What are these?

Hey everyone,

I was recently going through my old childhood binder (probably hasn’t been touched since around 2001) and I’ve been able to figure out what everything is really except for one type of card I have in there. I don’t speak Japanese so can’t read most of the cards and googling phrases based on the English words hasn’t brought useful results. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if the images didn’t work cus it was an album, trying again with individual images:

i.imgur.com/RbNQqze.jpg[/img]

Those are from the Carddass anime collection.

www.elitefourum.com/t/carddass-pocket-monsters-pokemon-anime-collection/29374/1

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure most of those are fakes.

3 Likes

If you got those cards in the United States, there’s a chance that they came from my Tokyo toy store. We shipped dozens of cases of them to a distributor in the United States at a time when very little Carddass product was being exported.

1 Like

Awesome thanks y’all!

Hey well maybe I have you to thank then! I remember having a few Japanese packs as a kid and had some Japanese team rocket cards in the binder, but I’m surprised I had these given how obscure they seem to be. Most likely was my grandparents buying things for me around DC.

Any reason you think that? Like I said I haven’t opened this binder for about 20 years and it seems weird someone would have faked a Japanese language product for sale in America back then when they could have just faked base set cards or something that would’ve been more popular at the time.

They are fake. The holo pattern on some are stars which was not seen in these sets. Also, the holo pattern covers the entire front of the card when it shouldn’t. Lastly, none of the cards pictured are actually supposed to be holo. They should all be non holo. You can check the link that @thedude1990, included in his post above and do a little scrolling through to see pictures of what the cards should look like.

4 Likes

Just ignore that. Listen to @japanime,

Except they are fake.

8 Likes

Well looks like it’s time for a much closer inspection on each one. Thanks for the help all.

Yep those Bandai cards are definitely fake I’m afraid.

The end of first post in the thread @thedude1990 linked above shows some examples of what fake versions of these look like and I have a similar post about fake cards from this set here: www.elitefourum.com/t/bgs-authentic-not-actually-authentic/30903/13.

The general rule of thumb for these is that if the picture on the front isn’t related to the synopsis on the back or the holofoil pattern extends over the foreground text (which is unfortunately what yours are) they’re fake. Though they’re not fake in the usual sense of someone firing up a printer and printing hundreds of these - they’re fake in that someone has taken real cards and applied different imagery or holofoil patterns on top of them.

The real versions of the Bandai cards you’ve shared above are all non-holo and should look like these (these are all images I’ve found online and aren’t my own photos):

Here are examples of two real holofoil cards I have to hand:

Notice how in both the regular and MOVIE cards the holofoil pattern is in the background rather than in the foreground - with the only exception being the R on the Team Rocket logos and the “Pichu & Pikachu” text in the bottom right of the MOVIE card. The border, the Pokémon and all other text is not covered with the holofoil pattern.

These Bandai cards are numbered in a way that a non-holofoil card never shares the same number as a holofoil card. That is to say the MOVIE25 Pikachu & Pichu Brothers card above doesn’t have a non-holofoil MOVIE25 version, likewise the 245 non-holofoil card above will never have a holofoil 245 card.

PSA and Beckett have graded these fake cards in the past as there simply isn’t enough documentation surrounding them. CGC are strictly refusing to grade these, and quite rightly so I think.

Some of these fakes are really, really creative. I’m sure @qwachansey won’t mind me sharing this card of his here:

This one has been very cleverly renumbered, had its image completely replaced and had a holofoil pattern applied to it. Unfortunately they left the text in which says “Weezing & Arbok” in Japanese (though the holofoil pattern itself is very obviously incorrect) - it’s actually this card which has been printed over:

The Chansey artwork is from the Japanese How To Draw Pokémon CD. :grin:

10 Likes

Wow you guys are insanely knowledgeable. Thanks a ton for the in-depth explanation. Bummer they are fake. I’m kinda blown away by how intricate these fakes are compared to other fake Pokémon cards I’ve seen, but maybe it’s just because I’ve never seen the real version of these.

2 Likes