Tonysandlin's Voltorb and Electrode Collection Thread!

If you need other Italian cards contact me! :wink:

1 Like

always impressive keep it going!

Thanks everyone! I’m really happy with how my collection is turning out! There are only a handful of cards left that are going to be hard to snag, but I’m nearly finished!

Korean

Welcome back again! This week I bring you my Korean Voltorb collection!

The Korean prints started out with Base Set (surprise, surprise), but then didn’t print any cards until many years later. But, lets focus on Base Set for a second. This is one of those sets that gave me a lot of confusion and created many questions. Some of you may remember me asking around if anyone knew anything about the unlimited print. According to many, the unlimited print for Korean Base may not have ever existed, due to them never seeing evidence of it before. In fact, after gaining access to a Korean Pokmeon forum, I was informed by numerous members that they had only ever seen 1st edition, which led them to believe that was all there was. Of course, the great members of UPCCC were able to help me sniff out the real answer, by showing evidence of unlimited cards. Anyway, I had lost some confidence in being able to ever find the unlimited Base Voltorb and Electrode due to no one in the Korean forum having them and being unable to find any real evidence of the cards through research.

Then I stumbled across a LiveJournal account showcasing many of the languages for some Pokemon. Among those cards shown, I noticed there were some unlimited Korean Base cards! I also noticed this person had a want list which did not include Voltorb and Electrode. My intuition was that they had the cards I needed, so I asked. Surely enough, this person had the unlimited Base Korean Voltorb and Electrode! It took a long while and a lot of searching around, but in the end, I was able to find my top two most wanted cards (in my own country, no less)!

Spoiler

Spoiler

The remaining cards are not as exciting to me, but they are interesting nonetheless. Korean D&P and Platinum cards were not released in the traditional way. Instead, cards from different expansions were mixed together and 10 different “Series” were created. This is why a Secret Wonders Voltorb and Stormfront Electrode appear in the same set. Additionally, this Electrode is unique because it is the only one with that particular art that is holographic. I think that makes it stand out a bit. Korean cards, beginning with Black & White, were printed in expansions identical to Japanese expansions. Voltorb and Electrode from both Black & White and XY are included.

Well, that would be all for my Korean collection, which stands complete at 10/10. I am very proud to have been able to complete it, but since there are more Korean cards printed each year, this collection will probably grow in the future. My total collection count at this point is 301 of 31. The next update will be my Chinese collection. There are a few people here that might be interested in seeing that one so keep watching this space for more updates!

Thanks again for reading!

1 Like

Congrats on the Korean collection! That’s awesome that you can find a really unique card just based off of where it was created in the series of a different country. Keep it going! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Chinese

Well, it’s been quite a while since I last posted any pictures of my collection and I feel like I’ve been doing a disservice to Voltorb by avoiding this responsibility… So today, I bring you my Chinese collection!

This set of cards is rather small and, like Dutch, there will be no new cards in the foreseeable future.

Spoiler

Initially, I did not include Chinese cards because I didn’t know they existed. Then, after learning about the Base Set, I was confused on how many versions of the language were actually available. About half of the people that I asked claimed there were 2 or more, while the other half were certain of only a single print. So, many hours were spent scouring the internet for Hong Kong, Taiwan and Simplified prints, I reached the conclusion that only the Taiwan print was ever officially printed. These conclusions were also echoed by quite a few reliable sources. In addition to all the previous confusion, there were rumors that the 1st edition print didn’t exist, which turned out to be false.

The final two cards belong to the Chinese version of EX Legend Maker. These two were a challenge to collect. A challenge that PokemonChina eventually made look pathetic XD Nevertheless, a lot of time was spent searching for these two cards. Eventually, I stumbled across a Chinese Facebook forum. After joining the group and making a post, a number of folks came forward offering the Voltorb and Electrode. After all that time wasted on Chinese blogs and google search images, all I needed to do was join a stupid Facebook group haha Either way, the journey I went on ultimately solidify the Chinese EX Legend Maker Voltorb and Electrode as my favorite cards in my entire collection.

My Chinese collection is complete with a total of 6 cards. My next update will probably be the World Championship cards.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 Likes

To this day I still couldn’t tell you which one is electrode and which one is voltorb =P Glad to see you found what you were looking for.

1 Like

LMAO Thanks, it was certainly a relief when those final two came in the mail!

