The Mystery of Green Zekrom

There a few of these 15th anniversary green Zekrom cards floating around. Supposedly they’re super rare with a mysterious origin. Does anyone have an idea of what that origin is and how it’s different from the black version?

I have a theory that I’ll share, but curious to see what you all think about these first.

Original release

Green version

Is it actually green from multiple angles?

Yes, here is the Mercari listing for reference

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m81978819309

The fun part for me is that Zekrom is not supposed to be a matte-black Pokemon that is just a flat black colour all over, and it really gets lost in the most recent games because they’ve decided to portray it as such.

The stock art for Zekrom definitely shows a green hue as the foundation of his black colour, so if anything the ‘green’ Zekrom card is more proper to me than just a black one. I think the green colouring is meant to be there on every card. But perhaps there were differences in the printing process that means there is some variation in how ‘green’ the card is.

Magenta is the first colour to decompose in UV light :sun_with_face:

This is 100% UV damage. You can tell by the yellowish hue of the fighting energy.

I agree with both of you. Was curious if there was another possible explanation that people may have heard of.