What is the first Pokemon product you got as a child?

Pokemon Blue and a Game Boy Colour on Christmas Day '99. Thanks Mum.

3 Likes

Hey you and me both, buddy! Except I had the Zubat. Funny how a KFC meal could lead to such a journey haha

1 Like

2 Player Starter set.

3 Likes

I’d been following the Japanese Pokemon rollout for a couple of years through Nintendo magazines. Watched the TV show when it debuted in the UK. But the above starter set was the first item I got my hands on.

3 Likes

Im not sure if it was the first product i received, but it is the first one i remember. I remember begging my aunt to buy me a gen 4 infernape lv.x tin at a radio shack. I eventually got all 3 and still have them to this day. I cant remember what i got from the packs but i cherish those three promos to this day

3 Likes

idk about first, but i’ve had this piggy bank forever. (not my image)

2 Likes

I had two “firsts” that happened around the same time in Fall 1999. I’m not sure which happened first.

TCG:

Base Unlimited Magnemite. A neighborhood friend showed me a stack of Pokemon cards when we were on the bus coming home from school. He offered me one to keep, a Magnemite. I still have it.

Video games:

Pokemon Yellow Version. My uncle worked at a local video game store in 1999. One day when I was hanging out in the store he introduced me to the Pokemon games. I started either Red or Blue version on a gameboy in the store. I remember choosing Bulbasaur as my starter. I was hooked instantly. When my mom came to pick me up I asked for my own gameboy and Pokemon game. Yellow version had just been released, and my uncle told us there was a combo pack where you get a special gameboy color with Yellow version, but they didn’t have any in stock. I remember my mom brought me to another store that same night and bought it for me.

5 Likes

We are so similar! I got Blue and a Game Boy Colour as a birthday gift in July 99. Wonder how much they costed at the time.

Pokemon Yellow Version and my Jumbo 16" TOMY Pikachu plush are the first two things I remember having. My mom says she bought me base packs but I cannot remember my earliest pulls sadly

3 Likes

I remember walking into a store called Komikaze. My parents were asking which Pokemon product was best and the guy recommended this one. He said there was a guaranteed holo in it.

My brother and I were fighting over the holo Machamp. Probably would have been better to buy us some booster packs instead.

1 Like

I believe my first ever card was a Seadra, which was given to me by my older cousin. I don’t remember what sealed product I opened afterward, but I also remember getting Pokémon Red version not too long after.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t remember my first product I’ve owned- but I do remember the first pokemon card I’ve laid eyes on. It was a dark vaporeon card in some sports themed restaurant that had a display in front with sports cards, and there was a dark vaporeon on the bottom. And I loved the art so much I started asking for packs to try to pull dark vaporeon even though I couldn’t even read yet- so I didn’t even know what packs it came in at the time. So my first product was probably some WOTC pack.

2 Likes

Not sure which one was the very first one but it’s any of these:

• A funky looking unofficial Pikachu plush (which I still have)
  • Pokemon collectible sticker album
  • Pokemon gum with a big sticker inside the package
  • TOPPS card packs
2 Likes

One of the first toy i remember getting was the poke ball blaster, the one with poliwag, poliwhirl and poliwrath. Poliwag has been my favourite since that day i got it.

8 Likes

The first Pokémon product I saw and then got was the Base Set two player starter set. I remember having all of the cards and not knowing how to play.

There was a store in the very small town I grew up in that sold Pokémon cards. I remember going in and seeing base and jungle boxes on the front counter with the loose packs for sale. Fun times.

4 Likes

I traded some stickers to my cousin for a Base set Bulbasaur in my back garden.

2 Likes

Pokémon Blue was the first product I got. The first TCG-related one was a Blackout theme deck.

4 Likes

English unlimited Base Set booster pack. I pulled a holo Chansey, which I traded away for a Pidgey, Pidgeotto, and Vulpix.

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

Pokemon blue started my Pokémon obsession on original gameboy. And then when the cards came out I was all over them and brought them in to school for a bring games to school day or something and started the card craze at my school. Trend setter me.

4 Likes

I’m a bit younger than most on here, so my first taste of the tcg wasn’t wotc or even the ex era. My dad bought a 100 card lot off of ebay with like 2 holos and gifted it to me after he saw me fascinated by my cousins card collection. After that, my first real product was this green arceus lv.x tin.

(side note I am very hyped for the new vstar set since the arceus reminds me a lot of the old arceus lv.x)

8 Likes