Unlimited edition of Japanese sets during the XY era

First of all, thanks to @quuador for this topic, here’s a brief summary of what’s interesting to me:

My question is, how are we sure the CP sets do not have an UED?
It was previously thought XY11 did not have an UED, and I recently found an XY8 UED (link). So XY9 probably has one as well.

CP sets are a bit different though, I don’t think they would be reprinted 2-3 years after the 1st edition, as they were meant for collectors more than players (with the exception of CP4 which was mostly reprints). So I wonder…

Maybe my next quest is to comb eBay and other platforms for some CP UED.

4 Likes

I can confirm that XY9 has a very rare unlimited print run. Everything else looks good to me from my knowledge.

5 Likes

@walkyrion @fourthstartcg Thanks for the corrections! Edited my linked thread by adding the XY8 and XY9 unlimited editions.

If you or anyone else sees any other mistakes in that list, lmk. I’ll also try to update it soon™ with the newest sets.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@fourthstartcg, thanks for the info
@quuador, thanks for your hard work

Interestingly enough, every seller I’ve seen selling UED XY11 was under the impression 1st was more valuable, and I’ve even seen one offer a discount on a secret Gardevoir EX 059 on mercari because it wasn’t 1st. So I guess 1st has more desirability despite being way more abundant than UED. I’m curious to see where this will go in 10, 15 years.

Unlimited can be very niche. It comes in play when species collectors collect all variants. Hard to find an available copy, and hard to find a buyer than needs it. I’ve been overpaying for unlimited since some copies only come up once every few years.

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely overpaid the Secret Gardevoir ($190 for a LP condition, although it looks great on the photo), it’s the most I ever paid for a card but I just had to buy it. I’m ready to wait a long time before getting my hands on the final UED I need… but years, man that’s long.

I’m one of those species collector. Very hard to find unlimited box XY10, I have seen XY9 for sale, but didn’t need it. I was able to buy two XY10 so far.

2 Likes