What is the First Error Card for English TCG?

What is the first regularly printed error for the English TCG?

Errors that are on EVERY card for a set do not count, such as the “monsterball voltorb” and double length on bulbasaur. It must be an error that is recognized by a grading company in other words.

My assumption is that it would be the 1st ed “red cheeks” pikachu, followed by the “no damage ninetales” for base set. There is also of course the shadowless red cheeks. Are those 1, 2 and 3?

Thoughts?

1st edition Red Cheeks Pikachu would indeed be the first I would assume.
Noteworthy there are also back-imprinted 1st edition error (both in black and white) for the Red Cheeks Pikachu, so a double error if you would count Red Cheeks Pikachu as an error. I personally just deem Red Cheeks Pikachu as a print variation instead of an actual misprint though, since a.f.a.i.k. WotC knowingly printed them with red cheeks since they thought Pikachu = red cheeks, but then changed it to yellow cheeks based on the original Japanese design later on. This has never been confirmed or denied though, so it’s indeed commonly known as an error. :person_shrugging:

After that, 1st edition Dragonaire with rainbow error and 1st edition Vulpix with blue butt would come before any Shadowless errors, though. :slight_smile:

Here two sources with lists of known misprints:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Is there a list like that with the pictures/explanations for all Japanese error cards?

Not that I’m aware of unfortunately. :frowning:

I did make an attempt at a non-English error thread once here: Non-English Errors?, but almost none of the cards posted were Japanese.

Would love to see a Japanese equivalent for a lot of English lists tbh, including all EX era codes and List of All Pokemon TCG Cameos (English).

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I am with you on this and do not consider this an error card. I think it’s odd it is often discussed as one as well. I’ve been hung up on this for 15 years since I first returned to the hobby.

Even though the full context is unknown, the alteration from yellow cheeks to red cheeks seems like a deliberate alteration. It’s conspicuous enough to most likely be a purposeful change to the original artwork, something WotC would do numerous times during their years with the license. For whatever reason, the decision was reversed during the Shadowless/Unlimited transition. But multiple “red cheeks” variants were distributed before they point through both the set itself and event promos.

I’ve never felt like this made sense to call an error. It’s the only “error card” where the error status is seemingly determined by the artistic intention rather than a production oversight or malfunction. As if to say, “WotC made an error when they decided to make this change, but reverted the change when they realized.” This doesn’t describe an error card to me by any measure. This has always been a variant to me.

1 Like

Ahh thank you. I forgot about the dragonair and vulpix. They definately do not stand out as much. I agree that red cheeks does not really come off as an error.

I would argue that the no damage ninetales is probably the “biggest” early error though since it involves a whole part of the card missing.

1 Like

Ghost stamp Pikachu.

1 Like

First created error, or first distributed error?

Surely the first created error would be on a shadowless card? Seeing as the first edition stamp was added after the fact

I agree with this. It’s also a design/layout error, rather than a printing process error. No damage Ninetales all the way.