What’s your favorite set in terms of environmental themes/art/storytelling?

I came across this card while doing a Stadium themed Secret Santa on E4

A bit more digging made me realize that there was a whole concept of Parallel city in some of the expansions, namely Blue Shock and Red Flash. The concept was to show a contrast between the two cities.

In the future expansions, this parallel city also started “leaking” into each other, startling some of the Pokemon and even allowing Pokemon to cross through.

Overall a very neat concept which ties across different expansions! Cheers!
19 Likes

Wow did not even realize that Parallel City was even incorporated into the theme of a set haha. Just thought it was a random stadium! Very cool!

V.e.n.d.i.n.g

A few of my favs.

6 Likes

Yeah okay, i just gave up and added these to a side collection

1 Like

That’s really neat! I hadn’t noticed the theme contrasting the urban city and the more natural town. It’s pretty cool to show this contrast with the same Pokemon and their different lives in the two areas.

Makes me wonder what else I’ve missed!

Skyridge and Aquapolis are probably the most cohesive to their name - lost of cityscape and mountain settings. I also really like the large amount of snow and autumn colors in Great Encounters and Majestic Dawn. The white snow gives a great contrast to the pokemon and artists made some fun interactions with it. The golden leaves are just one of my favorite things. :smile:

2 Likes

It’s like they teased Scarlet/Violet all those years ago :laughing:

1 Like

Without dropping too many images, I’ve always come back to my favorite set: EX Legend Maker. This set fused what Jungle and Fossil were to me back when I was a kid - filled with real-world habitats where we’d expect Pokémon to reside with a sense of mystery and wonder. (And a little bit of spookiness with the Ghost-types in the mix.) I always thought Legend Maker was more of a snapshot from the past (when the Fossil Pokémon were still alive and roaming) and featured Pokémon in a deep and lush jungle on an island secluded from the rest of the world. Where else would Mew and the Regis live?

The EX Legend Maker Prerelease was also the first officially sanctioned event I attended and where I pulled my first Gold Star - Regirock. I love this set and am almost finished with the master and Chinese master set (anyone got the Gold Star Regis at a reasonable price?) and I’ll make thirteen-year-old me proud when I’m done with them. This set is awesome.

8 Likes

Probably the Japanese exclusive VS series, a continuation of the 2 Gym sets @pfm loves so much. the best part of this set is that all artworks are drawn from the perspective/imagination of the Gym leader/Elite four/Champion member in question.

and each of these Pokémon trainers were assigned 1 artist for the job making this incredibly unique.

• who doesn’t enjoy collecting TM’s which unironically end up being the rarest cards in the set.
3 Likes

VS series are the Gym sets done actually correct :+1:

2 Likes

Kagemaru Himeno, Mitsuhiro Arita, Ken Sugimori, and the late, great Keji Kinebuchi managed to design and create a set that feels lush, wild, exotic and endlessly memorable with only 47 out of the 151 Pokémon available at the time… JUNGLE :herb::grapes::parrot::palm_tree:

5 Likes

Agreed with others on here:

VS, Jungle, Sandstorm, and Aquapolis are S-Tier storytelling sets.

Love the icy themes in Plasma Freeze and Chilling Reign too. 10/10

1 Like

Jungle is one that comes to mind quick, as others have said!

I also love S9-S10; all the gen 4 and legend arceus sets are so good. A lot of card arts correspond to Pokemon’s literal locations in the game

Ralts in front of mt. Coronet, probably in the field lands

Misdreavus in front of galaxy HQ in jubilife village

Bidoof and gen 4 rival

Piplup in front of snowpoint temple

Leafeon in front of mt. Coronet again

Mantine in cobalt coastlands in front of the gate rock structure thing

This is literally where u catch darkrai

Also pacharisu and mothim in front of old chateau!

This is just a few cards from each! These sets are a love letter to the games and i love it!

5 Likes

Already mentioned various times here, but in my opinion VS Series is the best set they ever created.

I love the Hisui sets. Legends Arceus was a huge moment in Pokémon for me and it’s dear to my heart. Love it

2 Likes

Already mentioned but I have to express my love for Aquapolis. Many themes in the set but I really love the underwater and oceanic vibes.

2 Likes

I’ll second everyone saying aquapolis as the best. But generally every set from 2003 is peak set design

3 Likes