Using PayPal credit/0% APR to long position cards?

Not saying I’m interested in doing it but I’m curious the affect on the market if this is going on.

I imagine there are people out there seeing prices go ^^^^ and they can’t afford a 5 figure purchase, but think they can snap up a couple cards, pay them off a couple hundred bucks month at 0% interest … while hoping the prices keep going up.

This could, in theory, keep prices climbing way beyond their normal means.

2 Likes

Surely nothing can go wrong here.

47 Likes

Hey bud I’m not saying it’s smart or a good idea- I’m certainly not going to do it. But it is possible sooo we can’t deny that many people are probably doing it.

theres a reason the brokerage industry has rules on how much leverage investors can get. as someone in the industry, please for the love of god, do not spend what you cannot afford to lose.

2 Likes

Sorry, but you’re not eligible for PayPal Credit.
We’re unable to offer you PayPal Credit at this time but you can still use your PayPal account to make purchases directly and securely

Must be a US only thing

4 Likes

I truly don’t know what to say about this… amused, concerned, intrigued, baffled… Wouldn’t want anyone blaming Pokémon for their bankruptcy. It goes against the fun and innocence of the hobby

1 Like

In Germany you can use it if you’re buying from certain sellers/online shops.

1 Like

A lot of PWCC auctions have this option on the Buy it now featured cards.

There’s a PSA 5 First Edition Charizard you can buy for $11,500 or $480 a month for 2 years at 0% interest.

www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemon-Game-1st-Edition-Holo-Charizard-4-PSA-5-EX/224202204624?hash=item34337e25d0:g:p4MAAOSwwQxfj1Qd

In the UK you can only apply if you have a personal account rather than a business account.

My take is that if you can’t afford something outright, don’t try to buy it. Just because you’re earning X amount each month doesn’t mean you’re not going to lose your job next week or have an unexpected bill to pay just over the horizon.

0% APR is great if you have the money to begin with as it means you can still get interest on your money until the time runs out, just make sure you have the full amount available to begin with and put that money away in a savings account which you are not intending to touch until you need to pay off the loan.

This is an interesting idea. Just make sure you can handle it.

I can guarantee there are tons of people doing this at the moment. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of people who think that prices can only go up, and quickly.

If lucky and done properly it can be a massive win to use leverage and margin but it doesn’t always work out that way of course

5 Likes

I shudder when I even think about that. Jungle 1st Pikachu 10 to the moon, 10k by christmas!1!

2 Likes

You’re not the only one.

2 Likes

taking out a paypal loan to buy pokemon cards to flip them
LP and FaZe making youtube videos about base set opening
hundreds of new guests visiting here daily

oh no, I don’t think this will end well

7 Likes

It will get worse if there are success stories… and it’s a flex social media society :muscle::pensive:

5 Likes

Yes leverage will allow people to overspend, which will allow prices to continue to rise. It will also force people to sell when the bill comes due. If too many people are forced to sell at once, they will compete and that can drive prices down very quickly.

1 Like

Why can’t people just accept being broke like me

12 Likes

Doing that will push prices higher. Can’t print anymore WOTC boxes or booster packs and the economics are quite simple: more capital flowing in rises all prices for investment-grade products. You could also technically file bankruptcy if the investment doesn’t work out in your favor. Your credit will be trash but if the investment works out then you keep all the profit for yourself more or less. I could see this being done by younger people that have less to lose from doing it. They are less likely to have assets that can be seized in bankruptcy and less income to make it easier to qualify for chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy.

Wow. When things get expensive, people get greedy. Welp, time to be fearful. I love to see this hobby expand, but is this kind of growth sustainable for the long term?

No.

You don’t build wealth by going in debt.

1 Like