Thoughts on prices of some collections I'm looking at

Howdy

I’m currently looking at a few collections. There are others, but these two are the only ones that I know for certain the people have.

Collection #1 $2750 shipped
Ex Series unseen forces master set, WOTC Black star promo set, Gym hero and challenge unlimited (waiting on response), all complete sets.

Collection #2 (no current value)
It’s a lot of commons, UC and non-holo rares, but they are from older sets. If you were to buy it how would you sell it?

BASE SET (87) HOLOS (5): 1, 2, 6, 13, 15 (15 has the slightest of minor specks of holo showing through on the bottom edge, but this is how it came out of the pack).
RARES (14): 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 71, 72, 73, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79.UNCOMMONS (19): COMMONS (49):

JUNGLE (36) HOLO (1): 4. RARES (4): COMMONS (15): COMMONS (16):

FOSSIL (1st Edition) (37)HOLO (1): 3 (non-1st Edition)RARES (4): 17, 25, 33, 50.UNCOMMONS (15): COMMONS (17):

TEAM ROCKET (68) HOLOS (7): 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17. RARES (13): UNCOMMONS (17): COMMONS (31):

BASE SET 2 (118)
HOLOS (13): 1, 2, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 83 (Secret Rare).
RARES (14): UNCOMMONS (31): COMMONS (60):

GYM HEROES (72)RARES (3): 25, 26, 104. UNCOMMONS (19): COMMONS (50):

GYM CHALLENGE (56) HOLO (1): 16.UNCOMMONS (13): COMMONS (42):

NEO GENESIS (79) RARES (1): 83. UNCOMMONS (37): COMMONS (41):

NEO REVELATION (2) HOLOS (2): 5, 9.

NEO DESTINY (73) HOLO (1): 5. RARES (4): UNCOMMONS (35): COMMONS (33):

LEGENDARY COLLECTION (79) HOLOS (4): 4, 7, 8, 9. RARES (3): 20, 102, 103 UNCOMMONS (38): COMMONS (34):.

EXPEDITION (24) UNCOMMONS (3): · COMMONS (21):

AQUAPOLIS (75) REVERSE HOLOS (4): UNCOMMONS (24): COMMONS (47):

SKYRIDGE (65) HOLO (1): H11.UNCOMMONS (21): · COMMONS (43):

EX RUBY & SAPPHIRE (53) RARES (7): UNCOMMONS (14): COMMONS (32):

EX FIRERED & LEAFGREEN (65) RARES (10): · UNCOMMONS (20). · COMMONS (35):

EX POWER KEEPERS (66) HOLOS (2): 2, 5. RARES (9): (Holo), 104 (Holo).UNCOMMONS (19): COMMONS (36):

To be honest, bud, this question is basically just half of the work that comes with flipping collections. Not sure anyone is going to be eager to do that work without the return on the collection themselves.

11 Likes

Just going to go back to watching my paint dry

1 Like

From selling small lots of cards in the last year or so from my own box openings, etc, it takes so much time to do price estimates. the silver lining is that the same argument can be used to drive down the set prices a bit.

For quick price checks on raw cards you can use Troll and Toad or TCG Player. Also helpful to check out what they have gone for in ebay solds and graded solds on pokemonprice.com as a comparison.

Get an idea what each card is worth, add them up and make a decision based on that.

I wasn’t expecting anyone to do all the work for me. Hopefully it didn’t come across that way. I was just wondering if my first one was too high. and the second one I got a good ballpark answer for buying lots.

I find it hard to gauge the prices. I found someone who sold nearly all the WOTC sets and ex sets months back. His last ex unseen forces sold for 2k. There was one recently that sold for $750. I’m pretty sure T&T picked it up because it a complete set was pieced out on their ebay site within 3 days. It’s really hard to find the average prices for sets when you have swings of $750, 1000 and $2k.

I’ve been out of it awhile, but UK sellers and some europeans seem to overvalue their set. Why is it that they always seem to demand a premium?

1 Like

I appreciate the advice. A person selling in bulk can’t honestly expect to get full price. As a seller I will be eating fees, it takes time to list each one individually. I simply put them online as Complete/near complete UC/C/R sets. Thank you.

Likely factoring in import duties paid somewhere along the line and the convenience of an on-hand imported good.

I know the guy you are referring to and many of those sets sold for a premium because they were all in grade worthy condition. I bought one set from him and they were all in 9-10 condition.

1 Like

I came back to the collecting game a little late :slightly_frowning_face: i could have picked up some for my personal collection.

when you get those beauties in bulk, it’s like hitting the jackpot. you almost always come out on top. in that instance, the premium is well worth it in my opinion. care to share the seller’s name?

that seller sold all their collections. all complete wotc and ex sets. and a few more. were too late

What I’ve done is create a spreadsheet listing all the individual cards or slabs and using pokemonprice and the various other sites to quickly throw prices at them. Would be faster and more accurate than looking for opinions (IMO haha). :blush:

2 Likes