What cards do you have in your collection that have a story?

Title says all! Ill start with mine. So when I was younger I thought it would be cool to have some tcg art on one of my notebooks. How would I achieve this you ask? snip snip. After cutting about 20 or so cards with my safety scissors and gluing the artworks on to my notebook, little me was proud of his accomplishment.

Fast forward about ten years later when I got back into the hobby. I was looking online at some expensive pokemon cards and saw one that looked familiar. After looking for a bit I was able to find this gem and my memory served me correctly. There on my two dollar notebook sat a nice cut up Gyarados gold star.

Please share your stories! :blush:

18 Likes

OOF! That hurts. I still have several cards with my initials written in pen on the back, right on the white part of the pokeball. The funniest part is I did this only for my very best holo cards so no one at school could steal them. I was like 7 maybe. They’re mostly jungle/fossil unlimited cards, and pretty heavily played regardless so I’m not kicking myself over it. I really enjoy that I still have them.

6 Likes

Idk i only have a bad trade when I was a kid, I traded a base unlimited charizard for a gyrados and ninetails which I didn’t know about starter decks at the time. I still have the gyrados and its shadowless. I must of traded the nine tails along the way. I was lucky to get another charizard before base was discontinued in most stores. I can still remember going to target and looking at the blister packs of base, jungle and fossil.

2 Likes

Yeah it hurt initially, but its a funny conversation when people are going through my binder! Im glad when I was a kid I didnt write my name on any of my cards. However, that might have stopped them from being stolen from my desk at school!

1 Like

I was pretty good with not trading my cards to people, i feel like i 100% would have been taken advantage of

1 Like

Omg that’s a big rip

3 Likes

I had several of the stormfront charizard back when the set was new, and the card wasn’t worth a ton at the time. At least not as far as my remedial ebay selling history had knowledge of. But either way, I sold a couple off, then decided to put one in my wallet because it was a dope card art.

Fast forward about 6-7 years and the card is trashed because it’s been in my wallet. But a local shop has a promotion where you can turn a trading card into your rewards card with the store. They use a barcode and tape it to the back. I decided to use my currently dead stormfront charizard. They slap the bar code on and wrap the card in tape. So now at least my card has a purpose and a life, and I get to enjoy the art every time I go to the store!

Honestly, I’m not pissed about the monetary loss. It’s fun to tell people I have an 80$ card as my rewards card and it always brings a smile to the cashier’s faces when they see it.

4 Likes

Seeing that Gold Star was painful Tony but also made me want the card. I completely overlooked how nice that card is. I managed to lose my whole childhood binder but even as a kid I was a collector. I didn’t play with the cards. If I had them today I’d be happy. Where they got lost or what happened to them is still a mystery

2 Likes

Bought this one and threw it into my binder, that’s all about it but I bet it has some nice stories to tell.

4 Likes

I’m very fortunate to have had parents that really instilled a collector attitude in me from a young age I still have all my original wotc cards from pack straight to sleeve to binder from my childhood.My dad would take me to the owner of the card shops house and we would open 1st ed boxes of sets sometimes even a couple days before “release” I was never able to play with my cards only look at them at the time it was bitter sweet to have almost any card a kid could want but not be able to play or “enjoy” them.

Flash forward I’m very thankful to have saved them and not let my childhood damage them. Only wish I would have kept sealed boxes vs opening the packs haha

Biggest regret I had gotten out of Pokemon around the start of Eseries and moved into Yugioh I remember buying a single pack of skyridge and getting a crystal charizard that was left in a drawer and forgotten about. One day I found out troll and toad was looking to buy that card for around $120. I thought they were crazy and happily packed up that charizard and got my money. It was beautiful likely a psa 9 but I’ll never forget the trill of opening it.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I always wanted to put a card in my wallet but none never fit. I actually could probably fit the gyarados gold star shard in it so i might do that

Yeah luckily this was the only valuable card that got destroyed. I remember when i got back into collecting rediscovering my collection was so much fun. It was easy to find the binder but then i went through a lot of my bulk cards and other things. It took me a long time to find everything because it was in a lot of different places

1 Like

That’s brutal! I did the same thing but fortunately mostly with yu gi oh cards (loved the holographic text in the card name)

2 Likes

I got really back into cards after the initial craze in early 2007. One of my friends at school happened to have a load of amazing Japanese cards from Base to Neo, some of which I had never seen. I bought almost all of them. One of those cards was a Sabrina’s Gengar, which I thought was just the coolest.

My friend died of his addiction a few years ago. He was always a sly, grinning guy and his Gengar will always remind me of him every time I see it.

