Poll - How many of you go into debt to buy Pokemon-related items?

After seeing how much money people spend on their collections I’m curious how many of us are using credit cards and loans to pay for Pokemon cards compared to how many of us can actually afford what we buy.

For the purposes of this exercise I am defining debt as you borrowing money or spending money that you cannot reasonably afford to spend. Examples:

• putting a $1000 card on your credit card when you know you won’t have $1000 to pay back by the end of the month
  • asking your friend to borrow $100 to buy a booster box
  • taking out a loan from a bank/PayPal/loan provider
  • spending student loan money to pay for your collection instead of your college tuition

Things not classified as debt:

• paying for cards with your credit card if you are building credit, AS LONG AS you pay it back on time at the end of each month
  • spending a little bit of next month’s budget this month as long as you make up for it next month (healthy spending habits)

NOTE: These polls are anonymous and nobody can see the results, not even me

Do you go into debt to buy Pokemon-related items?
  • Yes, all the time
  • Yes, occasionally
  • No, never
0 voters
If you are in debt, how much do you owe for Pokemon-related items?
  • $1-$100
  • $100-$499
  • $500-$999
  • $1,000-$2,999
  • $3,000-$4,999
  • $5,000-$9,999
  • $10,000+
0 voters
3 Likes

Define debt

Also for the record, staff can see the results but i promise not to look :slight_smile:

5 Likes

DO NOT TELL MY WIFE

27 Likes

Updated OP to define debt :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use credit cards for the sweet, sweet rewards, but pay the balance off each month. I personally wouldn’t consider that debt, but could see it being construed that way.

I don’t have the risk appetite to use leverage with any sort of scale.

Edit: Nevermind, based on examples I do not use debt :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i have a job. i have no debt. money can be exchanged for goods and services. the cycle repeats.

5 Likes

Also, will someone please post this same poll on r/pokeinvesting so we can compare results. I would but my Dr told me no more reddit, it’s bad for my blood pressure

6 Likes

The modern version of this is PayPal, in which case it’s still credit but 6 month grace period

Is it still debt if you’re deep ITM?

What does “ITM” mean?

In the money

1 Like

I will run my checking account into the ground but never been in debt for pokemon.

10 Likes

I would still count PayPal as debt

1 Like

I don’t go into debt to buy anything.

6 Likes

I would never go into debt to buy Pokemon or any other collectible. I use cards for their 3% rewards, but never beyond what I can pay off immediately.

3 Likes

Where are all the people that have maxed out 4 credit cards and took out a second loan on their houses to pay for Pokemon cards!?

Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter (X)

4 Likes

MY OTHER HALF CAN NOT KNOWWWW PLEASE

lol

I mean I joke and also not joking Lmao

2 Likes

Maybe I have a strong opinion, but if you have to go into debt to buy Pokemon cards, you shouldn’t be buying them in the first place. Nobody should leverage for collectibles unless it is your source of income and you have a stable business plan.

15 Likes

If I can’t afford it then I don’t buy it. Not worth going into debt for cards. This should be fun not stressful

3 Likes

I feel like the same people who would go into serious debt to buy Pokemon cards are the same people who would pay top dollar for a used luxury car with 50,000 miles on it just because they wanted the “brand name” when they could have just gotten a brand new car for the same price or less.

When people have poor spending habits, it usually applies to every category of their lives. They end up living above their means and then wonder why they struggle.

4 Likes