Love the uniqueness of your collection as always. At least you got to complete a “set” in this!

1 Like

Nice! An impressive endeavor. to clarify on the language point - Hong Kong and Taiwan both use traditional characters. It’s just that in HK people speak Cantonese, in Taiwan they speak Mandarin. There are Cantonese names for the Pokemon, but they never got a separate print.

The difference between the characters is noticeable even if you don’t read Chinese.

Example: Charizard.
Simplified: 喷火龙
Traditional: 噴火龍
(First and third characters super fancy)

Simplified characters are only in use on the mainland, where, contrary to what I’ve read on bulbapedia etc, Pokemon was never officially released in any format.

There are no simplified Chinese prints out there. If you see one, it’s a fake card!

Sorry to ramble on your post - just putting this one to bed for you so there’s no more worries about missing any voltorbs or electrodes!

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! That is probably what was meant when I was told that both Taiwan and HK received different prints. Thankfully, it was all false, because getting one set was hard enough.

Quick update! I’m currently working on putting all my pictures on the first post so that it is more convenient to view. The original posts will still contain all the details of each individual language, so you can check those out if you’d like. I also took the opportunity to re scan my cards so that it now shows my new black pages. New cards have been added to the previously revealed languages, so as those get added to the front page, I will list the new additions.

Alright, on to the good stuff.

World Championship

Spoiler

Another small piece to my collection, the World Championship section only contains 7 cards. These cards have always as far as where they fit in the big picture. Since they are only printed in English, I’ve considered including them with those cards, but I’ve as felt that they are unique enough to stand on their own. To add to that, these cards have a unique back to them, unlike the English or Japanese backs. Ultimately, I decided they were better off grouped together as a separate entity.

Gathering all seven was an interesting journey. I had to first scan through the deck list of every WC deck and come up with a list of all the Voltorbs and Electrodes that were included in them. Because these cards don’t hold any particular value, I found it difficult to find any of them listed on eBay or on any trade lists. So, once again, I turn to Troll and Toad for help. The graciously pulled out one of each signed card that I asked for (and telling me they would not normally handle such a request) rather than make me try my luck on a handful of cards. They had all the Voltorbs, but unfortunately, they had all but the Jimmy Ballard Electrode. After searching for many more months, I finally came across one of the Eeveelutions from the same deck. It turns out the seller also had the Electrode and was willing to sell it to me at a reasonable price.

Although it might be very unlikely, the World Championship collection might some day get some new additions. This, of course, depends on Voltorb or Electrode getting a print that is worthy of being used in competitive play. But as for now, my WC collection is complete at 7.

For my next update, I will be moving back to the larger languages; German and Italian. Be on the look out for my next post!

Thanks for reading!

Spoiler
6 Likes

Love the silver borders on those cards! They must like you at Troll and Toad as I have asked them for specific cards and they said that they can only pull at random

1 Like

Maybe I just talked to the right person. They also helped me with the code variations so I didn’t need to buy a ton of random common Voltorbs.

2 Likes

Man you go HAM on those guys O.o

Nice stuff man

1 Like

Dude this collection is awesome, it’s exactly like my Pikachu one! Kind of wish I had chosen a less popular Pokemon though so there wouldn’t be so many reprints… haha. I’ll probably read through the whole thread in detail once I’m home from work but wanted to say this is pretty neat. Nice work! If you need some contacts for Italian or German I can put you in contact with a few people.

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s pretty fun trying to nab all the different versions.

Thanks for the praises :grin: Pikachu would be a pretty tough Pokemon to collect, I imagine haha If I tried that with Pikachu, I’d probably be looking at over 1000 cards… but it would be quite an impressive collection.

Thanks for the offer for the German and Italian cards. Just 2 months ago, I was searching everywhere for cards in those languages, but I no longer need any Italian and German Torbs or Trodes :blush:

Pikachu is sitting at roughly 580 cards right now. (: if you’re curious, stop in my collection thread!

Nice job on completing Italian/German!

POKEMON STADIUM #101 ELECTRODE BILINGUAL SEALED PROMO

www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-STADIUM-101-ELECTRODE-BILINGUAL-SEALED-PROMO-/131657912337?hash=item1ea76c5011:g:xbwAAOSwpDdVYgtq

Looks cool! I might pick it up, but I tend to avoid anything that is not official TCG. Trying to focus on the Legend and E series Torbs right now :stuck_out_tongue: