Does Anyone Else Enjoiy Collecting Too Much?

So Aside from my Pokemon TCG Collection, I collect manga and Anime, Figures, games(though only more recent titles eg. PS3 PSV and PS4) and have recently gotten into comic books. I just like collecting in general and I feel like this becomes an issue for me as I only have so much money to spend so I have to pick and choose what I dedicate it to. Does anyone else like collecting too much?

1 Like

Throughout my life I’ve collected coins, stamps, comics, wooden birds, gems/minerals, pokemon cards, pogs, Godzilla Action Figures, Pinned Insects, Bayonets, and fountain pens. If I had more money I’d probably collect a lot more things too…

2 Likes

I know what you mean. I do enjoy collecting a little too much. I first started collecting manga, Mickey Mouse items,coins and bills,comics,Pokemon,toys. Now a days I stick to Pokemon and Mickey Mouse primarily. I try to switch between the two and dedicate months to each collection. Right now I’m sticking to collecting Pokemon.

1 Like

I’ve learned to control my spending by making a vision board of things i want most and only going after those things.

4 Likes

I started collecting stamps and peddle stones as a 6 y.o. kid. Collections I still have ranging from most active to least: Pikachu collection; Seviper collection; Twisty Puzzle collection; Mimikyu collection; Yu-Gi-Oh rarity collection; Pokémon collection in general; Mineral & Fossil collection; Euro coins collection; Yu-Gi-Oh collection in general; Overwatch virtual items.

Other things I’ve collected in my life: Post stamps (got a combination of my own, my grandma’s, my uncle’s, and my mom’s collection now. But they are currently collecting dust themselves in the attic); flippos/pogs; Happy Tail stuffed animals; TF2 virtual weapons; foreign coins; Heritage playing card decks; and probably more I forgot…

And I know what you mean regarding the spending, considering some of the Pikachus cards I’ve bought so far were more than 300 USD (and two even ~1k USD). And there are even more expensive ones left to find.

Still, I earn little over 2k euros each month with my job, and have barely any other expenses whatsoever (because I live at my parents, and only bought my first car two weeks ago). I do resist the urge to buy something for one of my collections quite a lot of times (Pikachus excepted :stuck_out_tongue: ), but with the amount of money on my savings account and the money I earn it’s not like I can’t miss it.
I also have a pretty bad motto when I’m doubting whether to buy a pretty expensive item I REALLY want: “I only have to spend the money once, and then I can enjoy it for the rest of my life.” (Bad motto, don’t use it!!)

If you have a very limited source of money, perhaps put some of your collections on pause, and only focus on one or two. Also try to set goals for yourself. Goals to not spend more than X amount each month depending on your income, and goals to reach before going for the next. Oh, and pick your goals wisely, because one of my goals is to have all Pikachu cards that exist in my collection; and with cards like the Pokémon SNAP; Sample Pikachus; Solid Gold Pikachu; 12 Art Academy Pikachus; etc. etc. that goal is far from cheap. :slightly_smiling_face:

Greetz,
Quuador

What in the world is a peddle stone🤷🏻‍♂️

pebble? oval nes you skim on water…find at the beach etc? thats my guess ha. though I too would love to be enlightened :grin:

My boy Q called it a “peddle stone”. You think he meant pebble?

Hah :wink:

www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+a+peddle+stone%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=_8SFWcDqBaPc8Afjk4HgCw

www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+a+pedal+stone%3F&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisgKj6lsDVAhVDb1AKHUj9BaE4ChD8BQgLKAI&biw=1366&bih=659

XD

Oops… should indeed have been pebble… :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

I am rather disappointed now :slightly_frowning_face: I was hoping it was some crazy foreign word even google didnt know!

Lol. I thought it was some kind of a weird Aussie thing.

1 Like

I enjoy collecting video games, nothing too serious but if you look at my collection thread you can see a few pics of my game room. Then, a couple of years ago a friend of mine got me back to Pokemon. I think that as long as we don’t turn into hoarders, we should be just fine. Everyone spends money in stupid shit. Most people in our age group spend tons in clubs and drinks and non one judges them. Others, spend their extra money in house works that will never see a return. So, as long as you don’t go too overboard, you should be fine.

3 Likes

I’ve had the urge to collect since childhood. If it’s not real life things, it’s digital things in videogames lol. If a game has a collecting aspect to it, I’ll 100% that whenever possible.

Top right for future reference :wink: Bookmark pl0x

1 Like

One thing that stuck out to me was when I was watching another collectors videos and he said that he’s sold a bunch of high value cards 8k-20k and he said most of them went to people with payment plans… That’s just insane to me. This hobby is amazing and the collecting is so fun, but if I dont have the money for a card, or a set, or something, i’d never resort to a payment plan just to get it.

1 Like

I may or may not have withdrawn a few hundos from one of my home loans to make up the last little bit i needed for a purchase.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with that as long as it involves an item that is rare that may not reappear in the future. For example, making a habit of that could be dangerous, but let’s just say a trophy card/snap card or in my scenario the Prerelease Raichu came out and I didn’t have the cash I would 100% do it because I may never have the opportunity to get it again. Again, I’m not saying a payment plan is the answer for everything but for a sought after item why not.

Just providing the counter point to this and answering your question of “why not”. Debt is made for a few things. Houses, businesses, educations, cars. Even for those four debt can be abused.

It makes me queasy when I see people having to offload consumer goods when inevitable hard times hit to fund some “emergency” that they should have been prepared for in the first place. Anyone who has kids, a house, a car, pets, debt or liabilities of any kind should have an emergency fund that NEVER gets dipped into except for a true emergency. Not only do most folks not have an e-fund, but many are actually living paycheck to paycheck and going into debt beyond that. It is pure insanity. It is one thing if you make very little and the day to day bills cause this paycheck to paycheck nature, but debt is NEVER the answer even in that case. Every dollar you take on in debt is more interest you have to pay simply furthering your poor position. Every dollar paid to interest is one less dollar you can use to consume. The fact that many people I see friends and co workers are going into debt for designer labels, shiny electronics, going out to eat/drink, vacations etc. drives me nuts and the thought of many members on here doing it for Pokemon cards is just as bad.

Pokemon is such a speculative market it is never worth going into debt over. If you say you are buying on debt from the collector end well I think that is just as bad. Maybe for someone living with parents and just having no monetary responsibilities at all it wouldn’t be so bad, but still having cash for the things you buy is just a necessity in life. It is way too expensive to go through life buying stuff with other peoples money and there is just too much risk of things going south.

3 Likes

4 Likes