What are your Pet Peeves in Pokemon?

counter point to this is that most of us nerds have disgusting hands so I appreciate the neutral aesthetic of gloves.

11 Likes

This just made me laugh out loud

2 Likes

when someone is trying to sell lots of holos and when they show you the specific cards they shuffle through them without them having any sleeves :joy: they be like “all NM” and I am like not anymore.

gloves

4 Likes

Any eBay message that starts with “Hey mate” :skull:

1 Like

I get the frustration but it is half true. I also get a lot of foreign 1st edition base results, adding shadowless (which the foreign ones don’t have) helps me filter this. So I quite like it when people add it to the description.
Maybe use -1st when searchin for shadowless cards?

2 Likes

When people comment “How much?” on a NFS post…

“hi is this item available?”

“what’s the lowest you can do?”

“interested in trades?” < When I clearly state I am SELLING ONLY and not looking for trades

4 Likes
  • Anyone throwing negativity toward those who made a business around buying/selling cards.

• People who pester for a lower cost, then don’t find it funny when I take the low road and start raising the cost over listed :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I seldomly sell parts of my collection, but when I do I always get messages like “Can you do xx€ because I can buy it on platform ABC for xx€”. I always reply with “Then go ahead and buy the card on platform ABC”.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m just cheap, but people not shipping with the Ebay standard envelope when the price of the item is low. Paying $5 for shipping for a $3 card is not preferred.

1 Like

I’ll also throw in people putting the word investing in quotation marks. It’s now 2023. People have made a lot of money from investing in Pokemon cards. We should probably stop poking fun at it when results have clearly proven that Pokemon is investable if you know what you’re doing.

I will be fair and add the caveat that nowadays, it seems people are more likely to poke fun at those who are attempting to invest in English modern boxes, but you still have your people here and there who knock vintage/more rare cards in this area. Which, like, come on. It’s obviously a thing, and if you say otherwise, you either have ulterior motives or you are just lying to make yourself feel better.

Pokemon seems to be the only vehicle that people do this with, too. They don’t do it with sports cards, Magic, etc. Just Pokemon.

8 Likes

I’ve definitely said “investing” before, but it’s always in reference to Timmy who has a closet full of Shining Fates ETBs and six sealed cases of McDonalds 2021 promos. Obviously people can (and should) make money in Pokemon, but the loud majority of investors are meme-worthy. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with Personal Computing

1 Like

Yeah that’s why I made sure to qualify my statement by saying I was primarily referring to vintage (and, you know, stuff that actually makes money lol). The modern investors are mostly the ones who entered the hobby in 2020, and I do agree they are pretty cringeworthy.

But there is still a faction of people (although it is definitely smaller now than it was a few years ago) who think you can’t make money in Pokemon period, which is just silly at this point when the data clearly proves otherwise.

1 Like

I 100% agree. Should be stoked for anyone making a living with Pokemon (or any other CGG) as they’re doing something they are passionate about. Making money while being surrounded by artwork, a positive message, and nostalgia all day is my dream :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

We should be pumped for them if they are having fun and can make an ROI. Nobody should think their opinion is more important than someone else’s. I don’t get the “meme-worthy” thing, as I can only think those talking crap are doing so to feel superior.

1 Like

People who message you looking to offload a bunch of cards at once so they don’t have to list them all, but then asking top market rate, or in some cases above market.

Had this a couple of times recently, go to offer 60% market, then get accused of taking advantage. It’s like, mate, you came to me, and secondly why would I buy a collection with absolutely 0 margin? If you want more money for your cards, piece them out and do the work yourself.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that I understand your comment.

The meme-worthy sellers that I am referring to are not making an ROI. Their closet full of 2021 McDonalds promos are in the gutter and their PSA graded Evolutions Commons haven’t done so well either.

But then again, people who invested in mass produced products expecting it to 2x in 2 years are also probably the first who jumped ship in 2022 when prices fell back down to reality.

There is a very real segment of the Pokemon investor space that solely engages with the hobby to make money, but their intuition on which products to choose to invest in is ill-informed. It’s not the “making money” portion of that sentence that makes them meme-worthy, it’s their enormous confidence paired with their lack of knowledge.

2 Likes

One of my pet peeves in Pokémon is largely (but not only) relevant when it comes to vintage. People often seem to gloss over the fact that Pokémon is a Japanese franchise, and the TCG is almost entirely illustrated by Japanese artists.

You often see so many people giving credit to WotC, an American IP troll that didn’t take the franchise seriously and just wanted a cut of the profits. People say “look at this WotC art,” as if WotC was responsible for the art from Japanese illustrators. (An example of what I’m talking about below - shout out to Toine Lay for calling this out.)

The message seems to be “no matter how terrible WotC is, the TCG’s only legitimate with a Western spin on it.” Proponents of this idea were comfortable with celebrating English as the “premium” option and relegating Japanese cards to “value” status for years; now that the tables have turned for modern cards, somehow Japanese cards are “in a bubble” and people who like them are “snobs.”

The whole thing stinks of a Western superiority complex.

11 Likes