Thoughts on 'Investing' in Shining Legends

Hey guys, first post here!

Thought I’d finally jump in after getting more serious about investing and collecting, and was thinking of adding some Shining Legends to my stockpile. I’m seeing the hype and thinking things like the Pikachu boxes and whatnot may be worth a bit extra far down the line.

Not looking for massive returns (like the Pikachu Mario box I um’ed and ah’ed about! :slightly_frowning_face:) but some sort of ROI!

What do we think?

Cheers!

1 Like

I think you can do alright tbh. They should earn a premium once they’re out of print.

You would be better off not investing in new sets as they will be so many people doing the same with far larger budgets. Personally you may be better off investing in old cards and sealed product or maybe picking up some popular cards to hold onto? Its very difficult to invest in modern sealed due to the huge amounts printed.

4 Likes

True.

People like Rudy from Alpha Investments come to mind. lol

You can buy Pikachu boxes for like $12 or whatever they go for in the US and perhaps double(maybe triple in a couple years) your money, but is it worth it to you? Lets say you buy 100 boxes. I’m pretty sure there are other ways to invest $1200 that won’t take up so much space and that will be easier to move when it’s time to cash in.

You can buy a WOTC booster box, or some popular cards as @geg89 suggested. We don’t know your situation/bankroll though, if you want to go this route it’s up to you really.

Appreciate it guys. Its just a bit of spare cash to play with and I guess I like the feeling of hoarding sealed product! I’m definitely looking more at WOTC stuff, no doubt, but was thinking there might be a few dollars to be made down the track with “hype” sets such as this one.

maybe if you get psa 10s of the shining cards :wink: they seem to be going for a fair bit.However we dont know the print run of these sets(i dont ha) so they could be printed and printed still. There will be an increase but who knows when! I have a bunch of newer sealed stuff…(super small scale hah) I did open the best ones a few years ago…oops¬! I wish I ddidnt because my roi would have been pretty insane % wise.
x50-100 on what i spent i think…or close to. You live and learn heh! my attitude and way of collecting etc has changed dramatically in the past 2 years

I havent got into the new sets since s+m first set so im a bit off with the newer few sets so please enlighten me if I am wrong about the above ha

That’s what people said about generations and here we are a year later… ETB have gone down in $$$

Aren’t the ETBs like $80?

Was was MSRP on these, the usual $39.99?

Generations ETBs are fetching $75-80 all day on Amazon and eBay recently.

The MSRP was $49.99 because it has two extra packs and promo in it compared to the standard 8 packs.

1 Like

new products = NOOOOOOO

Think of your exit plan. How are you going to sell all that product even if the price goes up. Shipping is expensive on all that new sealed product that has so much void space. Calculate your breakeven price and you’ll be shocked that it will likely need to double just to cover fees and shipping even more factoring in time and the fact that you want to earn some kind of a return.

6 Likes

But if you spent that money on Shadowless or 1st Zards you would have made much more while also avoiding being juiced by ebay and paypal.

How would that = you avoid being juiced?

You can choose not to sell through ebay and avoid fees.

You are the orange.

Ebay is the juicer.

The fees are the juice.

1 Like

I keep seeing Zards, what are they?
Same for ETB?

Do we think the same for newer Japanese sets? I kept a sealed 20th Anni/Evo box. Seems like they are starting to increase in price.

Charizard and Elite trainer box.

But how does investing in Zards over ETB result in you not being juiced by ebay? Still gotta sell em…

Because I can sell 1 expensive Charizard to someone locally or through a middleman and that’s much cheaper than selling dozens or hundreds of boxes through eBay.

If I’m selling that much product I’m also going to have to pay tax on what I’m doing as well…

To calculate the net yearly ROI I believe that this is a formula

=POWER(sold value - cost of item - (sold value * .13) - 3 (for shipping)),1/(number of years the item was held)) (For excel)

Does this seem semi-correct?