you’ve had it for 2 months or two years shouldn’t be calculated into your compensation.

1 Like

The last sentence was obviously a joke. And how’s he tapping if the card is clearly clamped between the case? Troll or just a cancer post?

2 Likes

In regards to this problem, it’s doable even after a long time? I have a card that got scratched either by PSA while they were grading it, or after the process due to negligence when sealing the case. The scratch is too noticeable to have received a 10 by any stretch of the imagination, so it had to have been after the case was sealed. A fleck of dirt or something left in the case sliding down over time. however, at the time of grading, the card was only valued at about 150$, now it “sold” for $2500. Sold is in quotes, because it seemed like an anomaly and, when I messaged the seller, he/she never responded confirming whether the sale was officially completed.