The Resurgence of Chansey

**Will continue to update…

The Resurgence of Chansey**

Chansey’s history can be divided into three periods:

1996 - 2003: Golden Years. During this time, Chansey was beloved and popular, particularly in Japan.
2004 - 2018: The Dark Ages. Chansey was underappreciated and a coup was attempted by Audino.
2019 - Present: The Resurgence. Chansey has enjoyed a massive comeback and the future is bright.

**TIMELINE OF KEY EVENTS:

GOLDEN YEARS**

• Base Chansey introduced. Incredibly powerful Pokemon due to 120 HP on a Basic, far higher than any other Basic Pokemon and as high as Charizard. Capable of dealing 80 damage and utilizing Double Colorless Energy.

• Chansey included in Pokemon Red & Blue. Pokedex describes as “rare and elusive”. Highest HP stat of any Pokemon in the original game.

• Comics featuring Chansey can be found in CoroCoro magazines.

• Chansey coins distributed at first ever Pokemon tournament and used in early TCG merchandise.

• Chansey and Pikachu mascots appear at Pokemon tournaments.

• Chansey used in decks to win first ever Pokemon tournaments. Players can thank Chansey for their Pikachu trophy cards.

• Chansey featured in the second ever anime episode, healing Ash’s Pikachu. Chansey’s importance cemented.

• Chansey coins continue to be distributed at tournaments and used in winning decks.

• Chansey included in Vending Series. Machoke Vending Series features Chansey in background art.

• Chansey plays prominent role in Pikachu’s Rescue Adventure from Pokemon: The Movie 2000.

• Chansey chosen as one of only 10 Pokemon to win the Best Photo Snap Contest and receive new promo card.

• Your Name’s Chansey introduced, one of very few Your Name’s Pokemon.

• Chansey starts being included in competitive TCG decks in the USA.

• Chansey included in Super Smash Bros.

• Blissey revealed.

• Chansey selected for inclusion on No. 1 and No. 2 Trainer Cards, one of only 6 Pokemon to receive this immense honor.

• Chansey reprinted with new holo pattern for Base 2.

• Chansey stars in Pokemon Stadium 2 mini-game.

• Chansey chosen as one of 10 Pokemon for use in the Application Pack included with some e-Reader devices to show people how to use their e-Reader.

• Chansey included in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

• Chansey featured in background art of Pokemon Center black star promo given out at the opening of NY Pokemon Center.

• Chansey included in the Media Factory printed Sample Set. This marks the 3rd ultra-rare Chansey card in three years.

• No. 1 and No. 2 Trainers reformatted to include e-Reader. Chansey remains one of only 6 Pokemon to be featured on an e-Reader trophy card.

• Metal Chansey deck used to win 2002 WOTC Professor’s Cup.

• Chansey selected as the iconic colorless Pokemon to receive an ex card in Ruby & Sapphire. This marks Chansey’s last ultra-rare set card for now.

THE DARK AGES

• Chansey included in EX FRLG. Blissey not included since this was a Kanto themed set.

• Chansey included in EX Unseen Forces with Blissey ex. Blissey had usurped Chansey several times before, such as being printed as a holo-rare in Aquapolis while Chansey remained a common, but Chansey had had enough rare cards of their own during this era for it not to be an issue.

• Happiny revealed.

• For the first time since 1997, no new cards with Chansey were released this year.

• First Happiny card.

• Chansey Mysterious Treasures card.

• Chansey Platinum card.

• Chansey HGSS released along with Blissey Prime.

• The end of the DP era signified the first era without a Chansey or Blissey ultra-rare card (previous eras WOTC, Old Back Promos, EX Era).

• No new Chansey cards. For context, in the five years 2006, 07, 08, 09, and 2010, there were three Chansey cards. In the five years 1998, 99, 2000, 01, 02, there were eight Chansey cards and three cards featuring Chansey in background art.

• Audino revealed as Nurse Joy’s companion Pokemon for the Unova Region. Design is a blatant rip-off of Chansey but worse in every way.

• Two Chansey cards in BW Dark Explorers.

• Blissey Prime used in 2nd Place World Championships deck. Chansey included in World Championships promo deck.

• No new Chansey cards - instead, there are two new Audino cards.

• No new Chansey cards. The first ever two-year stretch without a new Chansey.

