UK 4th Print Base Set

Hey all,

This has been a set that has always confused me. 6-7 years ago when I was collecting i’m pretty sure no one ever mentioned or even knew what the 4th print Base set was, people only recognised 1st ed, Shadowless and standard. However, coming back into the scene the last year this is a set that seems very sought after, even more so than Shadowless right?

So my question in general is, why is it so desirable? It is simply because of rarity and the short print run? Because the cards look exactly the same apart from the bottom ofc :blush:

In general how much are they worth relative to standard, shadowless and 1st ed? I’ve seen Gem mint pokemon open packs for example with 1999-2000 on the commons and uncommons but standard 1999 holos from the same packs, kinda sucks!

For example check this auction out for the Zard:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pokemon-Card-Charizard-Base-Set-Holo-Unlimited-1999-2000-4th-Print-UK-/262472316589?hash=item3d1c91b6ad:g:ePMAAOSwmtJXVbXL

I’m considering just doing the BIN despite the card being out of shape because of how scarce it is. I don’t mind the horrible back since I wouldn’t be grading it or should I wait on the auction?

Thanks all!

I’m not sure about being more desirable than shadowless but I think the main appeal is definitely their rarity. I have heard that the print run was very short which makes them quite elusive cards.

1 Like

1999-2000 cards differ in colour from the rest of the print runs, so they don’t look exactly the same

don’t pay the buy it now price for that auction, these charizards pop up quite frequently in crap condition, the premium for these cards are the greatest when they’re in mint condition

Yeah I guess they look ever so slightly to normal unlimited!

I’ll heed your advice and not BIN. The front looks pretty good, and would sit nicely in a binder but 45 is still quite a lot. Funnily enough in ebay.co.uk, these don’t show up very often at all. Quite ironic since they’re UK print run and are more common in the US!

1 Like

I forgot about the Colour difference to be honest! I saw that auction and decided to pass it up, the are some hefty looking damages on the back even if the front is nm+

Yes not many in Australia either, but I’ve noticed they are constantly being listed from the Netherlands and Poland, all in the excellent condition range though

1 Like

Yeah the back looks so bad… esp for his shadowless one but you just don’t see things like this in the UK very often!

I hope this doesn’t sell so he relists for cheaper haha.

all as you said the holos are the rarest as most of the packs uses regualar unlimited holos that were left over

I think that charizard is priced okay… ish; for the condition.

It’s a real hard set to put a price on these days, much like foreign base cards in general.

I sold a psa 9 1999-2000 charizard last year… honestly forget what it went for now… i think it sold nearly 500+ AUD; i do sort of miss it >.<""

Actually, these cards were known nearly a decade prior to 2009. Nobody was interested in them though. If nothing else, they were less desireable. It is interesting how collectors suddenly decide to make them a big deal. It’s because a couple of imaginative sellers start marketing any anamoly;)

2 Likes

Yeah thats why there so cool because of the anamolington. I hope to get these in 10 one day, seems to be absolutely none around. Might have to go psa with these. Do you have a bunch of them??? Are you hiding dem in your laires.

Thats what I’m trying to say from the start! No one cared if they even existed or not, people only cared about 1st ed, shadowless and lumped this and unlimited together for the most part. Now BAM everyone wants a hold of these e.g. that complete set auction.

It’s honestly kind of one thing I dislike about the community haha, people just following the trend and valuing something more super arbitrarily. I’ll get a 4th print zard because it’s unique from the others, but no way will I care about any of the other 101 :blush:

well i recommned for someone like you good sirington that If you follow the trend noone can achieve it will be much more challenging, and fun and thats where you will find anomolies. Who has a complete set in psa 10 of 4th print run? I say there priceless if GEM, money is nothing compared to mint copies of these IMO. A mint toploader binder of this set would be amazing to, it seems not many people protect there awesome stuff in these toploader binders compared to 9 pocket ringless binders. With toploader binder you have just as good protection as PSA ect, and whoever is keeping these mint inside there toploader binder would be where id be grabbing the set.

(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

i would love to own a complete psa 10 copy og the set or holo set

1 Like

The problem is most people don’t know the 1999-2000 print is even a thing. They just list the cards like they would any other Base Set cards.

You have to scour though hundreds of listings, zooming in on copyright dates if you want to find them lol. Fortunately you don’t have to do that with the 1999-2000 Charizard because it’s visually different, so it’s easy to pick out without looking at the copyright date.

I definitely wouldn’t pay £70 for it. If you wait long enough someone will list the same card for £30-40 thinking it’s just a regular Charizard.

I thought that too, yeah I’m not going to be bidding on this one even at 45! Could you say what’s so visually different? I really can’t see much a difference…

lets play spot the difference lol

From a glance I guess slight colour difference on the card, foil pattern of course the bottom writing being different? :^)

you see the black streaks in the unlimited artwork? they are purple in the 1999-2000, thats the main colour difference

You mean in general all over the card right? I can see it partly i guess haha.