What light accomplishes this?.. :S

I came across an auction for a Base Set Chansey with the holo stars misprint we see a lot with XY Evolutions, so I just decided to buy it and get an XY Evolutions Chansey with the same error later on to have a pair of them. The quality of the card may not be too great, but that doesn’t matter that much to me.

This was the picture that was included with the auction:

As you can see: (it is in bad condition :stuck_out_tongue: ) but it also clearly has holo bleed on the card, with the holo stars at the description and on Chansey itself.

Today the card has arrived. At first I thought I was scammed and I received a Chansey without the misprint… When I looked closely at the front and back pictures I could see whitening and scratches at the exact same places. I have no doubt in my mind that it is the same card as in the picture. I looked at it in the light at every possible angle, but apart from some very, very, very feint shadows in the shape of the stars I’m unable to see the misprint at all…

Here are two pictures I took (both with and without flash):

You don’t see anything of the stars on the photos, and also not in real life. Like I said, I do see some very feint shadows, only because I know where to look from the photo of the eBay auction, but they aren’t holo and if I didn’t knew better it is just a regular non-misprinted Chansey.

Now my question: Does anyone know what the seller did to accomplish this picture / effect? I know his/her camera is better (because mine is pretty crappy), but I just want to see the stars with my eyes. Do I need to use a specific light or something? Anyone has experience with this, or has any idea how to get the effect of the seller?

(And yes, I am pretty disappointed… The stars look so cool in the eBay picture, but aren’t at all irl.)

Greetz,
Quuador

Maybe it’s a reflection effect or something like that? It appears like the three brightest stars in the text area line up with three stars in the characters area?

With the full holo ‘error’ evolutions set cards, all I need to do is tilt it in a slant under any light and it shines. Also considering the actual part of the holo is reflecting and not the outer areas, are you sure it’s the same card?

Yes, I’m about 95% sure. If I look at the pictures of the auction I can see the exact same whitening, silvering, and scratches on both the front and back. In addition, some of the stars I see in a very, very feint shadow star-shape form (only noticeable a tiny bit, because I know where they are based on the auction picture), but no shining in any light or angle whatsoever, which is what confuses me… :S

Greetz,
Quuador

maybe it’s photo shop? it is possible the seller went to such extreme lengths.

Doubt it, after seeing the auction the seller really doesn’t know much about it and doesn’t understand how it is an error (nor listed for some crazy price). Has to be the type of light source that pierces the white ink.

1 Like

Hmm interesting, I didn’t think it was photoshop at first but @garyis2000 is correct the stars are in the exact same pattern.

It is obviously misrepresented as in their picture the bleed is quite strong, however if it is photoshop it is quite well done and a lot of time went into it especially the bleed behind the text.

I have a couple older cards like this and they do indeed have the holo effect across the entire card but you have to tilt them in a certain way under the right light like sunlight to see it. Maybe try a LED flashlight and hold it at a couple different angles and it should be more pronounced that way. hope this helps!

1 Like

I recently took a picture of an Evolutions Charizard that i was going to sell, when i looked at the photo i had taken it showed the ‘misprint’, but when i went back to look at the card, no matter what angle or light the card was in i couldn’t replicate what the photo was showing.

i used a camera in natural lighting conditions with flash on

1 Like

Mini-disclaimer: I’ve got no experience with this set of cards.

What you may try is get your hands on a DSLR (or maybe a lower grade amateur/pro camera also works) and make a picture with flash, possibly under a small angle. The image from the auction indicates it was taken in such a manner, while your picture indicates it was taken with a smartphone with a LED flash (or something similar).

It’s the angle of both the light and the card.

Now that I see this card I’m indeed wondering the same thing, and I wonder if I have more cards with holo bleed. Holo bleed is of course nothing more as thin paper on top, where the holo layer shines through.

I’ll borrow my dad’s camera and make a few photo’s with only a fraction of flash (this weekend).

Greetz,
Quuador

You may need a high intensity lamp. But natural light maaaay do the trick. That and holding the card very still.

But I honestly think it is a totally different card.
The scuffs/scratches in the auction photo are more horizontal… yours are more scattered.
Then the scuffs under her right foot on the auction photo are at a ~10 degree angle… in yours they are about a 45.

I may be over analyzing. But in any case, the holo should pop out and if you are literally hunting for it and can’t find it… I doubt it’s the same card.

:C

looks cool.

Does anybody know what type of light PSA use for grading?

1 Like