• The BW Era ends without an ultra-rare Chansey or Blissey.

• Chansey Phantom Forces.

• Audino selected to receive a Mega Evolution.

• No new Chansey cards. Total of one Chansey card in past four years.

• Chansey Evolutions

• Audino EX and Mega Audino EX cards. The XY Era ends with Audino receiving an ultra-rare card but not Chansey or Blissey. This is the first time there have been two consecutive Eras without a Chansey or Blissey ultra-rare.

• Chansey Guardians Rising.

• Chansey Lost Thunder

• In stunning blow, Chansey included in Ultra Shiny GX, but NOT given a Shiny Variant. Things look bleak.

THE RESURGENCE

• The SM Era ends, marking three consecutive Eras without a Chansey or Blissey ultra-rare.

• No new Chansey cards.

• Indeedee introduced with Galarian Nurse Joy as yet another potential replacement for Chansey.

• Chansey chosen as official Mascot for Fukushima. Large amounts of new Chansey-themeed merchandise released. Events featuring Chansey begin.

• The Poke-lid campaign begins with a new wave of Chansey merchandise.

• Chansey and Pikachu donuts for Mister Donut campaign along with an enormous wave of merchandise but still no new cards.

• Chansey overtakes Blastoise as the second most expensive PSA 10 1st Ed. Base card.

• Chansey 1st Ed Base and Shadowless enjoy media attention due to difficulty to grade and become more coveted.

• Pokemon Go Valentine’s Day event features Shiny Happiny and Shiny Chansey.

• New Chansey card in Fusion Strike.

• Blissey V ultra-rare Alt Art features Chansey in background art. The first ultra-rare Chansey or Blissey card in TWELVE YEARS (Blissey Prime 2009 being the previous). This is the first textured Chansey art.

• Blissey V Alt Art used in regional winning tournaments in Japan.

• New Chansey Family sleeves released.

• First Chansey Park begins being built in Fukushima. A series of four Chansey-themed playgrounds are being planned in Japan.

• Chansey wins 1st Place in Twitter contest by Pokemon asking people to vote on their favorite historical coin out of 25 to receive a redesign and new print.

• Blissey V selected to receive new CSR rarity for V MAX Climax

• No new Audino cards have been printed in 2020 or 2021. Audino’s attempt to replace Chansey complete and total failure.

INCREDIBLE DECEMBER 2021 UPDATE: Chansey chosen to represent 1995 Pokemon cards for Creatures employees and Illustrators in commemorative historical deck. Ooyama play test 1995 Chansey reprinted with 25th anniversary stamp and snowflake holo. Chansey gains status as first officially acknowledged 1995 Pokemon card.

44 Likes

am i the only one who wants to know what a chansey egg tastes like, particularly softboiled?

5 Likes

I hope so

1 Like

As a Chansey lover who is clueless on the history of the 'mon, I love this. Looking forward to the full post :blush:

Started updating :grin:

1 Like

5 Likes

Is Audino a crowd favorite? I’ve been out of the loop for a while with respect to modern Pokemon, lol

I really like Audino (and chansey), but Audino gets no love. Afaik the last more than holo that audino got was Audino EX and MAudino EX

Mega Audino EX won worlds tho

Just seyiin.

Audino gang rise up.

3 Likes

8 Likes

You forgot to add Logan cracking the 1st Ed Base Box and screaming about Chansey more than Zard lmao

@qwachansey, Did you forget Neo Destiny Chansey, or did I miss it in the timeline?

I didn’t include some of the WOTC ones such as Destiny and Aquapolis but good idea

That was a fun read. I look forward to the coming Chansey updates!

1 Like

Suck it, Audino.

What’s your fav Chansey card @qwachansey?

1 Like

I can’t pick one! I have some I would consider “always in the top 10” but never a single favorite. Neo Destiny, Lost Thunder, Your Name’s, Snap, Hidden Fates, ex, Vending, No 1 Trainer, Base, Expedition

Gun to your head – you need to throw out all your Chanseys EXCEPT three. Which three do you keep? Value aside (assume they’re all worth the same)

My first Base 2 Chansey, No 1 Trainer and Snap Chansey, as even if it the value is the same those would be the most difficult to get back. Close 4th place to Pokémon Center promo.

Those are some niiice Chanseys (Chansies?)

Base 2 because of sentimental value?