The Pokemon Graveyard-Plan 9 From Outer Space Revisited

May as well add a couple.

Gotta bury:

1. The saggy pants Ultra Pro Graded card sleeves whrn used for PSA cards.

2. All the people who still use tape anywhere inside a shipping package :wink:

3. The “Gem Mint” designation on BGS 9.5s.

3 Likes

Every single Unown card. They’re literally the worst cards to pull from the respective sets they were featured in. And they even made some of them holographic. Must be so devastating to have a heavy pack and then pull a fucking glittering letter from it.

4 Likes

How do you really feel lol.

Why though? It’s fan-made art that has been rewarded by the Pokemon Company International through an official contest… I feel like it’s a great way to allow Pokemon fans who enjoy drawing show off their talent and love for Pokemon at the same time. Sure, the art may not be up to par with normal cards (I beg to differ though since I think some of the art is amazing like Primal Kyogre), but 1) c’mon, it’s younger people (who are not art professionals) who like to draw their favorite pokemon and 2) these cards aren’t “gimmicky,” it’s just that it just so happens that the rewards are worth a lot of money due to secondary collector markets (who collectively decide whether a card is worth a lot or not). In terms of selling/$$$, think they’re also a tad different from fake/custom cards in that their officially sanctioned by tPCI.

I’m only making an impassioned argument because I like the structure of the contest that rewards talented fans (who tend to be younger kids/adolescents that want to draw for the sake of drawing). We should be supporting them as fellow fans of Pokemon.

I would love to bury Hyper Rares, though. I don’t get the artistic appeal of those damn cards.

5 Likes

I guess someone did not enjoy opening the Ex Unseen Forces set then… twenty eight glittery letters, all for you mate!

1 Like

Can we bury Brent from PWCC? :grin:

I would honestly bury single booster blister packs. This won’t be a popular opinion to some collectors, but it’s just a waste of cardboard and it’s an extra cost for both dealers and customers.

2 Likes

And the ridiculous amount of cardboard and plastic packaging used on the collection boxes

2 Likes

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Illustration_contests

A few of these cards genuinely look very nice.

But really, the uniqueness of the cards adds to the hobby imo. Having so many artworks, by different style artists is quite cool, when looking across the hobby as a whole.

For the longest time, I thought many WOTC cards didn’t look good (I started in ex series), but now I can appreciate them.

I think 3/5 Masaki promos (no gengar or alakazam) look pretty dumb, or promo misdreavous, and the WB dragonite promo really looks like an actual amateur drawing to me.

If anything, all but 1 Art academy card has better artwork than all of those. Then you have Rumble cards, Snap cards (aside from bulbasaur), and stuff like delta species dittos, that are all actually so ugly. But I wouldn’t bury them, they are cool in their own weird way.

Say that to my face.

Agree with others about current holo pattern.

1 Like

I may be in the minority here buuuuuuut, I don’t care for reverse holos. I wouldn’t mind seeing them gone and buried.

2 Likes

All except for the Legendary Collection, they’re kinda nice.

1 Like

All good points though I’m not on board for some of them. It would take too long to explain and I would get sick if I wasted too much time on them;)
I will address the “Amazing” artwork claim. The Jpn Set is like an ink blot. The newer set is even worse cause you can actually make out the amateur drawings. This is no offense to the youngsters who drew them. It was certainly a great experience for them and a lifelong memory. They and their family’s should display them prominently and with pride. I just don’t see why anyone else, would.

Now did I know there’d be a niche market for those. Well, yes. As some here may remember I offered $15,000.00 for one winners cards but only for all 100 with one signed…or $10,000.00 for 99 of them. This was before they were even shipped out to them. The father wouldn’t let them do it though. This was purely a business decision though.

1 Like

So all in all you’re just salty because you couldn’t get them? :wink:

That could be part of it lol.

2 Likes

Bill is such a pedo bear…

1st Edition Base Set Machamp… The non Shadowless kind.

I’d say pokemon legend (half cards), and Break cards as they are neither functional for gameplay nor visually appealing to me as a collector. To me they look just like prototypes of some kind.

To be fair, a few were playable, like Entei Raikou, and Rayquaza Deoxys, and for breaks, Greninja comes to mind, but some other, like Yanmega May have seen play.

I think the break cards are very unappealing, but the legend cards look nice in a binder.