Total amount of Foil Stamped 2005-6 Victory Medals?

Hey does anyone know the total amount of the 2005-6 Victory Medals given out that have the foil Gym Challenge 2006 stamping on them?

To give you a guestimate answer:

Off the top of my head in around 2007 there were 241 different Pokémon Gym venues in Japan and I’d assume that meant there were at least 200 venues in 2006.

To work out how many gold medals were awarded, you simply need to find out how many different dates the tournament was held on for each venue - we can assume that each tournament awarded 1 gold medal, but they may also be separated into different age brackets (there are usually 2). At minimum this means if a tournament was held at each of the 200 venues and there was only 1 date and 1 age bracket, you’d be looking at a distribution of 200, however this is unlikely as chances are the tournament was held at multiple dates (they’re usually spread across an entire month) and have 2 age brackets, so I’d guess that you’re probably looking at a distribution of between 1,000 and 3000, but it could be much higher - I don’t know how long those events go on for.

To get the number of silver medals awarded you need to find out how many slots each venue had. This is less easy to do, but if you’re lucky the event timetable will be archived on Web Archive and you can kinda assume that each venue received enough cards to fill those slots. I imagine at least 50% of the participants will have been awarded silver medals, but this could be a lot closer to 100%. Based on research I’ve done before you’re looking at anywhere between 5,000 and 50,000, but again it really depends on how long those events go on for.

It is very possible to find the actual answer, but it requires a bit of work. Head on over to the Web Archive and go back in time on the Japanese Pokémon website (either www.pokemon.co.jp or www.pokemon-card.com) and head into the Event or Info section and try to pinpoint the start of the event - it should link you through to the calendar (you’ll need a browser with translation built in or a translation extension to do this, unless you can read Japanese).

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer @pichufan, however I was more specifically looking for info on the silver medals that received the 2006 Foil stamp. I dont have access to imgur atm but this is an example link to an image of one:

www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/372939207751_/Pokemon-card-Japanese-PSA-10-2005-Pikachu-Victory.jpg

1 Like

According to Bulbapedia:
Both a silver medal version and gold medal version were awarded in the same manner for the 2005-2006 season, with the 2006 Gym☆Final events taking place at 7 stores across Japan between May 14 and 28, 2006. Another silver medal version on the PCG Era card template with a 2005 copyright was awarded to winners of regional Gym☆Challenge events held in December 2006 and is further distinguished by a gold foil Gym☆Challenge 2006 stamp in the top right of the effect text area.
Silver and gold Victory Medals were awarded in the same manner for the 2006-2007 season. These prints are on the DP Era template and have a Black Star promo symbol. The silver versions have 2006 copyright and the gold versions have a 2007 copyright. Gym☆Final events took place between May 20 and June 3, 2007; however, due to the number of 2006-2007 gold Victory Medal prints that have surfaced, it is speculated that more Gym☆Final events were held in comparison to the 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 seasons.

Also, I would take into consideration the amount of sealed copies available since they’re hard to come by, and each sealed card has one copy of the card or 3 (x2 silver and x1 gold) inside, at least for the non-stamped card.

I guess the answer is however many winners there were during that one month :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep there’s that to understand, but from what I’ve seen the foil stamped version is quite rare/doesn’t pop up frequently even in Japan. Also depending if they were released selaed with 1copy or more inside it then changes the quantity a little bit. The ones from the next year I’ve seen sealed with only 1copy inside or with 3copies (sealed still remains rare to find) so I don’t know XD