The Giant English Market Thread

Honestly I’d do neither right now. I don’t know where you got that 1 in 46 boxes figure from but I can tell you that PSA has already graded 24 of them, BGS has graded at least 10 and CGC has graded at least 5 in the less than 3 weeks the set has been out. On top of that there are over 150 raw copies right now available on the eBay US website.

Personally I’d wait a few months. Chances are the market will still be flooded with them but they won’t be shiny and new so far less people will care about them then and the price will be lower.

2 Likes

Will Evolving Skies Booster boxes, come back down in price, my pre order got cancelled, that I made last month. Now prices are over $200 - $250. For a box

With any of the reprints. I’m looking forward, when Pokemon will be able to print more cards.

I predict they will 100% come down in price.

3 Likes

With Celebrations coming out and the teaming waves of Evolving Skies and the massive reprints that are bound to happen, yes.

All new sets will collapse in prices when reprints hits the market.

1 Like

www.elitefourum.com/t/an-elaborate-attempt-at-print-run-estimation-wip-5-8-18/20273/1

if you extrapolate this information based on these assumptions, it might give you an idea of how massive modern print runs may be. the amount of cards is ridiculous for singles, regardless if it’s SR, UR, alt art, but obviously, the pokemon fan base is massive as well. i definitely enjoy the art and the thrill of opening boxes that are more or less MSRP for the experience. evolving skies definitely has many cards i was ecstatic to obtain. i am not sure if base MSRP is suppose to go up in the near future, but i feel like boxes that are around 100-120 these days will not be around for long. post-release, evolving skies has maintained and increased in prices for the box. i think that’s pretty telling sign that this is an extremely popular product. the single cards will definitely drop, as more boxes being opened means more card pops. and yes, modern cards are mostly sleeved immediately, so mint condition is nothing special. it’s expected. right now, grading costs are pretty high since you can only submit via the higher tiers. any graded cards will have a pretty big premium.

As I’m trying to complete my 1st Ed. PSA 10 Jungle & Fossil sets, I’ve been following their prices very closely on both eBay, IG, and a couple other sources over the past several months. I don’t think these sets merit their own thread like EX and base, but wanted to share the state of the market for those sets right now. I’ll also put some stray thoughts at the bottom for anyone interested!

Jungle

1. Clefable - $3,000 (7/21) - Private, IG
  2. Electrode - $800 (6/21) - eBay
  3. Flareon - $1,800 (8/21) - Private, IG
  4. Jolteon - $2,200 (8/21) - Private, IG
  5. Kangaskhan $3,650 (3/21) - eBay
  6. Mr. Mime $1,000 (9/21) - Private, IG
  7. Nidoqueen $1,000 (9/21) - eBay
  8. Pidgeot $1,500 (7/21) - Private, IG
  9. Pinsir $1,200 (7/21) - Private, IG
  10. Scyther $1,600 (9/21) - Private, PWCC
  11. Snorlax $8,500 (8/21) - Private, IG
  12. Vaporeon $9,000 (9/21) - Private, IG
  13. Venomoth $800 (8/21) - Private, IG
  14. Victreebel $1,250 (9/21) - Private, IG
  15. Vileplume $960 (7/21) - PWCC
  16. Wigglytuff $2,000 (6/21) - Private, IG
    17-64. approximately $8,640

PSA 10 Set - $48,900
Booster Box - $12,100 (8/21) - eBay

Fossil

1. Aerodactyl - $900 (9/21) - eBay
  2. Articuno - $2325 (8/21) - eBay
  3. Ditto - $770 (9/21) - eBay
  4. Dragonite - $4,827 (8/21) - eBay
  5. Gengar - $1,975 (9/21) - eBay
  6. Haunter - $700 (9/21) - eBay
  7. Hitmonlee - $1,000 (9/21) - eBay
  8. Hypno - $775 (9/21) - eBay
  9. Kabutops - $849 (9/21) - eBay
  10. Lapras - $3,200 (9/21) - eBay
  11. Magneton - $530 (9/21) - eBay
  12. Moltres - $1,050 (9/21) - eBay
  13. Muk - $300 (9/21) - eBay
  14. Raichu - $1,800 (8/21) - Private, IG
  15. Zapdos - $550 (9/21) - eBay
    16-62. approximately $6,000

PSA 10 Set - $27,550
Booster Box - $11,800 (8/21) - eBay

Here’s my stray thoughts on these two sets to take with a grain of salt!

