What do you consider a complete set of aquapolis/skyridge?

I’ve been on the fence for a while about what means a complete set of skyridge/aquapolis. For sets, I collect each numbered card. I get the holo version aof a card nd don’t count nonholo or reverse holo versions for cards that have a holo version. Expedition has this holo and non holo seperate numbered method but aquapolis and skyridge have these ‘holo sets’. I currently have the 147/144 sets with the holo versions taking place of the non holo cards but now im leaning more towards including the holo set then the non holos for it to be considered a complete set in my eyes. Just wondering what you guys consider a full (not master) set of skyridge/aquapolis?

I include the non-holo rares as I do for sets like Team Rocket and Jungle. I do not include reverses because it would be hell to complete.

4 Likes

A complete set to me would be all of the cards that you can pull from the packs of the set, so non-holos and reverses included.

If anything else, I would maybe count non-reverses and reverses as 2 different “complete” sets, but the non-reverses would have to include the non-holo rares.

1 Like

To me, a complete Aquapolis/Skyridge set means having a copy of each of the unique art. You can mix and match the non-holo and reverse holos without having to count each twice

2 Likes

I determine this for any given set based on the number in the bottom right corner. As long as I have every possible number from that set, it is complete in my book.

So do that include the holo and non holo version of cards? The holos are number HX/H32 while all the nonholo cards are numbered out of 144 or 147 for the two sets.

For myself, I included holo and non holos because they are numbered differently. Reverse holos, being numbered the same, i deemed unnecessary. That’s how I build my sets from expedition all the way to present day

2 Likes

All set numbers/codes, all non-holo, holo, reverse holo versions and the set errors too.

1 Like

For me it’s the holo set + non holo set.
With the reverse set it’s a master set.

1 Like

This topic has been debated many times. Definitions and the semantics come down to personal interpretation. As a binder/master set collector, I define a master set as having every card variation in the set that was purposefully printed.
I don’t include misprints in this definition but I do include documented errors (e.g. no stage blastoise, sideways symbol Diglett, etc.) Personally I would include different print variations (e.g. “4th print” Base set. Although I’m a hypocrite because I don’t include fossil 1999-2000 nor every bar code variant of the e-series.) Above all, in my opinion, a master set includes the normal set numbers, all secrets, reverse holo, promos, leagues, alternate holos, etc. These late wotc sets are pretty cut and dry and don’t have a ton of extra variants.
In the end, call it whatever you’d like because it seems like there isn’t a great consensus or official definition, just a bunch of collectors who modify definitions to fit what is reasonable for them.

2 Likes

H1 is different than 1, so yes I consider them to be different and both H1 and 1 are needed to complete the set.

As mentioned by @alovell , there are a lot of different set collection definitions. I recently saw someone ask if Secret Rares that go beyond the set numbering should be considered when completing a full set.

I personally see different level of set collections based on that (I’ve used the Aquapolis set as example):

1. All regular numbered cards: 1/147 to and including 147/147 (with just either one of the a/b cards for Golduck, Drowzee, Mr. Mime, and Porygon)
  2. Full set: H1/H32 to and including H32/H32 and 1/147 to and including 150/147 (with just either one of the a/b cards for Golduck, Drowzee, Mr. Mime, and Porygon)
  3. Master set: All cards that can be pulled from packs, so H1/H32 to and including H32/H32 and 1/147 to and including 150/147 (with both of the a/b cards for Golduck, Drowzee, Mr. Mime, and Porygon), including all Reverse Holos of 1/147 to and including 147/147 (again including a/b)
  4. Full Master Set: doesn’t apply to Aquapolis, but it would be including all holofoil alterations, stamped cards, Jumbo cards, and misprinted cards that have corrected versions (mostly all cards mentioned in the “Additional cards” sections on Bulbapedia’s set pages)

If I would just casually collect sets, I would go with option 2. In the case of Aquapolis/Skyridge the Holofoil cards are a separated H1-H32, but apart from this set numbering, it’s not too different from let’s say the Jungle or Fossil sets where all Holofoil Rares were also printed as non-Holo Rares with a different set number.

Also, one thing to note about option 4: sometimes certain cards can release years after the set itself. The most extreme example I’ve seen of this is the Build-a-Bear Snorlax of the XY Flashfire set. The set itself was released on May 7, 2014, yet this Snorlax was released in August/September 2019, more than five years later.

But again, each set collector has their own definitions and boundaries/goals, and there isn’t a single definition set in stone. If you want to exclude the Reverse Holos and non-Holo Rares and you consider that complete by your own standards, then I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s your collection. Just collect what you enjoy. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

I always ask myself: “Is there anyone out there with a more complete set than me?”. If the answer is ‘no’, then I own a complete set.
:blush:
But by all means, make your own definition of a complete set. Your collection, your rules. :grin:

2 Likes

I would go with each unique art. Any further would highly depend on your budget, especially if you’re just buying to have a set for yourself! It’s not a competition anyway.

However, if your only goal is to have a set of Skyridge/Aquapolis and you don’t plan to buy anything else, then perhaps I’d go for the most complete set possible - everything you could possibly pull from a pack and more, along with well documented errors.

For my personal collection, I go by one of each art

What I would consider a master set though is literally everything

As @firstgencollector Zuckerhorn said, master set definition is down to your own interpretation.

For me, it’s the standard set, holos, reverse holos and any promos/deck exclusives etc. Personally, I don’t count errors and print variations or codes (includes shadowless, 4th print base set and fossil 2000). I may go back to those print variations, but at the moment I’ve already got enough of a task to master set every set lol.

I have the Aquapolis master set, Expedition master set (including the 2 E3 rare promos I purchased from the legend David Persin), currently working on Skyridge, need Gengar, Crystal Charizard and Crystal Ho oh for the normal set, then all of the reverses!).