The Giant Floppy Taco Rudy Thread

Are you suggesting that they take the PWCC approach and open each (expensive) booster box that is sold? :eyes:

The rep that helped me with a reverse scam said he wishes their department (Authenticity Guarantee) would just do booster boxes. :pray:

7 Likes

I don’t know. I haven’t given that much thought.

I guess I see the eBay authenticity guarantee as more of a feature that protects sellers against irrational buyers. It is framed as a service to protect buyers, but I think it is safe to say that buyers are more often the ones doing the actual fraud in this sector of the market.

Anyone who has been in this hobby more than 5 minutes should be able to take one glance at a modern English booster box and say if it is real or fake. It’s just so obvious once you have handled a few of them.

Vintage is a different game that might require different standards in some hypothetical authenticity guarantee service, but for modern English one really doesn’t need to scrutinize much. eBay could look at the booster box for 10 seconds, then put a new shipping label on the box and be done.

1 Like

This worked pre-pandemic, not really anymore.

Example: Evolving Skies was available at $143 a box on Pokemon Center earlier this year. It would have been wise to pick it up then, not before rotation.

SWSH base set, Rebel Clash, etc are about to rotate in January. They should have actually rotated out in September. I don’t expect to see any drastic price increase in early SWSH sets when they do rotate. Rebel Clash peaked at 200 in Feb this year, it will not surpass that when rotation hits, at least for a few years.

Reprints & speculation of reprints affect price more now than rotation. People are loading up on Evolving Skies because they think TPCI won’t reprint it, not because it’s going to be rotating out of standard.

Booster boxes behave more like penny stocks than blue chips these days. Their volatility is higher and so you really have to be more aware of their daily trends and related news that can affect their price.

1 Like

Anyone that’s been here longer than one year , and is deep into it, should’ve known that Rudy saying “I don’t see reprints coming” is when to just sit back and not take the vid seriously and watch it for what it is.

6 Likes

I watched the video and I think Rudy really underestimates that bad pull rates for Alt Arts. I think that is one of the key reasons a lot of modern Pokemon boxes have stagnated while the singles have continued to climb. Obviously, things like Evolving Skies is a bit of an exception because it has so many potential good pulls compared to most other SWSH boxes (including Umbreon meme), but it doesn’t change the bad rate of pull on all of them.

So a lot of people I think are just skipping boxes and going straight for the singles. There’s also no telling what TPCI will do in regards to re-prints. Sometimes they’ve printed stuff way later on than expected and the same could happen here, especially knowing the demand for most SWSH boxes.

They aren’t stupid. I think they are just being a lot more responsible now, compared to Hasbro/WOTC who has just been printing and dumping product and diluting every release lately it seems and pissing everyone in Magic off.

1 Like

Breaking: man with a warehouse full of modern boxes tells people to buy modern boxes

23 Likes

maybe MTG has been so bad that most pokemon boxes staying at MSRP equates to huge opportunity but idk I dont see it.

He’s basing it more off the price of the singles vs the sealed box prices and seeing a huge gap between them that should close more over time. In addition, he seems to be speculating that Pokemon won’t be re-printing a lot of these SWSH sets since the block is coming to an end soon. I can definitely buy into the idea that boxes should be priced higher over time if the singles stay strong, but there’s no telling if the re-prints are going to end all of a sudden like this.

As far as MTG goes, WOTC/Hasbro has just continually been making stupid decisions and managing their releases way worse than Pokemon. In addition, they’re also just doing a lot of other things that have angered people, including more or less legitimizing proxy cards and not living up to the reserved list promise as of recent.

2 Likes

ah that makes absolute sense as to why rudy would get that impression. I opened one modern box and I will literally never do that again it was such crap. I do watch rudy’s vids but probably wont watch this one. I really don’t like watching pokemon youtube videos ever since 2020 everyone thinks they are warren buffett

2 Likes

I really like Rudy and his content but would NOT take his advice on PokĂ©mon. SWSH sets will continue to be printed and we will see them in V boxes, collection boxes, etc all throughout next year even with S&V era starting in 23’.

1 Like

This thread is a great reminder to just buy singles. I occasionally get the itch to buy a modern booster box with a new set release but then I just buy the singles. The EV is so bad on modern boxes that I honestly wonder why people buy and open them

3 Likes

wild that he thinks this. !remindme 1 year we will see if evolving skies gets reprinted

1 Like

he also said make sure that you buy as much fusion strike at release due to a massively low print

4 Likes

:sob:

1 Like

Saying ‘I dont see reprints coming’ for sets less than a year old simply because Pokemon have other big sets to print is pretty dangerous imo. Pokemon’s printing capacity is massive, they could easily slot in a massive brilliant stars, evolving skies & fusion strike reprint after the release of Crown Zenith before the new era starts. Which would absolutely smoke a ton of modern holders

3 Likes

alt art singles are where its at, but he does not sell those so might as well go to the second best thing

2 Likes

Just a note about Rudy’s thoughts on reprints:

Rudy gets his information directly from distributors. These large distributors clearly haven’t heard anything from TCPi, which made him jump to the conclusion that large reprints are not coming. Of course, this type of information can change on a dime, and I suspect that it will.

4 Likes

Yeah, a lot of things Rudy has been saying lately has been misleading on certain fronts. For example, his recent video about Revised Dual Lands “crashing” 50% is not actually valid. The buylists from some stores has crashed 50%, but the actual market values aren’t reflecting that fully yet and is unclear if they will. A lot more clickbait lately, I think he is sitting on some heavy bags (Hasbro stock & bad MTG boxes) and is trying to pump up his video numbers & sales to make up for a bad year.

Rudy is exceptionally wealthy. I do not think that he is concerned about his income/returns this year. He - along with most large YouTube creators - is trying to play toward the algorithm with eye-catching titles and thumbnails. Unfortunately, the YouTube algorithm encourages this type of behavior.

1 Like