Tonysandlin's Voltorb and Electrode Collection Thread!

I think it’s BW8

1 Like

Today I finally reached the 400 mark in my collection! I am currently getting some scans ready for the next collection, which I decided will be French. Hopefully, the rest of the week is as good as today. I have a possible transaction for the last of the Dutch, Korean and Portuguese cards and I really hope to be able to snag them all! So for now, I’ll leave pictures of the Voltorb/Electrode bowl I made at a college function. Enjoy!

Spoiler

Welcome back to my collection thread!

Earlier in the week, I received the remaining French cards I needed, so its about time to post some pictures! Before I get into that, I’d like to thank Supers25 for all of her help. Approximately 75 percent of my French collection was obtained through her, while most of the rest was through various sellers on PriceMinister. All in all, collecting French cards was a great experience. The forum was friendly and welcoming and the language is great. My only problem with my collection at this point is that some of the cards are in poor condition. You will see that quite obviously in my pictures. I do plan on replacing them in the future, but the current goal was to complete the set, so I am willing to put up with less than desirable conditions at the moment.

I hope you enjoy the photos and thanks for viewing my collection.

French

The French Pokemon TCG has omitted a number of expansions, some of which include Voltorb and Electrode. Obviously, this means there are less cards in this collection than there were in Japanese and English. This will be a trend for the remaining collections I own. Base set is really the only certainty here. I also want to note that Voltorb is spelled as Voltorbe in French and Electrode is the same, but with an accent over the first “e” for Base – Aquapolis.

Spoiler

The Gym sets were skipped and so Aquapolis comes directly after Team Rocket (keep in mind, I’m only talking about expansions that include Torb and Trode). Derpy Electrode looks just as awesome with French text as it did in any other language. I thoroughly enjoy seeing it over and over again.

Spoiler

As you may have guessed, the ADV cards have codes just as they did in Japanese and English. Though, unlike Japanese, French cards have the exact same codes as English. The codes for EX Hidden Legends Voltorb are CG3, R66, VA5 and S0P for the RH. The EX FRLG Voltorbs on the bottom have the following codes: B1B, 0UU and on the next page: 5LR and S31 for the RH.

Spoiler

Electrode ex is unfortunately one of the cards that is in poor condition. It is easy to see the peeling on the border of the card. One of my EX Emerald Voltorbs is also in bad condition with a corner cut off and some other wear and tear. The codes on those Voltorbs are E39, QW1, 6XZ and 5QX for the RH. What makes these RH cards extra cool, is that the name of the set is stamped on the card in the corresponding language. I think it is a nice touch.

Spoiler

Holon’s Voltorb breaks all the rules for the code patterns established! For some reason, one of the non holo codes is repeated for the holographic card. The codes are PNZ, TRG, 6JL and TRG for the RH. I am unsure if this change in the pattern is true of any other Pokemon card in this expansion or in others. If anyone ever finds out, I’d like to know. As you can see, my EX Legend Maker Voltorb RH is in very poor condition. This is a bit unfortunate because it is my favorite Voltorb card across all the languages. I will have to get a replacement for this one eventually.

Spoiler

I never really have anything to say for the Diamond and Pearl cards… I guess they just don’t really stand out for me, with the exception of Shiny Voltorb.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Its very interesting how the price of the Electrode Prime is wildly different from language to language. In French, I go it for about the same price as the English version, but in other languages, it can cost around 15 dollars or more. This also seems to be true for Electrode ex and Shiny Voltorb as well.
I also noticed that the accent above the first “e” in Electrode returns for the 5th generation cards. If it was put in place for pronunciation reasons, I wonder why it was taken out in the first place.

Spoiler

Spoiler

That’s it for French which comes to 79/79, bringing my total collection to 283/295. My next update will be either German or Italian. Hopefully I will have all of the cards for either collection by then so I won’t have anything missing for the update. I am still looking out for those Japanese cards that I am missing, so give me a holler if you have something to trade or sell!

Thanks for viewing!

ahhh this is a super beautiful collection! it’s amazing to see how diverse card art can be, even though voltorb and electrode have such a clean and simple designs. you imagine there’s not much to be done, but this totally proves the opposite.

dark electrode is pretty amazing haha.

1 Like

Your dedication is something to marvel at.

3 Likes

Thanks! I agree with the diversity. I imagine it is pretty hard to get brand new poses for Voltorb and Electrode, but sometimes the artist manages to make it work. I really like the use of background to help combat the monotony of the two Pokemon. I especially love the background of the XY Voltorb.
I will say, I can’t believe the stock art for Electrode was used in two separate cards…

I think my dedication to this collection drives my girlfriend crazy :stuck_out_tongue:
But thanks for the compliment! I really have been working hard on this collection for quite a while. Its had its ups and downs with my motivation. Especially for the cards that I felt seemed impossible to get. Luckily for me, whenever I deem a card impossible to get or the card that will keep my collection incomplete, I tend to find it. The Chinese Legend Maker and Korean unlimited Base ones are a great example! Currently, my impossible ones are the Japanese unlimited Clash at the Summit RH’s.

It will be bitter sweet when I’m done with this collection.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some awesome Eeveelutions, Mews, Lugias, Charizards, and such along the way in those different languages. You seem to have made some contacts that other people just won’t be able to make. And that could really help you to fund your own collection if you were to resell some hot foreign cards.

1 Like

Agreed. The Eeveelutions literally print money @viperfox can agree. We know some crazy people for those.

You both have good points. I’ve been considering that for a while, but I’m not ready to get into the resale business. I’m kept pretty busy with this collection and with helping a few others get some as well. At the moment, if anyone is looking for cards in other languages, I would be happy to help. If it gets to be a big thing, I might charge commission.

With that being said, if anyone wants some cards from the Chinese EX Legend Maker or older Korean sets, I might be able to help with that. I especially hope Chinese LM gets more popular because it is such an isolated and rare collection of cards that very few people know about.

1 Like

Just a quick update since it’s been a long time. I have been getting quite a few cards recently. I’m really trying to crack down on the bigger sets that I have yet to complete such as German and Italian. I also got a few of my most wanted cards coming soon including Portuguese EX Team Rocket Returns Voltorb RH and Korean Base Voltorb and Electrode unlimited.

It’s been a pretty big summer so far and I’m really looking forward to sharing some new additions. I just have to get my scanner working and I will update with pictures. Also, I have made it past the 500 mark! Less than 50 to go!

3 Likes

This thread needs more voltorb.

1 Like

very cool!

1 Like

Hey mate do you need these?

Attachments:

I actually don’t need those but thanks for offering! There are a few Japanese ones I still need though. All unlimited cards!

Do you have a wtb list?

I sure do!
www.elitefourum.com/t/want-thai-electrode-from-jet-black-spirit/11210/1

1 Like

Just nabbed the Dutch unlimited Jungle Electrode holo! I’m so excited to finally get the last of my most sought after cards! However, during that time of searching, I have added 3 highly sought after cards: Japanese L3 Voltorb, Electrode and Electrode Prime all unlimited and reverse holo. It is a struggle to find those 3 and I might be better off buying an unlimited Clash at the Summit box if I can even find one of those. Anyone know where to find either those cards or the box?

1 Like

Dutch

Well, since it is taking much longer than anticipated to complete my German or Italian collection, I’ve elected to show other languages. Between now and the next few months, I hope to show off a few different pages from my collection. I have a few complete languages that contain less than 10 cards, so the updates will be short.

For this update, I will focus on Dutch.

Spoiler

Dutch prints started with the Base set, but only lasted until Fossil and there don’t seem to be any immediate plans for future prints. Considering that fact, my Dutch collection has only eight cards and will likely stay that way. During my time searching for Dutch cards, I had learned that the unlimited Jungle and Fossil cards were, inexplicably, much harder to find than their 1st edition counterparts. The unlimited Jungle Holo Electrode was among my top 5 most wanted cards for a good amount of time before I had located it. Prior to obtaining this Electrode, I had gone back and forth with a seller for his, before cutting me off from all communication (after paying for it, no less). For whatever reason, this seller didn’t even accept the money I had sent meaning I wasn’t even ripped off. It was as if they really didn’t want my money… haha Nevertheless, it was a frustrating situation to say the least.

Other than that one seller, my experience with Dutch cards was a good one, with a few pleasant exchanges (Dutch or other) from members of the UPCCC.
My Dutch collection is complete at 8/8 which places my total collection at 291/303.

My next update will be my Korean collection, which I hope to post within the next few weeks. I’ve got a lot going on, but I will try my best to make some time for Pokemon! As always, thanks for viewing!

4 Likes

very nice additions

1 Like

Insightful as always! Love your combination of research/historical appreciation with collecting.

2 Likes