What is something new you have learned in the hobby in 2018?

Hey guys,

I think that part of reason why I love this hobby is because there is always something new to learn. Although my obsession with Pokemon started in 1999 as a 5th grader when my mom bought me the Base Set starter deck, I’m relatively new to the hobby having had taken a 17 year break and coming back with the inception of Pokemon Go. I only discovered efour about 5 months ago after having discovered Smpratte on youtube about a year ago which I think really got me into a lot of different areas of collecting. I am genuinely grateful for the knowledge that everyone shares through different mediums because it gives me new energy, excitement, and goals to set.

So my question is: Name/List/or Describe something new that you have learned about Pokemon cards in 2018. It could be about a specific card, print, set, release, illustrator, etc. I will list three of the many that I have learned about this year, and I know some of this might be common knowledge among some of the veteran collectors. I hope that this will be fun and also present an opportunity to learn about some unique Pokemon facts within niche areas of the hobby.

1- For me, something exciting that I learned about was the 1999-2000 Fossil Australian print. At first I thought that the author of the article was talking about the Base Set UK 4th print…which I found out later was actually the 8th print (please correct me if that is wrong). After finding that these Australian Fossil 1999-2000 cards existed, I went through a box of doubles and was happy to pull out 5 cards with this print (Golduck, Articuno, Zapdos, Raichu, and Energy Search). This was really exciting to me because I really thought I had the WOTC era prints down and this knowledge info kind of blew my mind.

2- A second exciting Pokemon fact/card that I learned existed, was the the Pikachu Pokemon 1999 Poketour card. Again, I think that anything relating to the WOTC era has excited me

3- One of the last exciting card variations that I learned existed were the 4 different types of Ancient Mew, thanks in part to this forum www.elitefourum.com/t/ancient-mew-version-differences/10569/1

8 Likes

Wholesome binder collecting is more fun than buying expensive cards

12 Likes

I recently learned about the evolution box error on fossil zapdos holos. Every fossil zapdos holo is missing a piece of holo in the upper left corner where the evolution box would be.

1 Like

Rather schoolboy, but make sure you can always see a picture of the back of a card before purchasing.

Stung horribly on a PSA Shadowless 8 Alakazam. I’ve got better looking 6s. My fault though

1 Like

Along the lines of what Budget said.

Collecting what really interest you in this hobby, is more fun than trying to get the high end or “rare” cards of the hobby, is what I learned this year…

Only took me 5 years to truly get it :wink:

(I.E. Started collecting PSA 10 cards of all my favorite artworks, and old school sealed Pokemon Center Binders)

6 Likes

The other day I learned the basics of how trading cards are printed including how holofoil cards are produced. I want to put together an e4 article when I have a bit of free time.

9 Likes

I am kinda wondering the same… Got a video?

This is the same company that WOTC used to print their trading cards (Cartamundi). The video covers the main steps, the general process is called “offset printing” if you want to dig deeper.

3 Likes

Super satisfying to watch these processes haha. Thanks for sharing. Feels good to have learned something new today :blush:

1 Like

I recently made a similar thread, so most things I learned this year can be found there: www.elitefourum.com/t/random-pokemon-related-til-moments/21493/1

I indeed agree with the ©1999-2000 Australian Fossil print run and Ancient Mew variations. I now know about them for quite a while, but those were indeed some exciting new pieces of information I learned after joining the E4 forum. The ©1999 and ©1999-2000 Spanish Base Set differences or German Fliegendes Pikachu vs Flug-Pikachu were also pretty exciting for me personally. :blush:

Even though I’ve been part of the E4 community for almost three years now, I think there isn’t a month in which I don’t learn something new, which is also one of the big reasons why I still enjoy collecting and being part of this community a lot. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Only 1st edition. The unlimited has 4 versions, only 1 of them has the evolution box error.

2 Likes

I learned about the up-sidedown backside on the base holos sheet. Gary already knew about it of course haha. It surprises me that none of these as individual cards have popped up.

There is a lot more that I learned this year as well, just can’t recall it this second. It is so neat that information is still coming out!

3 Likes

Those cards (from my personal archive list)

BW60 Keldeo (BW Black Star Promos) Water Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice DVD release
BW101 Genesect Grass Genesect and the Legend Awakened DVD release
DP24 Darkrai Darkness The Rise of Darkrai DVD release (Europe only) (Non Holo)
DP40 Regigigas Colorless DVD release (Europe only) (Non Holo)
3/102 Celebi Psychic Zoroark Master of Illusions DVD Exclusive

Basically normal set/promo cards in non holo versions packed with exclusive european dvd. Quite rare and also quite lazy, but still collectable

1 Like

I learned about 4th print Pokemon Cards and also that a lot of Legendary Collection Cards (I think just the reverse holo’s or at least the one’s I have collected) have print lines through them.
I also learned that Gary was friends with Stan Lee. :grin:

1 Like

I learned something new again!

1 Like

Oh my this brings me back… I remember watching this show when it was still airing on Discovery, there are some really cool ones like printing money or how forklifts are made.

Mjisaacs

I learned that Worlds is full of cool things I never thought were a part of it… Like the Pokken tournament. That was a neat touch.

3 Likes

I learned how to be efficient and mildly successful on ebay, as well as learned how to focus my collecting goals instead of being all over the place.

I also discovered the generations ‘prototype’ booster box

2 Likes

Forklifts? hahaha… you’re my kind of guy :wink:

2 Likes

One thing I learned this year was all the different sets and what place they have in the hobby. It was really interesting learning this, my favorite set is for sure dragon majesty.