What do you consider a complete set of aquapolis/skyridge?

As mentioned by @alovell , there are a lot of different set collection definitions. I recently saw someone ask if Secret Rares that go beyond the set numbering should be considered when completing a full set.

I personally see different level of set collections based on that (I’ve used the Aquapolis set as example):

1. All regular numbered cards: 1/147 to and including 147/147 (with just either one of the a/b cards for Golduck, Drowzee, Mr. Mime, and Porygon)
  2. Full set: H1/H32 to and including H32/H32 and 1/147 to and including 150/147 (with just either one of the a/b cards for Golduck, Drowzee, Mr. Mime, and Porygon)
  3. Master set: All cards that can be pulled from packs, so H1/H32 to and including H32/H32 and 1/147 to and including 150/147 (with both of the a/b cards for Golduck, Drowzee, Mr. Mime, and Porygon), including all Reverse Holos of 1/147 to and including 147/147 (again including a/b)
  4. Full Master Set: doesn’t apply to Aquapolis, but it would be including all holofoil alterations, stamped cards, Jumbo cards, and misprinted cards that have corrected versions (mostly all cards mentioned in the “Additional cards” sections on Bulbapedia’s set pages)

If I would just casually collect sets, I would go with option 2. In the case of Aquapolis/Skyridge the Holofoil cards are a separated H1-H32, but apart from this set numbering, it’s not too different from let’s say the Jungle or Fossil sets where all Holofoil Rares were also printed as non-Holo Rares with a different set number.

Also, one thing to note about option 4: sometimes certain cards can release years after the set itself. The most extreme example I’ve seen of this is the Build-a-Bear Snorlax of the XY Flashfire set. The set itself was released on May 7, 2014, yet this Snorlax was released in August/September 2019, more than five years later.

But again, each set collector has their own definitions and boundaries/goals, and there isn’t a single definition set in stone. If you want to exclude the Reverse Holos and non-Holo Rares and you consider that complete by your own standards, then I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s your collection. Just collect what you enjoy. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes