Tracking Value beyond spreadsheets

Once upon a time before Covid someone in here was creating a website/user interface where you could use dropdowns to select Japanese/English, Set/Promo, then Card Grade to build your 'portfolio" of cards you owned. The idea would be that the website would scrape sales data from websites like Ebay periodically and update the total value of your collection. I always thought this was an amazing idea but the website didn’t really work back when it dropped. Was there ever any improvement? Was it an abandoned project? Are we stuck just guessing/wasting time building excel spreadsheets and manually updating after periodically looking at sales history? Really would be a godsend if someone created that application and made it work properly. I feel like people would pay a fee to build their collection in something like that for easy management/tracking.

2 Likes

I thought about this a while ago

pokedata does that, have to get a premium subscription to track multiple portfolios and other QoL features. It’s a huge project and even pokedata frequently misprices cards just because there is so much to cover.

I’m a web designer and would be super down to help build a free user tool though, just need a chill developer to work with.

1 Like

Is it just set cards or does it include stuff like prize and promo/trophy stuff? Does it built the port by slab/grade or what?

The PSA set registry does an ok job but obviously only works with PSA cards. I don’t think an ideal solution exists.

1 Like

not sure if they have trophy, mostly set stuff. You can check sales by raw/slabbed

right, I think there is an opportunity to create that solution. But probably a large barrier to entry since there are already a lot of apps out there that fail to perfectly capture the value of all cards

someone must build us a viable solution :frowning:

Not it

1 Like

i’ll do it, I’m sick of spreadsheets
despite how much I love spreadsheets, just don’t want to manually enter prices every month for the rest of my life

2 Likes

@TCGFish

Do you have an interest in expanding toward this direction?

2 Likes

We need one with the big 3 slab companies. CGC PSA TAG

Bank roll it mr. worldwide

1 Like

We should have one of the smaller slab companies like SGC or Beckett bankroll it so they can be included in the dropdowns

Psa > cgc > beckett > sgc > tag

2 Likes

If CGC could surpass Beckett so quickly, I’m sure Tag can too. Its a shame BGS doesn’t really take themselves seriously. They have nice slabs. But yeah have one of these smaller companies bankroll it to be included :sweat_smile:

2 Likes