The card also reflects power of the Cross. Eternal life!

1 Like

I live in Denmark. Since no kids playing with Pokémon cards understood anything else than the numbers we were not playing the game with the cards in my school, we all gambled. Like more than any man in a cassino :grin:

This was back in 2003-2004 and the way we “played” was going to another kid going through his binder and negotiating on the cards you wanted. When you where done and had the values(X card for Y card) we went to the playingground and throwed both the cards in the air. The one with most heads got 'em all. Sometimes 10 kids where involved in one “play”. Therefore it also so happend that I a few times went home from school hell rich or almost broke. One day I tried something new. If I lost one cards I’d play double until I would eventually win. I ended up loosing all of my cards(100ish holos) except my one and only Crystal Charizard 100 % damaged and one could almost peel off the front print. This cards held my luck!

The day after the major loss, I had to win back cards to regain my status on the playing ground. 5 kids offered good amount of cards to the pile and the gamble was on. By the luck of my Crystal Charizard, that had saved my ass again and again, I won the battle and street credit!

4 Likes

Have a power keepers charizard and a reverse slaking I got from my first tin. I was do happy opening those packs.

1 Like

A few of my Gyarados cards have their own stories but none beat out on my Venomoth Card Story.

Shortest version is this (TL;DR at the end anyway):

There was a kid back when Red/Blue first came out who would only let the girls in our neighborhood play the game (I was one of 2 boys at the time besides him). Every time I asked if I could play, he would say no.

Flash forward to a couple of days later, I just traded a bunch of cards with my buddy, Cleber. Nothing too fancy but I got the Jungle Venomoth that I wanted for a while. I remember I kept taking it out and looking at it on my walk home, but then I saw the kid again letting a bunch of the girls play the game again.

I asked if I could play, he said no. I told him if he didn’t let me play, I would make him feel bad by making myself pass out.

He called my bluff. So I did.

Next thing I know, I wake up in the hospital waiting room and I remember asking, “Do I have a Venomoth card?” looking for my cards, I found it, put it back in my pile, then fell asleep. I remember doing this 3 times in the hospital. Waking up, asking the question, finding the card, then falling asleep again.

Next time I wake up, I’m midway through drinking a gingerale and in a hospital bed asking why I was there.

Apparently when I made myself pass out, I hit my head on an adjacent street and suffered a major concussion and minor amnesia.

Why the latter? Well apparently all the times I thought I was falling asleep, I was completely awake the entire time. I had also apparently asked the question of “Do I have a Venomoth card?” every 10ish minutes with the same actions. Over 6 hours had passed from afternoon to night.

Moral of the story, you should totally do this again because the kid let me play the next day (please don’t take that seriously but yes I did get to play XD).

But yeah. Fun times being a stupid kid.

TL;DR: I had just traded for a Venomoth card and was slightly obsessed with it. Ran into a kid who had Pokemon Red when it first came out but would only let the girls in our neighborhood play. I made myself pass out in retaliation and ended up waking up in the hospital and repeatedly asked, “Do I have a Venomoth card?”, would look for it, find it, then “pass out” again. I remember repeating this at least 3 times. Wake up finally while drinking gingerale and finally snap out of it. Apparently I was awake the entire time and asked the question every 10 or so minutes. Kid let me play the game the next day.

2 Likes

Some of the older members have heard this story but for all the newbies…

I’ve had this card since the beginning. Pulled it myself and everything. Always remained in a top loader. Back in 2016 when I started collecting again I rejoiced with some of my original cards I had kept as a kid. I got one of my younger cousins(Ulisses) into Pokémon around that time. I being the big cousin decided it would be cool if I hooked him up with an Oldschool WOTC holo. I ended up choosing LT.Surge’s Magneton for him. About a week or two later I went to visit my aunt(his mom) and I asked him what new cards he had gotten since. When his older brother(Johnathan) heard me ask he flipped. Johnathan swiftly asked Ulisses to show me what he had done with the card I gave him. He slowly went into his room with a whole different attitude, the attitude of someone who knew they had don f*cked up, it was hilarious. When he came out his room he had a shoe box with him. There was “decorations” on that shoe box. One of those decorations was that Lt. Surge’s Magneton, TAPED onto the front of this box. I didn’t know whether to start laughing hysterically or give him a swift double slap to the back of the head. I ended up just removing it as careful as I could, needless to say it was freakin ruined.

This is the card:

3 Likes

I’d have to go with my no symbol Scyther that I always thought was a part of base set.
Didn’t find that out until a few years ago when I started collecting again.

1 Like