What do your friends and loved ones think about Pokemon?

Not too many of my friends IRL are into Pokemon in 2021, although it was a big part of most of our childhoods growing up.

Curious to hear from everyone – are you generally the lone collector of Pokemon in your social circles IRL? Have you gotten your family or SO into the hobby in recent years, or has it been the other way around?

2 Likes

I think I’m the only collector in my municipality.

3 Likes

As far as other collectors within my family/friend group, I am the only one.

However, in 2020, I began to get inundated with questions from just about everyone that knew I collected Pokemon cards. Suddenly, everyone was curious. I’m sure every single person on this forum experienced something similar, especially after the Logan box break.

5 Likes

I’m the only one

My friends and family call me mean things and ask why I spend all my money on children’s cardboard. Little do they know I have over 200 Champions path ETBs that I spent $100 a piece on as investments.

3 Likes

Are we talkin’ all of Oslo, or are a smaller city/town?

I have helped one friend with it, like 99,9% of everyone that entered the hobby these last 2 years he’s 100% in it for the money of course but he does have a long Pokemon history (the games, not the tcg) and I know he appreciates the beauty of the items he’s invested in so far.

1 Like

I got back into Pokemon after a decade long hiatus, so I was one of the people pestering one of my friends like this, lol.

Did any of your acquaintances/friends stick with Pokemon after the Covid craze died down a little, or did they fizzle off after the hype died?

Pretty substantially smaller.

Investments are investments. Do you keep these off-site somewhere though? Potential natural distasters, fire, and other bad things make me antsy even thinking about storing something like that at home.

2018 people didnt care or thought i was crazy that i would spend the money i did on cards at the time. now i have coworkers that have bought raw and submitted cards to psa with me. they only have a couple dozen total but they are for their own collections so thats huge to me. one of them though has bought some BW-SM era sealed products to hold onto for awhile.

That’s awesome :grin: Not in it for the money then, the Covid craze has rekindled their interest in Pokemon and collecting?

lol just a little shitposting fun. My family is chill but I only just turned 21 so my childhood phase was less than 10 years ago so my fam doesn’t see anything too weird. Plus even when I wasn’t collecting cards I always played the new games so pokemon has always been a part of my life.

Ur too nice tho if I actually bought 200 champions path ETBs at $100 each u should be roasting me XD

4 Likes

I mean, I’ve seen stupider uses of money LOL

very true I also wouldn’t put it past me to wast money like that!

My closest friends love pokemon, but most of my family tell me to sell while there is value. Basically one side thinks pokemon is awesome and the other is shocked they can be worth so much and thinks it could cave any minute lol

They are still asking me about it. Every couple of weeks I get a message from a friend saying, “Hey, this guy I know found a binder of old Pokemon cards in his garage. He wants to know if you will assess them for him?”

Of course, it’s more along the lines of “how much is my stuff worth?”

In the past couple years they went from tolerating to being interested.

4 Likes

‘friends’ that are not do not understand Pokemon cards, sometimes they gotta go.

Time is valuable and sometimes aint got time for nonsense.

2 Likes

No one really cares, but whenever they see the headline ‘X card sells for record price’ they bring it up and ask if I ‘have any of those’ :blush: The monetary aspect definitely piques some vague interest, but nothing beyond that.

1 Like

Damn straight, I have dumped friends over Pokemon before. Life is too short for PSA 1 people.

1 Like