What happened?

17 Likes

I guess only a hand full of snap cards is enough to saturate the market.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the TMB promos and trophies, the NO.1/2/3s, the Trophy Kangs, the Illustrators, etc etc.

There’s a whole lot of everything available right now.

18 Likes

CGC happened lel ezpz

Agree that general availability for S tier cards is high right now, along with some sentimemt of uncertainty that could be slowing down some of the “investors” who would be bidding as well.

High availability leads people to have a “wait and see” attitude with buying, as there isn’t the same sense of urgency. Availability will dwindle as consolidation occurs, as well as any continued prices drops imo.

If prices get low enough, what’s the incentive to sell something so rare and hard to find? Might as well hold onto it for the long term and wait for the market to re-calibrate to the value.

6 Likes

Too many high-end cards and too few people willing to spend $10k+ on a single card. Plus these premium auctions are happening every few months across 4+ platforms. Extreme prices cannot sustain unless those with deeper pockets are pulled in.

In other words, most people buying trophies cannot sustain spending $10k+ per auction every few months.

2 Likes

the market is dying everything is going to zero sell now dont buy anything

16 Likes

I think that’s a big factor. I definitely agree. The amount of high end cards vs. the people who willing to spend 10k plus in a card is uneven.

2 Likes

Snaps are more niche than the other high end cards available in that auction.

3 Likes

EZ.

The CGC 9 has whitening on the corner and edges, on the back. Centering is pretty bad. Soft Mint grade. Maybe some scratches on surface too.

PSA 7/8 in my book. (10/10 Unbiased opinion.)

14 Likes

Your Pokemon Cards Are Actually — Finally — Totally Worthless

1 Like

Just because something is rare does not mean it is valuable,

Demand from people wanting it is what sustains value.

It’s very simple. It’s all due to f̶̹̪̲̱̤̺̬͚͖̜̞̣̊͊̎͋̌̀̃̈́̂͂̒͠ḁ̷̻͙̟̯̹̦̱̀̓͑͛̂̍̈͑̈́́̈́͘c̵̨̬̣̙͔̟̬̚ͅṭ̷̡̻̜͔̖͎͔̞̲̅͂̏̅́̀̒͑͌̀́͗́̏̈́o̷̩͛̇̌̇r̸͉̼͍̬̉͂̽̂̒͒̕s̴̢̗͎͎̟̝̞͙͓̈́̐͑̇̏̉͘͠.̷͙̿͘

12 Likes

Some major opportunities for collectors right now.

4 Likes

CGC happened there.

5 Likes

:eyes:

I think cards like this suffering a massive decline are indicative of a protraction of enthusiasm.

Only a select few people are capable of purchasing a card of this caliber, both due to its rarity and its exorbitant cost. Someone rationalizing spending $20,000-$50,000 on a Pokémon card takes a lot of enthusiasm. Some generate that enthusiasm internally - think Scott Pratte gazing longingly at what was then the only-known image of an Illustrator Pikachu, building his whole collection over time to someday access that specific card. This is romantic, but it’s a genuine thing that motivates enthusiastic collectors to make strides for something exceptional.

But someone can also benefit from external enthusiasm. Sources for external enthusiasm are plentiful. You have brand anniversaries, social media buzz, influencer endorsements, community energy, market trajectory, support from your peers, support from the press, the launch of new services or products, etc. These things are electric. They are motivating. They can bolster the enthusiasm someone feels for their goals and acquisitions and push them from striving to leaping even further ahead to capitalize on the power of the moment.

The problem with external enthusiasm is that you’re reliant on factors beyond your control to sustain your personal interest. As all these external factors begin to diminish, you become less and less motivated to push your boundaries and reach your goals. The urgency declines and the enthusiasm slows and suddenly there’s a lot less people willing to pay record-breaking prices for cards they can, in fact, live without.

For a personal example in a lower tier, I had a moment in 2022 where I felt like I needed a Game & Watch “Manhole” For Position Only card. It was rare, it was unique, it overlapped with some of my other interests, this felt like a card I had to have. One was available and it took a tremendous amount of restraint to pass it up because I just couldn’t imagine spending that sort of money at the time.

Now that a lot of external factors have calmed down, I know I would have regretted spending that money. I was getting excited by all of the prototype, test print, and one-of-a-kind discoveries we were seeing in the hobby and felt deeply compelled to secure something unique and interesting for my collection. Would I like that card someday? Sure. Am I willing to do whatever it takes to get one? No. It sure would be cool, but who’s watching? No one. No one would care but me. I care, but I don’t care that much.

It’s the same thing with these high tier cards, just with more dollars. I think both internal and external motivators are valid, but only one really lasts.

33 Likes

Biggest difference may be the premium PSA has over CGC. Also agree on the other points, the amount of supply of big cards has likely put a dent in the demand.

Seeing as the one of a kind gameboy legendary birds ended at 60k, it doesn’t make sense why the lone koffing would be near. Too much high end at once!

3 Likes

what did Regirock do?

Cheers!

1 Like

Ok. Chicken Little. Lol