The Giant Floppy Taco Rudy Thread

I never thought “man with 350k youtube subscribers has a lot of fans” would be a contentious point

4 Likes

I think it’s more about whether the person in the video is informed, despite their number of subscribers.

Leonhart and UnlistedLeaf have a million subs and were/are the biggest Poketubers and don’t understand pull rates so what hope is there for their audience learning?

I don’t watch most/all of the hype beasts investor channels but there are tonnes of them and somehow people believe them when they have no inside connections, they aren’t store owners etc.

I guess no one likes to hear the boring reality of pull rates.

1 Like

Rudy is a bit different from those Poketubers because he is a storeowner and does have connections to distributors.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what this has to do with pull rates. For the record I didn’t watch his “pokemon is evil” video, which I’m now going to assume is about pull rates. But I did watch the “3million into pokemon” video and thought the general points were accurate and insightful

I think people often put too much weight into the opinions of these personalities. I’ve seen some extremely insightful rudy videos and some where I thought he was just completely wrong. To me they are just people not unlike many people who are on this forum, just with a much larger megaphone. I just like to expose myself to a range of opinions and pick up little pieces of information from different sources when i think they are valid. I’ll probably watch that most recent video later and see what it’s about

4 Likes

True, but there’s a difference between Mason and Danny Phantump in delivery and presentation.

For transparency, I only saw the first video in this thread and that was my conclusion of who he seemed to be and then that poster backed my impression up. It could be confirmation bias, but where there’s smoke, often there is fire.

It’s not about pull rates. It’s about Pokemon’s incredible success in a bear market and their ability to maintain composure while other card games (cough cough, MTG) are struggling.

I think you’re onto something here.

in a recent video he literally said if the video title is fun/lighthearted, it gets barely any views compared to a doomsday title… so im pretty sure this video (pokemon is evil) is ironically titled as such (as the video content is about how amazing the pokemon tcg is holding up price wise)

sheesh guys.

3 Likes

I think it is nice the pokemon bathroom fiasco did not keep him from trying again!
You should always take his views with a grain of salt but I like it that he also admits when he was wrong about something. So valuable takes on different tcg markets and I love his dry humor, maybe not for everyone…

2 Likes

Anyone is free to have its own opinion and you either like or not Rudy, that wasn’t really the point of this thread I believe.

At least He has the courage to express publicly his opinion. I believe his video is really in relative term , comparing the MTG market versus PKMN. MTG market had it rough from the past year or so, the reason are not clear even though Rudy implies a mis management of the products by MTG… then he moves to Pokemon saying they did right, simply because prices did not collapse.

My view on that, is like comparing apple with orange. We are talking of two different type of demography and strategy on those TCG… I feel like Pokemon is always investing in the future generation either through games, cartoons, and card games… I don’t see that with MTG which is struggling to expand beyond its base (which grow older as time goes).

While I’m sure that Rudy take on Magic is accurate due to his massive experience as a reseller and long time exposure… not sure on the accuracy on pokemon. All opinion has merit, he may be right as he could be wrong… unless he got his information from his ex … that used a travel machine to get back to him with “not necessarily” the best info one would like to get from the future…

There is nothing negative about someone with reach praising pokemon to their followers. The title was meant to be a joke lol

5 Likes

lol so much cardboard

do we need a rudy thread

3 Likes

He surely love cardboards, nice to see such passion.

1 Like

the way rudy talks about this stuff makes you think modern pokemon is the pantheon of investment strategy

7 Likes

You must be new to Rudy’s content.

He is a massive speculator or “investor”. He doesn’t love pokemon, perhaps he likes vintage magic tho.

3 Likes

I’ll rename the thread :joy:

5 Likes

maybe “the giant taco thread” would have suited better :wink:

6 Likes

Giant Floppy Taco
:taco:

5 Likes

Say less

5 Likes

I respect Rudy’s opinion, and though he is not representative of the MtG community as a whole (mostly driven by players, and not collectors) he certainly has a lot of experience in MtG retail, as a business.
BUT, he is not similarly knowledgeable or experienced in PkMn, and I think that points made by many here already, are not wrong - pull rates, print runs, influences of collector market VS player market. All in all, there are things to consider, and certainly good questions to ask, but to get to the initial point, I don’t know that Rudy’s thoughts on the viability of ultramodern will translate to MtG whales devouring the product (singles or sealed). I just don’t think that many people investing in Magic are looking to expand into PkMn, and the bigger MtG channels, don’t mention it at all.

TL;DR
MtG may have deep pockets in it’s community, but that community’s biggest voices are not investing voices. and CERTAINLY not in PkMn. That should be the biggest takeaway.

1 Like

Rudy commenting on a viewer who got hosed investing in graded video games and Rolex watches in 2020/2021.

1 Like