Base Set Unlimited - Sixth print 1999-2000 (UK) Value

Hey guys, I’m new here. Awesome to see so many people still excited about Pokemon cards!

So I was reading this interesting article about different variations of the Base Set and I found something interesting. Have you heard of the sixth print of the unlimited Base Set? It was printed specifically for UK and from what I gathered it’s much more rare than the five other prints since it was printed for UK only. The difference is the last line in the bottom part of the card:

Prints 1 through 5
“© 1995, 96, 98, 99 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. © 1999 Wizards.”

Print 6
” ©1995, 96, 98 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. ©1999-2000 Wizards.”

My question is - how much do you think it ups the value of a Unlimited holo? Honestly I could see this being something interesting to have as part of a collection. Any insight is much appreciated, thanks!

My source:
relentlessdragon.com/pokemon-card-game/identifying-early-pokemon-cards/

2 Likes

This is well-known by serious collectors. These cards generally sell for more than the other Unlimited print cards but not as much as the 1st edition or Shadowless cards.

5 Likes

It’s a pretty well known variant, some people ho crazy for them. This video has the most concise background relating to them, if you want to dig deeper into them

5 Likes

Thanks guys, appreciate the help :grin: The video is really informative, definitely gonna be on the lookout for those cards. I’m based in Europe so maybe there’s a chance.

Oh and by the way, just to correct some misinformation:

• The first print run (1st edition / Shadowless) reads as: ©1995, 96, 98, 99 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. ©1999 Wizards.
  • Print runs 2-7 (Unlimited) read as: ©1995, 96, 98 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. ©1999 Wizards.
  • Print run 8 (UK) reads as: ©1995, 96, 98 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. ©1999-2000 Wizards.
3 Likes

I think it is overlooked at the moment. It is interesting that 1999-2000 packs often contained regular unlimited holos, meaning that the holo cards not found in theme decks are fairly hard to find. This extra challenge in obtaining the last variant of the coveted base set should spark more interest from collectors. A major issue is that PSA not yet recognize this variant.

1 Like

IMO these cards are not that underrated. Rarity aside I don’t think it has much going for it. It’s the same exact card as Unlimited but with a different copyright date. It doesn’t have the honor of being first (1st edition / Shadowless) or having different features from the Unlimited series like 1st edition / Shadowless does.

These cards already fetch a premium compared to regular Unlimited, but I just don’t see them ever exploding. I think they’ll remain niche.

3 Likes

They are definitely niche. A bit like the Japanese no rarity variant. But it is something to go after once you have finished your goals for 1st edition, shadowless and regular unlimited. Because the holos in particular are fairly hard to find it will not take that many new collectors to substantially drive up the prices in the future. However, the biggest game changer would be if PSA started to label these cards as a different variant.

4 Likes

To be fair, they do have slightly different coloration than Unlimited, so there is a physical difference. But yeah. It’s not nearly as prominent as the difference between 1st Edition/Shadowless and Unlimited, so it is ridiculously niche.

4 Likes

With No Rarity, there’s an appeal there - they were the first Base Set cards ever printed in any language. With the 99-00 print, I don’t really see the appeal outside of people who collect *everything*, which is not the vast majority of collectors.

1 Like

I collect 4th print and I don’t collect everything. I don’t collect 1st ed. or shadowless for instance.

So should we be calling it 8th print nowadays? I’m still stuck calling it 4th!

1 Like

Same for me! You can really tell the difference when you have them side by side. I think they look much nicer as well as the pack arts.

Technically if you wanted to yes 8th Print makes more sense than 4th Print or 6th Print but i hear more people use the term Base 2000.
The video posted above goes into detail about this too :blush:

Being from the UK myself i love this print run & find it much harder to locate 1999-2000 holo’s than unlimited! Like Ludkins said in his video i think if PSA start to recognise it properly we might see a boom in this area. IMO it’s totally undervalued and overlooked at the moment. :stuck_out_tongue: If i do come across a 1999-2000 Holo i will definitely pay more for it than i would an unlimited.

1 Like

I assume it’s called the “4th print” because it comes after 1st edition, Shadowless, and the rest of Unlimited. It’s a bit of a misnomer though. It would more accurately be called the “4th variation” or the 8th print.

@pikachutcg, I can see why these cards may appealing to UK collectors in particular!

2 Likes

Would 4th print boosterboxes go for much higher price then the unlimited?
Does that reflect that to the cards itself?
Aren’t Australian boxes harder to find then the UK?

Incorrect: :blush:

The major aesthetic differences are:

• Copyright Date becomes “1999-2000 Wizards”

• Lighter colour shades on the cards

• Vulpix HP is corrected

• Charizard background stripes

• They also feel quite different

1 Like

@bartallen2 , I mentioned the copyright date difference. But yeah, I didn’t realize that the colors were lighter compared to Unlimited (it would be interesting to see a direct comparison).

1 Like

www.elitefourum.com/t/base-set-2000-a-guide-to-the-last-print-of-base-set/22312/1

1 Like

I don’t think they’re undervalued. I think they sell at a decently fair price. Given how long some of them stay up on ebay, they might be overvalued. I side-collect them myself but as mentioned, more than anything because I needed a new goal after completing the base, shadowless, and 1st edition. Most collectors, I imagine, would go for shadowless over “4th print” (UK/8th print/etc.) and when you’re dropping significant cash on 4th print, you might as well go for 1st edition if you haven’t done it yet.
It’s a fun little side niche project for some but its lack of defining factors, with the highlight being a copyright date, isn’t enough to push most people to spend big money on it. In comparison with other cards of the time, it’s prices have stayed relatively stable. Until PSA decides to recognize them…which it doesn’t look like they will anytime soon…it will never gain the popularity that something like “shadowless” was able to accomplish.