Watch Collectors

I am sorry to hear that. I imagine that business is very tough to get into. I see a lot of “micro” brands and startups as of late, so I can only imagine how tight the competition must be, especially when going up against established brands! Hahah that sounds awesome! Who knows that you have lying around!

www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/fashion/ralph-lauren-turns-his-bugatti-into-a-watch.html

They do not sell it anymore, but I fell n love with this watch when i saw it in person.

Pocket watches value is heavily determined on the gold (or other material) content and quality of the mechanical parts. Pocket watch accuracy was based on the jewel count and adjustments of positions. The higher the jewel count the more expensive the piece. Railroad watches had to be of high quality for the workers to keep proper time and are consider 21 or 23ish jewel and above.

Sold all them all a couple years back and the info isn’t as fresh in my mind like it use to be.

Yes, precisely! If you are hard set on something, don’t settle!

Yes, it’s based on personal experience but more so on big watch fans I know of. The amount of care that they put when wearing an expensive watch and making sure they lay their wrist down gently and not to swing their arms is sometimes crazy!

A have a small collection of Casio Digital watches myself.

@nuttun, Hahaha there are times when I am wearing an old watch and I can see my girlfriend about to get really excited about something and I’m like “yeah, she is about to shake the crap out of my arm” lol. But I never stopped swinging my arms…thats crazy, unless its super old, they are surprisingly durable. I would just say enjoy it…but would I do yard work or go to the gym wearing one…nope!

@missingno, I actually really like the Casio world time and the metal g-shocks…the gold one is awesome but I don’t know if I can pull off a gold watch.

@stibs, ahhh jewel count…I know some brands kinda got crazy with that for a while…then quartz came around. lol

My favorite is the silver databank.

www.ablogtowatch.com/romain-jerome-tourbillon-pokemon-watch/

:blush:

-Matthew

4 Likes

Hahaha 200k? psshh what bargain! I will sell one of my spare Ferraris and a kidney or two. But lets be honest here, if I had the means I would :sweat:

1 Like

Yeah, I can attest to their durability. Unfortunately, some people just really don’t want to scratch them :wink:

Funny you mention the gym, don’t ever bring it because it gets uncomfortable and you’ll want to take it off. Some guy brought a rolex to the gym and took it off shortly after. He then forgot about it and it got lost in the wild. I knew about this because for the next two weeks there were posters all over the elevator for a hefty reward if the rolex was ever found.

:laughing:

oughhh…that hurts my sole. I just cant workout with anything on my writs, too detracting and I don’t want to potentially injure myself by catching it on something.

Hahaha yeah or two, sometimes you need to do what it takes!

1 Like

Anyone know good watches with a 34mm diameter/circumference? (whatever the measurement they use)

Just depends on your price range really and what kind of watch you are looking for, sport, dress etc. 34mm is on the smaller end with most sizes creeping up in 40mm (I am not a fan, to me 36mm is perfect).

I prefer the smaller style, not a fan of the big showy ones, I like simple, sleek, leather band, arabic numerals. Looking for a dressy-ish one, that I can wear to a business-casual work environment. Budget is around $150

For that range I would check out Seiko. They have nice options, particularly the Seiko 5 ($60-100). It is smaller in size, mechanical and comes in a myriad of styles. I would also check Orient, they have some nice stuff, like the bambino, but those are approaching $300. You can also have fun changing the straps, which can completely change the tone of the watch :blush: Moving up on the Price bracket a bit, for a shade over $300 you can find a seiko SARB033, an amazing elegant watch which value wise punches above its weight. Now if you really save and want an awesome piece pick up a vintage Rolex date (34mm), super elegant and timeless design…but that is around $2500 or so. Just some food for thought. I would also check out YouTube videos for watches in your desired price range, particularity the Urban Gentry.

This is super helpful, thanks for typing it up!

1 Like