Favorite memory

With all that’s going on in the world I thought it would be cool to relive some of our favorite pokemon memories for fun.

My question: What is your most memorable/favorite experience as a kid involving cards?

I always remembered my dad taking me to the card shop every Tuesday for packs. He got me 4, I opened them with no luck (team rocket). I was visibly sad so my dad went in to get me a few more (which was a big deal at the time because we didn’t have much money) and I pulled a dark Charizard. I was so excited I still remember it so vividly. I think of it every time I see my copy now.

5 Likes
  1. When I went with my mom to the local card store, saw a Jungle Pinsir inside the glass partition and instantly fell in love with it and bought it. I was nine at the time. Pinsir has remained one of my favorite cards ever since.

2. When I was sitting outside my grandmother’s house with my binder and the neighbor kid (who also had his binder) and I were looking at all of the new cards from the Jungle Set, which had just come out at the time. I specifically remember admiring Exeggutor and Eevee. I will never forget that day.

6 Likes

My favorite memory with Pokémon cards would have to be the moment it all began for me…

Ok, so back when the Pokecraze began, I really wanted to go to the store and get some packs, but parents were super busy with work at the time so I couldn’t go right away. In comes my aunt who spent a lot of time babysitting while parents were busy working, and of course she brings me 3 Pokémon base set packs. I was so ecstatic and opened the packs immediately and can still remember the pulls to this very day…2 non-holos Beedrill and Dragonair (who would evolve into my all-time fav Pokémon - Yay!)…and my first ever holo card Venusaur!

Funny side note was when I played Pokemon Red version I had chosen Bulbasaur as my starter as well, so technically my first Pokémon in both the games and TCG was Venusaur!

4 Likes

There are too many good memories to pick a favorite. My earliest, however, is from around the time the cards were first released in the US.

I was at a pizza place with my aunt and little sister, and I saw some kids talking and looking at their cards at a nearby table. I was excited as I was already into the video games and collecting sports cards. My aunt went over and asked where they bought them on my behalf.

A few days later I had a starter deck and spent hours examining the rule book and individual cards. And after a little begging, my dad took us back to the same shop the following week to get our first booster packs. I pulled a Shadowless Venusaur, and my sister got a Shadowless Gyrados.

2 Likes

Just read your post! Looks like our stories have some parallels!

Haha yeah, that’s pretty cool! I’m glad to see others had very similar experiences as myself.

One of my favorite memories was that when i was a kid my parrents were very much involved in collecting and helping me get all 151 Pokémons in my binder, remembering them comming home from work with a few boosters. And when the pulls were bad they hopped in the car to get a few more haha.

2 Likes

My favorite memory is getting butterflys in my stomach every time I went to the store and saw new booster packs. Also all my best friends throughout my life were in to the hobby when I was a young boi.

2 Likes

My dad bought me one of the GYM packs from Target and i pulled the Vena, but when i got home i grabbed scissors and cut the yellow border off cause i thought it looked ugly

4 Likes

Maybe the first time I saw Pokémon cards! Either someone threw a bunch of them into the air, or the wind took some poor kid’s deck, and they were scattered on the playground behind my elementary school. Without knowing what they were, tons of kids swarmed! If I recall correctly, I ended up with a Shadowless Kakuna and a Water Energy.

Plenty of other great memories too! Like my ninth birthday party :balloon:

4 Likes

Not my favorite, but one I’d like to share.
In 1999 my mother and I went to a local toy store to buy a Brushfire theme deck. The store owner was there. When we were paying he was shaking his head, laughed at us and said he can’t believe that we are paying this for Pokemon cards.

21 years later.

2 Likes

All from 1999:

• My mom buying me Brushfire and Overgrowth starter decks, for some reason I was in her office that day. Those were the first Pokemon cards that were ever my own. (They were both Shadowless by the way)

• My dad driving me to the local comic book store to pick up a couple of packs every weekend.

• Randomly searching for 1st edition Jungle booster packs with my family in Time Square when they first came out and finding a few.

• Pulling a Base Set Charizard from a pack, having that Charizard stolen by a kid in my 5th-grade class, and then having my extended family buy a replacement as a holiday present.

• Learning what Pokemon was for the first time when one of my friends brought his cards to school in January 1999. The only card I remember seeing specifically was his Base Set Raichu.

• Seeing the disappointment on one of my friend’s face after telling everyone how Mewtwo was the most powerful Pokemon but then learning that it only had 60 HP and a weak attack.

Among many other memories.

5 Likes

Back in 99 I was one of the first two people to bring in Pokemon cards into school. I will never forget going through my stack of Pokemon cards with my friend opposite me comparing and trading in the middle of the school playground with literally a crowd of schoolboys surrounding us in jittery excitement. The next week everybody was opening packs in the playground.

1 Like

I’ve known Pokémon all my life. But thinking back, in 2004, this was the moment I genuinely started on collecting TCG. After watching the Latio/latias movie, we went to target and I HAD to get this. I remember opening it under my night lamp so clearly - definitely something to put in my vault.

I also remember looking at the packs at my local shinders and my parents wouldn’t let me buy a Neo Discovery pack. :joy: so I ended up trying to steal money ($20) from my brother to buy one, it didn’t end so well.

I’m definitely a 2 gen baby. But I really loved the 3-4th gens too.

5 Likes

Ahh this starter kit brings me back! I’ve always loved Latias and Latios and when I saw this as a kid I had to buy it! I still have the Latias and Latios holos from it and many of the other cards that come from it too :blush:

1 Like

I remember getting into Pokemon around 2005. I went into a store with my parents, buying my first pokemon game, Leaf Green. I also purchased my first booster packs at the same time, pulling an ex (don’t remember which one).

2 Likes

Pokemon rocks america 2005. I went to the California one when I was 7, and the event was stacked. They had giveaways for the birth island, faraway island, and navel rock tickets. They also gave away this stamped lugia card, and had a wheel game where every spin got a free booster pack, and had the chance to win some pokemon yahtzee box set. I just kept getting back in line and got like 5 free unseen forces packs. I lost the yahtzee game, but I still have all my pulls from then. They also handed out bags that had shadow lugia on them which I thew away, but now wish I hadn’t. Looking at the pulls, I gotta say my luck as a kid was pretty insane lmao.

3 Likes

The one memory I remember is going to the mall with my mom and seeing a girl and her mom selling Pokémon cards at a stand. Saw a Mew card they were selling for $20. I was only 9 or 10 years old at the time so I didn’t know anything about card values or how rare certain cards were but regardless I fell in love with it and I begged my mom nonstop to buy me the card.

She reluctantly bought it for me and from time to time she’ll ask if I still have it to this day. Yep I still have it mom! Haha.

2 Likes