What BGS Subgrades Do Collectors Prioritize in BGS Pristine 10 Cards, Corners or Edges?

If you got two BGS 10 Pristine copies of a card, one with a 9.5 corners subgrade and the other with a 9.5 edges subgrade, which card would you keep, which would you sell, and why? Are BGS 10 Pristine cards with a 10 edges grade more valuable than ones with a 10 corners grade?

Any input regarding this would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

everyone knows that centering is most important

3 Likes

Thanks! Both of those cards have 10 subgrades on Centering. I’m debating on whether to keep the one with the 9.5 corners corners subgrade, or the one with the 9.5 edges subgrade. To further clarify, here are the subgrades of the two cards, one of which I’m thinking of keeping.

Card 1:
Centering: 10
Corner: 9.5
Edges: 10
Surfaces: 10

Card 2:
Centering: 10
Corner: 10
Edges: 9.5
Surfaces: 10

Maybe this isn’t helpful, but I think for me specifically I would care more about where the edge/corner wear is physically on the card (namely front versus back) rather than which category it fits into.

That said I have no idea if the market on BGS 9.5’s disagrees with that or not. If I had to pick one, I could be swayed to say I like corners at 10 more than edges.

1 Like

Thanks so much @camrok37! I think that’s pretty helpful!

This may be pedestrian, but why don’t you choose the copy that you like the most? I’ve always kept my “favorite copy” when I sell duplicate cards with similar/identical grades.

2 Likes

When you look at the card, is whatever resulted in that .5 deduction immediately apparent to you? I find that with most 9.5 subs it’s nearly impossible to discern where that .5 got docked with the naked eye.

If you can see it on one but not the other, keep the one where you can’t see it. If you can’t see it on either card, then I don’t think it matters which one you keep. Is it a holo? Is there any variation in the foil pattern? If so, maybe keep the one with the nicer foil pattern (like how vintage cards sometimes have swirls).

But unless you can see the .5 worth of damage for yourself I don’t think one is preferable over the other.

4 Likes

My priority:

Surface >>>> Corners > Edges >>>> Centering

Centering I care least about by far. Corners I care about a little more than edges because it’s often a more visible flaw.

If I am buying BGS 10 I heavily prefer these subs:

6 Likes

Centering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Surface > Corners > Edges

3 Likes

a card could be missing all of its edges and corners, but if the centering is spot on I’m sold

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Dyl!

1 Like

Thanks so much @stagecoach! That makes a lot of sense!

Thanks so much @qwachansey! I guess what traits collectors value among cards vary widely!

According to this poll, edge is more important than corner.

2 Likes