Jungle booster boxes have seen a much larger retrace, and considering the spread between the value of the two sets, it’s a little bit of a head scratcher for me. Jungle saw a pretty large dip a few months ago, but for the most part has rebounded nicely (Jolteon for example sold for $1,400, and is now back above $2,000). Fossil on the other hand has settled a bit lower (Lapras just over $3,000 after some very high priced sales).

I wonder if this is due to the immovability of Jungle population reports versus Fossil. Something I’ve always found interesting about Jungle is how low the populations are on a lot of these cards, given the popularity and presumed print run of the set. This potentially explains why Jungle seems to be more private market driven with low supply on eBay compared to Fossil.

I know this isn’t a 1:1, but when you compare the average populations of Base Set 1st Editions to Jungle 1st Editions - they’re actually very similar. If you remove the outliers (Machamp from base due to availability, Flareon from Jungle due to ease of grading), the averages get even closer (88 for base, 92 for Jungle). If you’re curious about Fossil, the average population is 222. Clearly demand rules here, but it’s fun to think about the potential scarcity of Jungle!

I’ve rambled enough, but hope someone finds this interesting.

12 Likes

I love this! Anyone do this for any of the Neo sets?? Hint hint :blush:

1 Like

I have a decent amount of knowledge on Neo Genesis since I’m going to try to collect that next and can do a similar analysis. Granted my knowledge of the private market will be lower for all Neo sets.

1 Like

Whoever bought out the Rayquaza VMAX RR on TCGPlayer: LOL

You’re gonna try collect a PSA 10 1st ed Neo genesis set?

RIP wallet

3 Likes

Asian regions: let’s make some special promo cards with limited releases
English: put it in da box

www.pokeguardian.com/740395_vaporeon-vmax-jolteon-vmax-flareon-vmax-premium-collection-revealed-special-art-cards

6 Likes

This is horrible

Looks like they are coming as a jumbo and regular sized card in english? That’s too bad, as I was hoping the Japanese lottery release would have been an exclusive release for this art. Regardless I’ll start target the Japanese release over the English one

Unpopular Opinion: I’m glad that this is being mass printed in English. I just want the art for my Flareon collection, fully understand that I’m not entitled to anything. I’m super excited that I don’t have to give up a kidney to hope that someone in Japan will win one from the lottery system and then sell it to me at a massive mark-up.

12 Likes

Slight conjecture but Hasbro finished their acquisition of Wizards of the Coast in September 1999 so only Base Set and Jungle were released in english prior to WotC’s acqusition. That could be potentially the catalyst for the absurd increase in printing in 1999-2000 to flatter Hasbros’ publicly traded stock in their accounts. It bit them in the proverbial butt soon though as they over saturated the market with too few different cards (less than 300 up to Rocket).

That’s a pretty good observation and actually, ironically enough, the average population for TR PSA 10s is very similar to Fossil (242 TR, 222 Fossil).

Averages obviously don’t mean too much…so many variables at play there… but I do wonder if Jungle 1st print run was a lot more limited than what is traditionally thought.

It’s still special because it’s hard to get gem mint 10 for modern cards when I send them in for grading.

A perfect card without whitenings, dots and scratches still get a 9 or 8. Really makes me wonder if the conspiracy theory of population control is true!

And some others who broke PSA 9 slabs to submit again and they got gem mint 10!

Centering is usually the issue for modern cards. Doesn’t matter if a card is in perfect condition. If it is off center, then it can get an 8 or 9.

Getting PSA 10 on modern is not difficult for seasoned collectors with grading experience. I got 91% PSA 10 rate on a 118 modern card order and another 3 that had 100% but they were 10-15 cards each.

That being said there was a few evolving Skies cards that are graded for $200 a piece but got six and sevens. As good as the quality is, there are still plenty that won’t get 10s and so I’m sure there’s always going to be a premium for those cards

2 Likes