The Giant English Market Thread

Sounds like a good idea. Wouldn’t those conversations be appropriate to discuss in The Giant Auction Thread?

1 Like

Would they be? Not everything that sells is an auction.

2 Likes

@hyruleguardian I thought the thread was for all kinds of listings, but if that’s not the case, maybe we could create a new thread.

Regardless, this was a great idea @smpratte!

1 Like

oh no

2 Likes

I know I never take place in auctions myself. I’m a buy it now or make a offer type of guy :slight_smile: but I see everyone’s points. Mixing everything together might make for some real sloppy discussions that bounce around but sounds entertaining regardless. We’re going to mix all threads into one big thread soup haha

1 Like

smells like broke in here

1 Like

PSA 9 1st Ed blastoise thin stamp currently in auction is at $2650 man wt about those thick boys!! must be over 3k at this rate

1 Like

Some auction results of WOTC cards over the last 4 days…

PSA 10 1st edition:

• Fossil Dragonite $2,850
  • Jungle Kangaskhan $2,827
  • Sabrina’s Gengar $2,300
  • Fossil Gengar $1,925
  • Brock $1,925
  • Rocket’s Scyther $1,775 / $1,425
  • Discovery Tyranitar $1,630
  • Lt. Surge’s Fearow $1,552
  • Jungle Jolteon $1,400
  • Dark Dragonite $1,075
  • Jungle Pidgeot $1,030
  • Jungle Scyther $1,025
  • Jungle Nidoqueen $1,009
  • Jungle Pinsir $965
  • Lt. Surge $960
  • Genesis Meganium #11 $910
  • Jungle Victreebel $811
  • Rocket’s Mewtwo $805
  • Fossil Moltres $690
  • Dark Raichu $690
  • Fossil Zapdos $611
  • Brock’s Rhydon $615
  • Misty’s Tentacruel $611
  • Genesis Skarmory $605
  • Genesis Togetic $580 / $560
  • Fossil Kabutops $569
  • Fossil Hitmonlee $568
  • Misty $540
  • Erika’s Dragonair $535

PSA 9 1st edition:

• Base Blastoise (thin) $2,761
  • Blaine’s Charizard $1,175
  • Base Ninetales (thin) $915
  • Genesis Typhlosion #18 $630
  • Fossil Dragonite $583
  • Sabrina’s Gengar $550
  • Blaine’s Moltres $465

PSA 10 Unlimited:

• Base Venusaur $715
  • Base Raichu $610
  • Blaine’s Arcanine $685
  • Skyridge Alakazam $622
  • Gyarados $410

PSA 9 Unlimited:

• Crystal Lugia $1,185
  • Expediton Charizard $630
  • Jungle Snorlax $315
  • Venusaur $275

Interesting Active Listings:

• PSA 9 1st edition Base Gyarados (thick) $1,025+
  • PSA 9 1st edition Discovery Umbreon $609+
  • PSA 9 1st edition Feraligatr #5 $455+
11 Likes

Looking at the prices of those Gym cards… If you could get a Gym box at 6.5k or whatever recent sales have been and magically grade everything instantly, you’d probably make a profit. The print quality in that set is pretty good… If you assume 6 10s and 6 9s for the holos would be nice to run the numbers and see.

4 Likes

PSA8 1st Ed zard sold for a new record $7300!! and a 9 is at pwcc in auction maybe a new record is on it way for that too

4 Likes

Crazy times! I’m so thankful that I bought mine last year

1 Like

I’ve posted about this before but I’ll share it here with some updated data:

Throughout 2019 there were 7 PSA 9 1st Edition Neo Genesis Pichus publicly sold on eBay. The lowest sold for $41 and the highest sold for $81.05 (with a further sale of $46 happening a couple of months after the $81.05 sale). So far this year there there have already been 8 public sales on eBay, the lowest sold for $110 in January and the highest sold for $520 in April.

In the thread I made about this last month the conclusion was that the price increase is due to two factors:

1. This is a correction: 1st Edition Neo Genesis booster box prices have gone up whilst card prices have not;
  2. Supply is low.

There are 5 of these cards available right now on eBay, so I don’t believe supply is a factor. 5 of the 8 cards to have sold so far this year were sold between April 5th and May 5th, with the highest sale occurring on April 25th.

Factoring in all sales PSA is aware of, going back to September 2016, the average sale price for this card has gone up from $54.53 in September 2019 to $121.75 as of 5th May. The yearly average has gone from $28.50 in 2016 up to $51.92 in 2017 (82.2%) up to $61.49 in 2018 (18.43%) down to $55.15 in 2019 ( -10.32%) up to $260.48 in the first 5 months of 2020 (372.31%).

My personal take on this is that if I owned a PSA 9 1st Edition Neo Genesis Pichu right now I would already have it listed for sale on eBay. I’ve already sold the 3 raw PSA 6 to PSA 8 copies I owned for significantly more than I value them to be worth. I do not believe this price will become the new selling point for a card which only last year had very little interest.

I’m eager to see how this plays out over the course of the year.

3 Likes

I had to basically pull teeth to sell my psa 9 expedition Charizard last year for $140 last year if anyone needs a reference point.

If I could bet against this card I would. I think it will be -50% within 2 years from that $500 sale. Neo has to be the most overvalued set now… especially 1st 9s. Expect a massive supply response in neo in particular. 7s and 8s are now worth grading!

1 Like

This is what I really should’ve done. Left this card on the back burner for far too long.

I think this is almost a thousand dollars over the last PSA 8. Yikes. However I always wanted a 9 or very strong 8 for my binder set (which may now have to be a custom made PSA binder set, we’ll see) and at least in pictures this was a great 8. So it’s not *too* much over what I would have paid for a weak 9 last year. The grade doesn’t matter to me since I’ll be cracking or hiding it to only show the card if I do a custom binder. If it plummets down to last year’s prices I’ll be thrilled since it’ll mean I can buy another.

3 Likes

I wish I’d finished my 1st ed base set collection before the increase of prices, still have around 15 cards left including 4 holos. I’ve had many opportunities on several of the cards but always waited and/or got sidetracked with secondary goals. Well, lesson learned. Focus on the main goals first

2 Likes

Notable stride from Modern:
PSA10 SV60 Espeon Gx from HF sold for $300 on 5/13 via BIN. Someone bought out the HF Espeon, Umbreon, and Sylveon from most third party sites we would know, so they run $80+ for raw versions now. Interesting play, time will tell how Eeveelutions fare. While modern is popular discussion, please limit opinions to keep thread with less speculation and more market notes. If you’d like… to not butcher the thread

is someone trying to do a buyout on a modern card?

1 Like

I wonder how successful that would be considering the new rerelease of hidden fates products that are hitting stores now

1 Like

the target near us has had hidden fates product consistently stocked up until at least a month ago. and they still might I just haven’t checked. and I live in a major market (Chicago). I bought at least 50 packs worth at retail prices directly from the store and could have purchased much more if I had wanted to buy it all out. I just think it’s crazy when I see all of the marked-up packs being sold on ebay when it’s still in stores

2 Likes