PSA card most likely crimped during assembly

Sorry in advance if this has been covered here. I was checking over a card I recently picked up and noticed a line/crimp in the bottom right edge on both sides that is consistent with that portion of the PSA slab, it appears to have happened during assembly/sonic welding. I have to assume it wasn’t there prior to grading or it wouldn’t have been graded a 9. What is my best course of action with psa?

4 Likes

PSA has a grade guarantee where they will pay you based off what the grade should be compared to what it is. Since that card obviously wouldn’t be a 9, they’d hopefully pay you and give it a proper grade based off the damage.

That said, I’ve anecdotally heard that PSA can be stingy with this and will often double down on the grade the initially gave it even when it’s pretty clear it didn’t deserve that grade. This damage seems obvious enough though that I’d be surprised if they are stubborn enough to say it’s a 9.

https://www.psacard.com/about/financialguarantee

5 Likes

You can contact PSA customer service at info@PSAcard.com to submit it under the grade guarantee. I think PSA would most likely refund you the difference between a 9 and probably a 6 considering the damage. Sorry this happened and good luck!

2 Likes

I think there’s a 75% chance they stand by their grade and wont pay out.

Made up number but I’ve seen this game played out many times and they are especially stingy with high-value cards

11 Likes

thanks! just reached out the them! :crossed_fingers:t2:

ugh I hope they don’t do me dirty

What a shitty thing to happen.

3 Likes

I had this exact same thing happen to me and they paid me out, though my card was worth much less. Good luck :slight_smile: It took them 7 months to get to my card though :confused:

4 Likes

This happened to an order of mine, and they paid out as well. Definitely contact them and be persistent as these photos are pretty cut and dry.

2 Likes

Is that the one that was BGS 9 that I sold you a while back? If so you’ll have an even stronger case of its quality before it got to them

1 Like

nah this is a different copy unfortunately.

I hope you prove me wrong!

1 Like

Probably the thing I fear most when buying slabs :frowning: so hard to catch sometimes in scans and photos.

Hopefully it works out for you!

2 Likes

When you submitted the concern to PSA, did they reply right away and say they’re looking into it or just leave you hanging for those 7 months?

Extremely anecdotal but I feel like I’ve seen more people receive payouts in the last year or so than before

4 Likes

They responded pretty quickly as far as getting me a prepaid label so I could mail it back to them, but once it was in their hands it was radio silence for 7 months until they finally got to my card :confused:

1 Like

I’m almost positive that PSA damaged a card that was easily a 9. It was a childhood aquapolis Magneton holo, it came back as a 4. Thankfully I had taken a video of the cards before they went off to grading, but it wasn’t enough. They “looked into it.” They had a supervisor look into it and ran it up the flagpole and reviewed the cameras. They claimed it must have been sent in that way. It had a very obvious indent in it like someone reached their finger into the card saver to pull it out. Another reason I take more detailed photos and videos of all the cards and leave the sticky note tags on the sleeve to pull out the card.

1 Like

When I asked about a holo shift (wanted to see if I could get the holo shift error label) they got back really fast but they said the card was graded harsher because of the shift. I was wondering how this scenario would play out if they were certain they were in the wrong.

I’m glad they got back to you quickly. The waiting part isn’t fun and honestly is nonsense but at least they made it right. In a similar spot so thanks for the reassurance

1 Like

I’ve had the exact same thing happen a number of times and they did nothing for me. Fortunately hasn’t been anything too pricey.

I agree wholeheartedly. That’s why for an expensive slab I really try to see it in person before I buy or try to buy for very reputable sellers.