Guide to Japanese Victory Medals

Victory Medals are some of the most popular “entry level” trophy cards, but their origins are actually shrouded in a good deal of mystery. I decided to explore the events that distributed these medals–here’s the results!

Original Victory Medals

Full articles:pokumon.com/japan-official-pokemon-card-gym-events-2003-2007/ , pokumon.com/japan-official-pokemon-card-gym-events-2008-2009/

• These were distributed starting in 2005 at Official Gym stores. These were similar to the Pokemon Leagues runs at local card / hobby shops in America.
  • Official Gym stores would host Gym Challenges every month, with winners receiving the Silver medals
  • The Gold medals were given out to the winners of the regional “Gym Final” events, but were also later distributed a bunch of other Official Events to winners, so they’re not exclusive with one exception
  • The 2005 Gold Medal was only given out during Gym Final events in 2005 & 2006. This means there are only 42 of this card officially distributed (21 each year–7 Gym Finals across 3 age groups). Super rare!

Legendary Pokemon Medals

Full articles:pokumon.com/challenge-hiroba-plaza-events/, pokumon.com/pokemon-battle-tour-09/

• The Giratina medal was given out in 2008 Challenge Hiroba Events as a prize for winning 5 times in a row
  • Challenge Hiroba is actually an English mistranslation that somehow has persisted for over a decade. The Japanese even name is “ポケモンチャレンジひろば”, which translates to “Pokemon Challenge Plaza”. These events were held at hypermarkets / shopping centers across Japan instead of in card shops.
  • The Arceus metals were given out at the Pokemon Battle Tour 09. This summer event was held in 44 prefectures across Japan, and featured 2 “leagues”. In one league you played with a full 60-card deck, and another league you played with a 30-card half deck. Winners of the standard league got both gold & silver medals, while the “half” league only got the silver one.

Gen 2 Starter Medals

Full articles:pokumon.com/challenge-hiroba-plaza-events/, pokumon.com/pokemon-battle-challenge/

• The 3 silver medals were given out in an identical way to the silver Giratina medal: winning at Challenge Hiroba events.
  • The gold Typhlosion medal was a prize if you won 2 consecutive times at the Pokemon Battle Challenge. These event was held in the Fall - Winter of 2009 in department stores across Japan

L-P Pikachu Medals

Full Article:pokumon.com/japan-official-pokemon-card-gym-events-2008-2009/

• In November 2009, Gym Challenges began distributing these medals for 1st-3rd place winners.
  • These were held monthly at each store, and stores would continue to given these to players throughout 2010 until the Gen 5 TCG expansions started coming out in Fall of 2010.

And there you have it! These are some of my favorite promo cards so I hope you also appreciate the extra details behind their origins :blush:

23 Likes

Love this, thank you for compiling it all!

Fantastic guide! Thanks for putting this together.

1 Like

Great guide, I never understood how exactly this worked and why there were silver medals more expensive than others, the 2005 it really is some rarity!

Thank you ! Amazing job :blush:

Great to know more about these medals, would be amazing for an english version guide one day

1 Like

Some of my favorite cards. Wish they would return to giving these out for league cups instead of the crappy trainer promos

This is really well done, thank you for taking the time to put it together.

2 Likes

Thank you, saw a bundle of them on yahoo auction recently and was curious as to if there are fakes and if there are fake trophy cards, how does one tell them apart? Cheers.

1 Like

There could certainly be fakes of any card, but I haven’t seen many in particular for victory medals. Your best bet is to treat them like any other cards and closely inspect things like the holo pattern (should be on the medal part only for most of them) as well as the rosette patterns in the printing.

2 Likes

great guide though you ommited the silver medal with the stamp on it and also the english ones with the battle road shield on the bottom right

The silver medal with the stamp on it is in this article: Japan Official Pokemon Card Gym Events 2003 - 2007 - Pokumon

The US ones are in another article as they are from very different events:

1 Like

excellent thank you.